239 carbs per day?!

Options
Is it just me or does that seem like A LOT? I can eat 239 on a day where I don't work out. My daily goal is 1740 calories. Do you guys eat all of the carbs?

Replies

• spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    NO!
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    that is perfectly fine
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Eating 239 calories a day is slow suicide. You need to eat at least 1000 more calories a day, that is if you are doing nothing else. If you are exercising, you NEED to eat a lot more.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, I read calories for carbs....
  • jc2103
    jc2103 Posts: 11
    Options
    Is it just me or does that seem like A LOT? I can eat 239 on a day where I don't work out. My daily goal is 1740 calories. Do you guys eat all of the carbs?
    There's 4 calories in a gram of carbs. 4 in protein, 7 in alcohol, 9 in fat.

If you're aiming for 1740 calories, you're going to have to get them somewhere, and those are your four choices.
  • iggylove123
    Options
    I was just giving how many calories I'm allowed to eat (1740) but mfp says 239 carbs. Too much? So far today I've only had 133 carbs and I "should"eat 357 because I burned 826calories working out!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    MFP's default macro settings are pretty carb heavy. I manually changed them to track better and be able to manage my macros better. I do a 40c/30p/30hf...when I first started brining them down I did a 50/25/25 and then was able to bring it pretty much in line with 40/30/30 after a couple of weeks.

That said, it really depends on your goals. I needed to cut carbs to better control my blood sugar levels and I'm no longer getting the spikes I used to and my triglycerides are coming in line too. Bonus is that all of the extra protein is really helping me with my training (and also keeps me feeling more full) and most of my fats are of the heart healthy variety as I have to watch my sat fats for medical reasons as well.
  • iggylove123
    Options
    My blood pressure, blood sugar levels, etc are all fine! I just want to drop weight to look leaner!
  • jc2103
    jc2103 Posts: 11
    Options
    Set your goals to 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat - do the numbers look more right that way? If so, give it a try.
  • iggylove123
    Options
    This might sound stupid but for 50/30/20 do I take the percent from my caloric goal...? Sorry!
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    No it doesnt effect your overall calories just redistributes the macros. If your reduce the percentage from carbs your fats and protein will increase. I have mine set to 50% protein, 25% fat and 25% carb since I am on a high protein eating plan.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Or if you meant how to do it...go to the setting section on the top of the page then 'goals' where you can see the calorie breakdown and macros set up then at the bottom of the page you can click on 'change goal' and make and changes you want.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    You can set your own macros by manually changing your goals. Try calculating your protein at .8 - 1 gram per pound of body weight (or lean body mass if you know your body fat percentage) and your fat at about .5 gram per pound of body weight (or lean body mass) and then let the rest come from carbs. That should put your macros in a good balance. You need that much fat and protein, in general, for good health. Then, you can go up or down on the protein and/or fat depending on you preferences and fitness goals.