A little confused about eating changes

Options
For 60 days, I was on very low carb eating. Less than 10 carbs a day (though it was usually more like 5 or less). I was never hungry. I always felt great.

Now I am upping that carb count to about 15. I'm finding that I'm stuffed. Today I ate lunch while not hungry in order to get my calorie intake high enough because yesterday I found myself NOT hungry at 7:00PM with only 745 calories in. That was a lot of calories I had to take in during one sitting. I went to bed STUFFED! and my body was just going to have to be satisfied with an 1146 daily total. (My doctor said it should be closer to 1500)

Right now, I am at about 1,000 calories and it's time to fix dinner. I feel like I just got up from a Thanksgiving Day meal even though lunch was quite a while ago. I just don't have room for a 9-ounce steak in me. (I'm at my carb limit) I'm too stuffed to exercise.

this couldn't really be a diet, could it? I felt like this when I was getting fat!

Replies

• UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Wow 10 net carbs?! I used to do 20 net carbs but I don't know if I could do 10. Maybe it's just bloating from the carbs? Sometimes I tend to feel like that if I've eatin too many carbs. I've heard that if you keep your carbs too low that it could mess around with your body's reaction to carbs. I have found this a little true. Now if I eat over 100 carbs I can guarantee that I have gained a pound or two.

Try drinking water and eating the steak. Tomorrow try doing it all over again. You have to give your body enough time to adapt to something new.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to advise you if you opened your diary. I'm guessing you're getting in a ton of fiber (eating a ton of veggies and salad?), and that is what's making you feel "stuffed"

Try to get in more healthy fats from calorie dense foods. Almonds, avocados, cheese, bacon, salmon, peanut butter.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat more calorie dense foods? Two Tbsps of peanut butter alone have an average of 200 calories.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    10 net carbs is easy for me. Peanut butter has too many carbs. Cream cheese, on the other hand, is nice and high-fat. Cream cheese and macadamia nuts. Yum!

Maybe eat more times throughout the day?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I just upped my protein and I'm having the same issue.. I'm stuffed before dinner and the only reason I eat dinner is because after my workout I know i need to eat something. I up the calories by adding a ton of veggies to everything. but i never eat back the exercise calories and I rarely get the 1200 recommended on here.. esp since I upped the protein.

I don't believe in cutting anything out of your diet.. it just means that if you eat it you'll gain weight.. esp carbs! I eat everything, and I lose weight.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    10 net carbs is easy for me. Peanut butter has too many carbs. Cream cheese, on the other hand, is nice and high-fat. Cream cheese and macadamia nuts. Yum!

Maybe eat more times throughout the day?

peanut butter has just 4 net carbs per serving-i cant imagine only eating 10 net carbs...i eat waaaaay more than that and am at a healthy weight. i think 100 net carbs is too low. healthy carbs have a place in an eating plan...wow this is mind boggling to me
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    For 60 days, I was on very low carb eating. Less than 10 carbs a day (though it was usually more like 5 or less). I was never hungry. I always felt great.

Now I am upping that carb count to about 15. I'm finding that I'm stuffed. Today I ate lunch while not hungry in order to get my calorie intake high enough because yesterday I found myself NOT hungry at 7:00PM with only 745 calories in. That was a lot of calories I had to take in during one sitting. I went to bed STUFFED! and my body was just going to have to be satisfied with an 1146 daily total. (My doctor said it should be closer to 1500)

Right now, I am at about 1,000 calories and it's time to fix dinner. I feel like I just got up from a Thanksgiving Day meal even though lunch was quite a while ago. I just don't have room for a 9-ounce steak in me. (I'm at my carb limit) I'm too stuffed to exercise.

this couldn't really be a diet, could it? I felt like this when I was getting fat!

Why do you think hunger is a requirements for eating anyway? Just spread your calories, protein, fats, carbs, water and fibre rich foods out better through the day. One problem with very low carb is that you need to eat a huge pile of nuts and seeds to get your daily intake of minerals and fibre, and these are very satiating. Another is that eating much less can confuse your hunger and satiety signals or shrink your stomach so you are not used to normal meals. Also fruit and veggies contain carbs so you can miss out on the antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fibre these supply. Don't fall into the trap of thinking healthy low carb is huge servings of meat and eggs and cheese, you should still be eating a huge range of different foods.
  • bacitracin
    Options
    peanut butter has just 4 net carbs per serving-i cant imagine only eating 10 net carbs...i eat waaaaay more than that and am at a healthy weight. i think 100 net carbs is too low. healthy carbs have a place in an eating plan...wow this is mind boggling to me

Ketogenic diets are used for managing many medical maladies, like migraines, seizures, and so on. The fact that they work extremely well over the long-term for burning body fat is just proverbial icing on the cake. Your body doesn't "need" carbs, they're just an easy fuel source. If you eat carbs and you're healthy, more power to you. I can't eat hardly any carbs before I gain body fat percentage. :/ It's sad because I love fruit.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Ketogenic diets are used for managing many medical maladies, like migraines, seizures, and so on. The fact that they work extremely well over the long-term for burning body fat is just proverbial icing on the cake. Your body doesn't "need" carbs, they're just an easy fuel source. If you eat carbs and you're healthy, more power to you. I can't eat hardly any carbs before I gain body fat percentage. :/ It's sad because I love fruit.

This is scary. Don't follow this.
  • 13Jools
    13Jools Posts: 10
    Options
    http://youtu.be/vRe9z32NZHY Watch this video
  • bacitracin
    Options

This is scary. Don't follow this.
    Uhm, excuse me? She's already on a ketogenic diet. What is scary about it? It's a medically recommended diet for some people. I went for 7 months without eating hardly any vegetables at all and no fruit. I was in "amazing: shape as far as blood pressure and cholesterols go. My doctor told me to add butter and fish oil supplements and 3 months later, I was "perfect".

What is so scary? The fact that the SAD (standard american diet) of high-carb low-fat is wrong? Don't you see that that's what's caused the obesity epidemic?