Hamstring Pull/Strain

Options
Anything other than stretching and ice that this girl can do for a minor hamstring strain/pull?

Replies

• Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Yes, leave it alone. I pulled my quad slightly around thanksgiving, and it was all due to not warming up properly.

stretching often is the best thing you can do, that and don't work the muscle. Once you fully injure a muscle it is more susceptible to injury later on. Trust me, you don't want to risk that
  • ironman1431
    ironman1431 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Minor muscle strains usually heal on their own in about a week or less, especially if there is no bruising. If there is bruising your muscle strain is typically classified as mild to moderate and healing can take 1-3+weeks (on average, depending on severity) To improve healing, do light activity and stretches, ice the are within the acute stage/first 2-3days or so, followed by heat on the area of sore muscle. I would not recommend doing any activity/exercise that causes the pain to go past a 6 on 10 in severity (1=feeling awesome, 10=worst pain ever) while you are healing. In otherwords, a little pain is o.k., while you heal, but don't expect to be doing what you did before you were injured. Avoid plyometrics, box jumps squatting and also sprinting. Hamstrings are more prone to taking a while to heal because they are a powerful 2 joint muscle, and if you don't let it heal properly, it can be a chronic thing. If you're still worried about, contact a health care professional.
    I would also suggest intramuscular stimulation/dry needling also works really well for chronic hamstring injuries (usually done by physios), or ART, done by chiros and physios.

If you're stretching it, stretch for 30s for each stress, stretch into tension, not pain, repeat throughout the day.
  • KariQuiteContrary
    KariQuiteContrary Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!