A bit of a rant -

Options
2»

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I went to a seminar once of marketing and one of the speaker referred to most commercials as "mind rape". He said the marketing industry put a ton of money and brain power into figuring out how to get into the minds of Americans to force them to buy products they really didn't want. I never forgot that.
    A couple of books you would probably enjoy:

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwashing-The-Science-Thought-Control/dp/0199204780/ref=pd_sim_b_1

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Mind-Physiology-Conversion-Brainwashing/dp/1883536065/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358904618&sr=1-1&keywords=battle+for+the+mind+a+physiology+of+conversion+and+brainwashing
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Please explain to me how a diet of fruit and vegetables would be healthier than the fast foods you mentioned. I am very interested in learning about why you believe this.

This is easy enough to answer. A consistent diet of fruits and veggies, in conjunction with ample protein and healthy fats will provide the body a wealth of essential and non essential auxiliary micronutrients. Vitamins, fiber, minerals that a cheeseburger does not give you. It also is the primary source of anti oxidants, maintains healthier blood sugar levels in the overweight and diabetic, and generally will even out your energy profile, less crashing and peaking.

I completely agree that individuals that already have a strong nutritional foundation can include "junk" foods, but for those that are struggling already with obesity, usually one double cheeseburger is never enough. There's a mental element to "craving" junk foods, and eating junk food usually pronounces the need for it.

For those of you who have traveled the journey of being very very fat to pretty fit (as I have), it's so strange we forget that being healthy is not always about weight loss. =)
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I am sick to death of all the garbage that is advertised on tv . McDonald's - and other fast food . Pizzas , tacos , junk food . It's no wonder most of America is overweight ! I want to see apple commercials . Vegetable commercials . The number of healthy food commercials should outweigh the junk commercials ! Ok I know produce is farmed by people who can't afford tv adds . It just seems to me if people where hearing how good fruits and veggies are during their tv viewing time maybe we wouldn't have such an epedemic on our hands . Ok rant over -

Problem is the conspiracy theorists would then claim the produce farmers had been lobbying the US government to con you all into thinking seven to nine servings of fruit and veg is necessary/ beneficial to health. In the last few days I've read on here that your official healthy eating guidelines are high in toxic meat due to the meat industry, high in evil grains due to the grain industry, include dangerous dairy for the benefit of the dairy farmers ....

Meanwhile junk food manufacturers have long since cottoned that advertising is far more effective method of boosting profits than lobbying or getting a starring role in the healthy eating guidelines.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I had a McRib over the holidays...It wasn't quite as delicious at I used to think they were when I ate like a pig...it was still good, but repulsive at the same time. Things in moderation are ok...I hit my lowest weight ever on Sunday. But Moderation doesn't mean once during the day, and once during the night.
  • Cptrob
    Cptrob Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    this is part of the "problem" too.. Blaming a TV commercial for decisions we make??? wow. I'm sure 20 commercials of broccoli would make Timmy and Billy go to the farm instead of Burger King.

How about some accountability??
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I think TV itself is just as much of an epidemic and an issue as the prevalence of unhealthy foods.

I don't plan to have cable in the future if I can help it - if there are any shows that I really MUST watch, I'll go somewhere to watch them (i.e. Colts games) or I'll re-watch online the day after. Otherwise, I'm a big fan of movies.
  • SSarahh23
    SSarahh23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    this is part of the "problem" too.. Blaming a TV commercial for decisions we make??? wow. I'm sure 20 commercials of broccoli would make Timmy and Billy go to the farm instead of Burger King.

Yup. Unfortunately we live in a world where it's always someone else's fault.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    there doing nothing bad, they are like any company and out to make the green backs plus i dont let tv tell me what to do
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

But... but... the KING came through the TV and shoved a Whopper down my throat!

Oh wait, no, that was me.