Whey Protein Question

Options
I only have enough calories to do 1/2 scoop of my Cytosport Vanilla flavored weigh each morning after my workout. It's still 15 grams of protein at 1/2 serving. I haven't lost any weight in the 3 weeks I've been doing Jillian Michaels' 30DS with the protein afterward. I figured it was just muscle mass replacing the fat.

Here's my question:
Am I hindering my weight loss by not doing the full serving of protein? I'm not really a slave to the scale, but I can't tell a difference in the way I look AND my clothes fit pretty much the same. Help!

Replies

• hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I only have enough calories to do 1/2 scoop of my Cytosport Vanilla flavored weigh each morning after my workout. It's still 15 grams of protein at 1/2 serving. I haven't lost any weight in the 3 weeks I've been doing Jillian Michaels' 30DS with the protein afterward. I figured it was just muscle mass replacing the fat.

Here's my question:
    Am I hindering my weight loss by not doing the full serving of protein? I'm not really a slave to the scale, but I can't tell a difference in the way I look AND my clothes fit pretty much the same. Help!

Well lets address your post in order-

1.) it is not physically possible for your muscle mass to replace fat, turn from fat to muscle, etc. that's not how it works.
    2.) you are not "gaining muscle" while in a caloric deficit. Don't think "oh I'm not losin x amount of weight, I must be gaining muscle"
    3.) drinking a protein shake is not benefiting OR hindering your weight loss. This is simply a macronutrient in your diet.

Now that the misinformation is cleared up....

Eating in an overall caloric deficit results in weight loss. With your protein supplement, without it, with exercise, without it. I'm assuming you're tracking all your foods, drinks, condiments, etc.? This is the most important part to be successful in weight loss.

Secondly, I'm assuming you have been sedentary for a good period of time before the 30DS right? You are likely retaining water to help repair the muscles being torn during exercise.

Lastly, it's important you are getting enough protein ALL day. You should be hitting your goal of .8-1gram protein per pound of lean body mass. If you're not, add more into your diet. Supplement it with Whey if need be.

Give it time! It does pay off! :)
  • SheriKCourtney
    Options
    I have a similar question. I have worked out and lifted weights for the last 8 years and I have always been told to take in plenty of protein. Therefore, I have never been concerned about eating lots of protein. Yet now that I am tracking my nutrient information on this site, I noticed I go over my suggested amount of protein daily. I have always had a protein shake for lunch and I know that is probably what puts me over. I am always on the go so the shakes are perfect for my lunch and I don't want to give them up. Also, it keeps me satisfied for a longer period of time. I just wondered if this could hinder my weight loss efforts. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have a similar question. I have worked out and lifted weights for the last 8 years and I have always been told to take in plenty of protein. Therefore, I have never been concerned about eating lots of protein. Yet now that I am tracking my nutrient information on this site, I noticed I go over my suggested amount of protein daily. I have always had a protein shake for lunch and I know that is probably what puts me over. I am always on the go so the shakes are perfect for my lunch and I don't want to give them up. Also, it keeps me satisfied for a longer period of time. I just wondered if this could hinder my weight loss efforts. Anyone have any thoughts on this subject.

If your not going over your calorie goal but simply exceeding your protein goal your fine.
  • Johnni0923
    Johnni0923 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What is your overall protein intake for the day? Sometimes plataues come and stay around for weeks. Hang in there. Try to take measurements.

Protein is important to feel full and build. How many calories is this drink? Maybe switch brands to a lower carb count and go for more protein. I use one from Trader Joes.

Good luck.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

The RDA is 15% of your diet. That usually puts you at about HALF of the amount that's necessary to build and retain lean muscle mass. This is why MFP gives you the option to manually change your macros. I have mine set to 40% carbs, 30% protein (which ours ,e at exactly 1 gram protein per pound of lean body mass), and 30% fat.

In any case, protein is extremely important. You would have to consume absurd (and practically impossible) amounts for it to be HARMFUL to your body.

A calorie deficit is what allows weight loss, not protein, carbs, fat, or any other one nutrient.
  • SheriKCourtney
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input.