New at this and just curious

Options
Is it normal for weight to fluctuate up & down when you first start a weight loss program? Seems to me I heard that somewhere but can't recall. I went from 207 to 197 in 9 days (which seemed to me to be excessive to say the least!), but now it seems to be going up again to 198. Is this like a sign of your body breaking into a new situation? I haven't increased calories. In fact, a few days I've been under by 2 or 3 hundred (not intentional -nothing to do with eating disorders or anything- just finding it hard to calculate %'s and sometimes end up short a couple hundred or so.)

Replies

• col315
    col315 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can go up and down within 1-3 lbs no problem. Calores are not the only thing involved, hydration, fatigue that one may not be aware of, time of day you weigh yourself, sometimes I wonder if emotions have anything to do with a particular weight on a particular day - I am not sure. But some days I expect to have lost something and another time I am sure I am up, only to be wrong. Be patient with yourself, be very reasonable with yourself and just keep trying. If you reduce calorie intake and increase calorie expenditure the weight will come off. I try to keep in mind the amount of time it took to gain the weight - for me, quite awhile. Be friendly to yourself on this "trip." Best of luck.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    It's normal for most people's weight to vary throughout the day and day to day, even if you're not on a diet.

You're new here and will learn not to get too hung up on the scale. I only weigh once a week at the most.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    the first time i attempted a 'lifestyle change' (i don't like the 'd' word) i lost 11 pounds in the first 6 days. i think a large part of it was the increase in water consumption, the drop in sodium intake, and just overall eating healthier.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I can go up and down 3 pounds easily in a day. But it keeps bouncing lower and lower!