question for teachers and homeschoolers

katy_trail
katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
My son is struggling to get his home schooling work done. he's getting slower and slower.
it's glacial. hours and hours. he especially hates writing, but now his lack of speed is affecting (or effecting?)
his other subjects or lack of subjects he's getting so far behind.
He's 12, generally about a 7th grade level in school work.

Replies

• jsmcintyre
    jsmcintyre Posts: 26 Member
    What has motivated your son in the past? The rapid changes of adolescence can sometimes slow kids down and cause them to want to sleep a lot. You have to keep the press on, and find out what motivates him to do what needs to be done. Appropriate consequences may be in order.
  • katy_trail
    He has been motivated to get his homework done on time or early to do drawing and video games.
    he sometimes has trouble focusing, but much of the time he says he is doing his best, and working as fast as he can.
    timers usually have no effect anymore. he does seem to need sleep more than last year, but even later in the day.
    it's glacial. then he's stuck working when his siblings are already done with their HW, and can play video games,
    which obviously depresses him. but he rarely has free time anymore to do what he wants, bc he's either wasting his time or just not getting it done some how.
  • hlfunnell
    hlfunnell Posts: 17 Member
    I was homeschooled for three years and I found that the worry of getting homework done was enough. If your son is getting away with not doing the work that might make him less motivated to do it.

If it's just he's struggling perhaps getting a tutor to help him with it or if he already has a tutor and that is who the homework is for asking them for their advice/opinion on why he is slowing down?

Also - I'm sure as you're on this site you're clued up on healthy eating - but perhaps his diet is affecting brain-power and energy levels. If he is teenage he'll probably need an extra boost as adolescence takes a lot out of you! Either that or an illness (glandular fever? - my sister was exhausted and unmotivated for months when she had it and only after a blood test did we find this was the cause!)
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    I can't quite tell via your question but it sounds like you are homeschooling yes?

Have you tried a different kind of curriculum/ approach?
  • katy_trail
    yes, the home schooling is with me, except math with dad.
    if he has an illness, he's depressed.
    it's a cycle of not getting his work done, not having free time in the evenings, again the next day. whatever isn't done takes up his free time. his behavior is that he's just given up that he can even do a basic 5 subject day.

what kind of approach am I supposed to do. I just need the kid to do the basics and no matter the assignment
    it takes hours. pre- writing. hours. and there's a half page or less written on it. something that in the past would have taken him much less time when he was used to a public school environment.