Phentermine

Options
13»

Replies

• mustangali
    Options
    I appreciate all the feedback. Today is day 2 with it, and honestly, I don't really notice any horrible side effects, granted most medications take a few days at least to really get going. My mouth has been a little dry, but other than that, I actually feel really good. I know how to exercise, I know how to eat right. My issue has been time, and the fact that food rules my world.

My hope for the phentermine is to help me think/obsess less with food, stop worrying so much about when my next meal will be, or what it will be, and allow me to eat only when I'm hungry. I've taken all the measures necessary to fill my kitchen with healthy meals and snacks, and have brought them to work as well. I haven't been exercising like I used to, so I'm also hoping that the phentermine will help me during the next couple months while I figure out a new schedule and get back into the swing of going to the gym.

One positive for me, is that I was advised to completely give up caffeine, as caffeine will only make me more jittery and anxious with the phentermine. I've been wanting to give up Diet Dr. Pepper for a long time now, and I am seeing this as an opportunity to do so. Day two without it and I don't miss it yet!

I'll be on the lookout for the other negative side effects mentioned, and if I begin to experience them, I'll reevaluate what I'm doing. I was advised by my doctor or all possible effects (as is standard practice and it surprises me to hear that isn't happening). He's great at keeping in contact with his patients to make sure they are doing well. I lost 40 lbs and got stuck and I've been stuck now for about a year. I'm hoping this is the kickstart I need to get back on track.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. I'm not a fan of meds (I'm a mental health counselor and rarely support the idea of meds) so this is really going out on a limb for me.

I wish you all the best of luck in your efforts!
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is a CNS stimulant and one of the side effects is anorexia. This is why it works. It doesn't teach you anything about proper nutrition, it just kills your appetite. If you go back to your old eating habits when you stop taking it, the weight comes right back.

Yes it kills your appetite, but I wouldn't go so far as to say "anorexia" is a side effect. That seems a bit extreme to me.

Anorexia is defined as "Loss of appetite or inability to eat". So yes, although it's intended and not a side effect, I don't think that using the word anorexia is untrue or extreme. Anorexia nervosa is what is commonly referred to in our society as "anorexia", but that is a restriction, and part of the diagnostic criteria for that in women is loss of menses. (when my gf was in treatment, even though in addition to the years of restrictive behavior, she had an extremely low body weight & BMI her ED was technically labeled as "ED-NOS" because she never lost her menses). And yes, what the drug does -- how it works -- is by decreasing appetite.

Side effects listed in micromedex include Common -- dry mouth, feeling nervous, irritability and insomnia.. Serious side effects include cardiomyopathy, heart valve disorder, heat stroke, cerebral hemorrhage (um yeah, brain), cerebral ischemia, psychotic disorder, and primary pulmonary hypertension.

I took it for a while -- I had a racing heart (never went away), was always on high alert & nervous, and insomnia. I lost a lot of weight, and fast. But I gained double the amount I had lost, back pretty much right away.