OMG, MFP. Where have you been all my life??!

Options
Hi all...

I'm new as of today and I'm already obsesssssed. Love love love! I'm getting really excited about joining the community.

Two questions for anyone who can answer:
(1) I noticed that when I log my strength exercises, there's no increase in calories.... Is it worth it to log the exercises anyways? I really love how efficient MFP is--the barcoding, OH MY GOODNESS--and I do lots of circuit training, so I feel like it's not worth it if it doesn't impact my calories.

(2) How, how, how do you get around not drinking alcohol / deal with explaining to your friends that you can only have one cocktail?

Add me as a friend! I'm looking for lots of support, please.

xxA

Replies

• DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey, pretty much felt this way when I discovered the app 110 days ago and not looked back since. Definitely changed how I eat, train etc :)

1) Strength wise, some people log it under cardio and guess although personally I just upped my cal target a few hundred to account for the burn and kept under TDEE. I do 90 mins of strength training a day but still looking to lose some BF% so just playing around to find what works for you. No one on here or otherwise would suggest cutting out strength training, it is def worth it :)

2) I also do drink alcohol in fair moderation (not one or two, lots but just only once or twice a month) but log them in and try to stick to vodka diet cokes (most clear sprits, diet mixer) which aren't too awful on the calories. Stick within your goals and don't binge on rubbish food the next day (like I always used to!) and it won't ruin your targets.

I also have a cheat day once a week, again personal preference but keeps me sane to have a day to look forward to and not worry about going over.

Hope this helps, feel free to add.

D
  • Redkestrel
    Redkestrel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi A,

I signed up 3 days ago and am also completely obsessed. Seriously -- what an awesome site! It's so much better than Weight Watchers Online -- like 1000x! And it's FREEEEEEEE :)

To answer your questions -- well the first question I can't actually answer because I've been logging my gym classes and yoga under cardio. (Although I believe yoga is more strength, but it's not listed there). The second question is easy to answer.

It's a difficult situation for sure. However -- I have two completely separate pieces of advice:

1) If you work out during the day, you can have more than one drink on special occasions. Just make sure you stick to something like vodka, water and Crystal Light or Mio. In a bar, order vodka and soda with lime in tall glass. This way, you still have one shot in a drink that will last a lot longer than a short highball glass.

2) If your friends are actually true friends, they'll have your back and be supportive. I once made 2 drinks last all night with water and lime in between. Nobody knew it wasn't vodka. :D I know it's not as fun, but you won't be hungover the next morning! If you do decide to let it all hang out and go wild, don't beat yourself up. Just get back on the wagon the next day. Life is about balance and great experiences. You can't sit on your computer counting calories every night! :)

Best of luck and enjoy the experience!
  • DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    An explanation re strength training in case you're interested -

Because lifting weights is anabolic (without oxygen) and the intensity and speed at which you lift them can't be easily measured it is impossible for MFP to calculate how many cals you would burn. Also because of the type of exercise you burn during but ALSO up to 48 after you finish the exercise as the muscle repair and build. Strength training is therefore very good at burning calories and should not be left out of your fitness goals even if it can't easily be logged even with something like a heart rate monitor during exercise.

Sure there are better explanations on the message boards but that might explain a little of why things are this way :)
  • alt4598
    Options
    Thanks, all! This helps a lot...

Yes, I LOVE doing strength training... I was just confused on why it didn't make my calorie goal go up :) All about the weight lifting. Am I weird for thinking it's really fun? I feel like Lara Croft Tomb Raider.
  • findingmyfit
    Options
    The barcoding is SICK!!! Especially the tracker and being able to customize your goals/macros. Heck yeah! I'm addicted. I joined sometime early this month. MFP being free is so mind blowing. Geez... :) I'm sure you'll do amazing.
  • krrs1980
    krrs1980 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I also do the vodka drinks. Having one right now, actually :) You can pre-log the calories and then plan your day around that if you know you will want to have a few drinks later in the evening.
  • Clarissa11s
    Clarissa11s Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Lol I feel the same way about MFP. I scan everything! I started earlier this month and have found everyone so supportive... Feel free to add!