Such thing as "to many vitamins"?

Options
Well obviously My Fitness Pal has vitamins such as, vitamin A, vitamin B, calcium, 100%.a day, well is it bad to go over ur daily intake of vitamins?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely...Please don't go over the prescribed dose unless you have cleared it with a doctor.....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing as vitamin toxicity. This most often occurs when people become ill and they dose up on multi vitamins, etc...but it can also happen to someone who takes a multi vitamin in conjunction with a diet already rich in vitamins and minerals. I stopped taking mine since I've been eating so much more nutrient dense foods. I get plenty just with my diet.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    A reputable multivitamin, calcium & Omega 3. Maybe a C. But no more than one each day. You should be fine.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    yes...actually. but it's pretttty hard to do. unless you are binging on multi-Vs. just like you can die from drinking too much water at one time. goes to show, too much of anything will kill you!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Hard to do if your eating just whole foods, unless of course your consuming copious amounts of raw liver. :happy:
  • yes...actually. but it's pretttty hard to do. unless you are binging on multi-Vs. just like you can die from drinking too much water at one time. goes to show, too much of anything will kill you!

Well my bro hella into fitness, he told me to much of anything is bad for u.
  • brenda4life
    brenda4life Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Depends of if it is water soluble or fat soluble. Water soluble vitamins simply flush away. Fat soluble vitamins store in fat cells. You really have to consume a lot to get there if you are talking whole foods.
  • Thanx guys.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If I recall, A D E & K are fat soluble, so you _CAN_ eat too much of them, eventually. Bs and C you don't need to overdo it with megagrams and megagrams of them, but if you overdo it a bit, you'll just pee them out, since they're the water soluble ones.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    The ones that people commonly over take are calcium and Vit C. Never take more than what you should be getting in your diet on a normal day. The one that makes me cringe is when people load up on Vit C when they are coming down with a cold. It won't do anything to lessen the cold and it could do the double duty of giving you Vit C toxicity, thus making you even sicker on top of the cold you already have.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It would be hard to do if you are not psychotically ingesting multiple times the usual dose of supplements. It can happen, but it takes quite a bit. In many cases, the RDA is lower than what many people actually need. Most people are deficient in D, for example, and it would take quite a bit of purposeful overdosing to actually see the effects of toxicity. The one case I read about had someone taking 40,000 IUs per day for a period of time, and the RDA is 400IU, whereas what many nutritionists are finding is that we actually need closer to 1,000 or even 5,000 in some cases.

RDA in general tends to be quite low, so if you're only going over by a little bit, your body will most likely absorb what it needs and flush out the rest. But habitually taking in multiple times the recommended dose could be rather harsh on your kidneys, depending on what form you are taking it in. Vitamins we break down from food will be much easier to "put to work" than the lab-synthesized ones, which aren't even all that useful to us in the first place, and usually wind up being flushed out anyhow.