Am I losing weight too fast?

Options
I've just been at this for two weeks, 15 days, to be exact. I have lost 17 pounds already. I have been just under my calorie goal most days. A couple days I was way under because I wasn't feeling well and didn't eat much. I want to do this the right and healthy way. I'm a little concerned that I'm losing too fast and something might be wrong, not with me but with my calorie goals. I've set my weight, age (and didn't lie) and my activity level. MFP tells me I should eat 1860 calories a day. Should I be concerned or just be happy about it?

P.S. I set my goal at 1 lb. per week. I'm averaging about a pound a day.

Replies

• beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't know your personal habits, etc, so I don't know if we are comparable, but I will say in my first two weeks, I lost 14 pounds. I believe it was primarily because I quit drinking soda cold turkey and I dropped a TON of water weight. Once that was done, I stabilized down to a 2 pound, or so, per week loss. Did you make any significan dietary changes, like my soda change, which could account for a rapid early weight loss?
  • Ncage1974
    Ncage1974 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How do you feel in general? Are you starving all the time? Are you light headed or feel week? If the answer to both of those questions is no then i wouldn't worry about it but just don't get down on yourself when things start to slow down. Realize that when you first start is when the weight just seems come off very quickly but trust me things will slow down. Also a lot of that weight can be attributed to water loss which is one of the best reasons i think a daily weighing is a bad idea.
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It is pretty common if people have a big amount to drop (or more than like 10/20 pounds) that the first bit just falls off, especially with men.

It is also possible you are under-estimating your calorie burn during exercise.

Your food diary looks good and as long as your energy levels are good I think you are fine. I wouldn't be surprised if you hit a bit of a "wall" for a few weeks though.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Beginner losses - it'll slow down to about 1lb a week eventually :)
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Beckimj:...I did make a couple of very significant changes. I was a heavy soda, latte and coffee with cream and sugar drinker. I have quit drinking latte's and soda all together and I drink only one cup of coffee in the morning. I also used to eat heavy "snacks" late at night before going to bed. I have also quit doing this. Thanks for the idea.

Ncage:... I feel fine, not hungry, eating at regular intervals (most days) Thank you!