What happens with too much protein?

I have been on MFP for a couple weeks tracking my food and have noticed that I'm almost always over on my protein suggestion.
When I do go over on the protein suggestion, it's usually by 17-22 grams(?)

I have also never really done strength training before until recently I have been doing the 30 day shred. I'm only 10 days into that though.

So, I was wondering if going over by that much is a good thing or a bad thing or something I should really keep my eye on? It's kind of hard to cut down the amount of protein I've already been trying to manage, but if necessary I could try harder. I know that protein is good when weightlifting but I don't know to what extent is too much.

Thanks!

Replies

• shlevon
    shlevon Posts: 30 Member
    Assuming you're eating an amount of calories appropriate for your goals (i.e. eating under maintenance in order to lose fat), the odds of you eating too much protein are very low. Eating a lot of protein is good, both in terms of satiety (protein fills you up more than either carbs or protein, as a rule) and in terms of making sure your weight loss is actually fat loss (and interacts with the weight training to help make this happen).

In short, don't worry about it. I'd personally set protein to probably ~30-40% of total intake, contrary to MFP's bizarrely low initial guidelines.
  • jtrain252
    jtrain252 Posts: 148 Member
    Well heres the thing
    There are 4 things i focus on when im trying to lose weight or build muscle.
    Calories, Fat, Protein, Carbs. Your body uses Carbs first for energy, and when they are depleted will move on to fats stored. Your goal is to eat fewer carbs and fats in essence giving you a leaner look. To do that you would need to ingest protein. Protein is used to help muscles grow and recover. Your body wont turn protein into energy and it wont turn to fat. Protein also stays in your stomach longer so it gives you a longer full feeling.... MY daily reccomended Protein intake when i let MFP dictate my graph ( i think stock its 15% protein 50% carbs 25% fats was only 90 grams of protein.) I currently have my variables set to 45% protien 35 % carbs and 20% fat. I intake anywhere from 190-225 grams of protein. The ONLY REAL DRAWBACK to having a super high protein diet is it will cause bloating, gas, and constipation. You must up your fiber intake and your water intake to compensate. and its best to up your protein gradually not from eating 50 grams to 300 grams you will be in for a stomache.

Bottom line dont worry about going over your protein worry about staying under your carbs and fats. :) **thumb up** good luck
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I have been on MFP for a couple weeks tracking my food and have noticed that I'm almost always over on my protein suggestion.
    When I do go over on the protein suggestion, it's usually by 17-22 grams(?)

I have also never really done strength training before until recently I have been doing the 30 day shred. I'm only 10 days into that though.

So, I was wondering if going over by that much is a good thing or a bad thing or something I should really keep my eye on? It's kind of hard to cut down the amount of protein I've already been trying to manage, but if necessary I could try harder. I know that protein is good when weightlifting but I don't know to what extent is too much.

Thanks!

Congrats, many are probably wondering how you do it. Then again, keep in mind the MFP suggestion is amount eating normal diet at maintenance, not at a deficit, so it's actually kind of low.

So you'll benefit from better muscle repairs due to exercise. You benefit from better muscle retention despite having a deficit. And your benefit from probably not feeling as hungry.
  • heybales
    Well heres the thing
    Calories, Fat, Protein, Carbs. Your body uses Carbs first for energy, and when they are depleted will move on to fats stored. Your goal is to eat fewer carbs and fats in essence giving you a leaner look. To do that you would need to ingest protein. Protein is used to help muscles grow and recover. Your body wont turn protein into energy and it wont turn to fat. Protein also stays in your stomach longer so it gives you a longer full feeling.... MY daily reccomended Protein intake when i let MFP dictate my graph ( i think stock its 15% protein 50% carbs 25% fats was only 90 grams of protein.) I currently have my variables set to 45% protien 35 % carbs and 20% fat. I intake anywhere from 190-225 grams of protein. The ONLY REAL DRAWBACK to having a super high protein diet is it will cause bloating, gas, and constipation. You must up your fiber intake and your water intake to compensate. and its best to up your protein gradually not from eating 50 grams to 300 grams you will be in for a stomache.

Bottom line dont worry about going over your protein worry about staying under your carbs and fats. :) **thumb up** good luck

Actually no on your premise.

As you sat their typing that, your body was using above 90% fat as the energy source.

Unless you just ate not long ago, and then the carbs and fat in the meal are used.

When you got to bed - almost total fat usage.

You start sprinting all out - total carb usage.

Perhaps you are confusing the fact your brain runs on carbs, but doesn't switch to fat.
  • jtrain252
    jtrain252 Posts: 148 Member
    Well heres the thing

As you sat their typing that, your body was using above 90% fat as the energy source.

Unless you just ate not long ago, and then the carbs and fat in the meal are used.

Perhaps you are confusing the fact your brain runs on carbs, but doesn't switch to fat.

The body burns these macronutrients in this order: First carbs, then fats, then protein. That means if you eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, your body will use the carbohydrates in the cereal to provide all the energy you need, burning no body fat. If you have a protein shake or eat an omelette, your body will go to your fat reserves and use stored energy to provide the energy your body needs to function. Most people eat more carbs and fats than protein, therefore, their bodies never get around to losing fat while maintaining muscle mass. If you reverse that, by eating protein and very little fat and only slow-burning carbs, you will get the desired result. Carbs are the easiest and first sourcefor the body to take. then fat stored regardless of the activity your body will always use the carbs you have as fuel first.
  • heybales
    Well heres the thing

The body burns these macronutrients in this order: First carbs, then fats, then protein. That means if you eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, your body will use the carbohydrates in the cereal to provide all the energy you need, burning no body fat. If you have a protein shake or eat an omelette, your body will go to your fat reserves and use stored energy to provide the energy your body needs to function. Most people eat more carbs and fats than protein, therefore, their bodies never get around to losing fat while maintaining muscle mass. If you reverse that, by eating protein and very little fat and only slow-burning carbs, you will get the desired result. Carbs are the easiest and first sourcefor the body to take. then fat stored regardless of the activity your body will always use the carbs you have as fuel first.

Oh, I know what you are claiming, and you are flat out wrong with the idea that it is always carbs first.

We agree that after you eat a meal it's carbs first, and perhaps you think that same process applies all the time when it doesn't.

Are you also aware that eating protein also sends your insulin up, again resulting in glucose storage, protein utilization, and fat storage mode - which I'm pretty sure is the premise you are probably thinking is behind it.

You might want to read up on that.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

If you want to give the body a chance to burn fat as main fuel source, get away from the myth you should be eating 6-8 meals a day, let your insulin settle back down, and burn some fat.

Actually, even when you exercise, maximum fat utilization comes about 68% of VO2max, even if you did just eat and bunch of carbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Protein is used to help muscles grow and recover. Your body wont turn protein into energy and it wont turn to fat.
    Actually protein can be turned into energy (gluconeogensis) and over consumption of protein (in caloric value) can result in fat storage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Well heres the thing

Oh, I know what you are claiming, and you are flat out wrong with the idea that it is always carbs first.

We agree that after you eat a meal it's carbs first, and perhaps you think that same process applies all the time when it doesn't.

Are you also aware that eating protein also sends your insulin up, again resulting in glucose storage, protein utilization, and fat storage mode - which I'm pretty sure is the premise you are probably thinking is behind it.

If you want to give the body a chance to burn fat as main fuel source, get away from the myth you should be eating 6-8 meals a day, let your insulin settle back down, and burn some fat.

Actually, even when you exercise, maximum fat utilization comes about 68% of VO2max, even if you did just eat and bunch of carbs.
    Heartily agree here with heybales.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    you have to eat ridiculously high amounts of protein before it damages your body. more than 283-356g/day (I assume that the lower end of the range applies to smaller people and the higher end to bigger people) according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

the default values on MFP are very low in protein, I've used the custom goals settings to adjust them up. Bodybuilders usually recommend 1g of protein per lb lean body mass a day (or even per lb bodyweight a day) - others say that you don't need quite so much as that, but in any case I wouldn't worry at all about being 20g or so over, in fact it's probably better as like i said I think the MFP default setting for protein is a bit low.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Ok, I read most of the article that was posted. Basically it sounds to me like scientists and nutritionalists duking it out, but whatever. The fact for me is this, I try to do high protein, moderate fat, and low carb. The carbs I eat, I mostly try to do the more complex carbs. I don't go as far as the Atkins diet, but it is somewhat similar. I usually do go over on my protein and fats with MFP, but stay below my overall calories. I don't go over by very much, but I do go over some, and I'm usually under with my carbs. I feel better this way. Most carbs typically come from processed, sugary, starchy foods. Do I cut out white potatoes...no. Do I eat fried potatoes, not very often at all. I have also lost 60 lb's in about a year. I believe in the higher protein, because I also do weight training. I'm not trying to be buff or anything, but I certainly do like to look toned, and I love a little extra muscle. Your body will breakdown protein from your muscles, if it's forced to do so, if it's not getting energy from another source. Just like it will steal calcium from your bones if you don't get enough calcium in your diet. I am also a registered nurse, and I am educated in anatomy and physiolgy, and have been taught that the body does, in fact burn carbs first, fat second. So if you're eating a lot of carbs, the body may never get around to burning that fat, or not as much as it could have. Also, constant spikes in insulin, caused by eating sugary foods, can eventually lead to diabetes, by overworking your pancreas, which secretes the insulin. It's like anything else in this world, if you overwork something, eventually, it's not going to work as effectively, over time. Also, I've noticed, in my opinion, that the more carbohydrates I consume, the more I want, (if it's from the wrong type of carb). For instance, before I lost weight, I would eat the wrong foods, like cookies, or whatever, but after I quit eating them so much, I really stopped craving them. Bottom line is, it's your call, your body, and I think a higher protein diet is great. Not that you should go nuts with it though, lol.
  • NRSPAM
    Also, for building muscle, I believe the recommended amount is 60-80grams/day. You shouldn't consume more than 30g/meal, because 30 is the most your body can break down, at a time. It is true that excessive amounts of protein can damage your kidneys, though, but like I said, you can consume up to 80grams/day.
  • heybales
    Also, for building muscle, I believe the recommended amount is 60-80grams/day. You shouldn't consume more than 30g/meal, because 30 is the most your body can break down, at a time. It is true that excessive amounts of protein can damage your kidneys, though, but like I said, you can consume up to 80grams/day.

Recommended amount is based on LBM if known, goal weight if not. So it would vary, and usually 2 g / kg / day.

As to that mythical 30 figure thrown out, nothing to it. Read the research review by respected Alan Aragon

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I would also like to know how much protein I should eat.. i do workout often 4-6 times a week and usually pretty intense workouts. I'm 5 ft 9 and 209. I figured out how to change the macros and I think I'm at 55/30/15 (carbs/protein/fat) I always go over on the fat and only miss the protein when it ups to accommodate for my workout. .. I know my calories are too low.. Work in progress there.. I sit at a desk all day.. but I go out and do stuff all weekend.

the macros i changed it to means I'm supposed to eat 90g of protein everyday.. I'm full when I hit it. I always go over on fat, since I eat peanut butter everyday and that's half of it right there. (my lunch today was an anomaly lol) Since it's down to 20g. Maybe I should lower the carbs a little.. When I pay attention to my food I don't hit them anyway.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    First off, I'm not an expert in this field. But I would like to say I've been sticking to a 50/30/20 macro split for around 5 months and have had nothing but success. I have no idea which one is burnt first, but the added protein in my diet has helped me control my gross over consumption of carbs that has plagued me for most of my adult life. Jtrain, you are doing an amazing job my friend. Stick to what is working for you.
  • NRSPAM

Recommended amount is based on LBM if known, goal weight if not. So it would vary, and usually 2 g / kg / day.

As to that mythical 30 figure thrown out, nothing to it. Read the research review by respected Alan Aragon

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

I think this article clears things up a bit. Basically it states that everyone is different. A body builder may be able to absorb more than 30g/meal, however, on average, most of us can only digest about 30g. It also states that it depends on the type of protein, and that some proteins take longer than others to digest. Not a mythical figure, though.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/480054-how-much-protein-can-we-absorb-per-meal/
  • shlevon
    shlevon Posts: 30 Member

I think this article clears things up a bit. Basically it states that everyone is different. A body builder may be able to absorb more than 30g/meal, however, on average, most of us can only digest about 30g. It also states that it depends on the type of protein, and that some proteins take longer than others to digest. Not a mythical figure, though.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/480054-how-much-protein-can-we-absorb-per-meal/

You're citing an opinion piece on livestrong that alludes to some guru's opinion and is largely devoid of any actual research. Alan's article is based on the preponderance of current research on the subject, and is properly cited. This is a not so subtle difference.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

This is wrong.

The amount of protein you need will depend on your size, whether you are in a caloric deficit or surplus, the extent of your caloric deficit if you are in one and your training routine,

The 30g of protein is a myth

Unless you have a pre existing kidney condition and stay properly hydrated, there is no evidence to suggest that excess protein will cause kidney problems. Please provide studies that indicate otherwise.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Well heres the thing

Heartily agree here with heybales.

IDEA Fitness member

Yep
  • Sarauk2sf
    I would also like to know how much protein I should eat.. i do workout often 4-6 times a week and usually pretty intense workouts. I'm 5 ft 9 and 209. I figured out how to change the macros and I think I'm at 55/30/15 (carbs/protein/fat) I always go over on the fat and only miss the protein when it ups to accommodate for my workout. .. I know my calories are too low.. Work in progress there.. I sit at a desk all day.. but I go out and do stuff all weekend.

the macros i changed it to means I'm supposed to eat 90g of protein everyday.. I'm full when I hit it. I always go over on fat, since I eat peanut butter everyday and that's half of it right there. (my lunch today was an anomaly lol) Since it's down to 20g. Maybe I should lower the carbs a little.. When I pay attention to my food I don't hit them anyway.
    You are fine going over your fats.
  • Sarauk2sf

Livestrong is a terrible site for basing anything on - always check the sources. Point in case - they pick a paragraph totally out of context from Venuto's article.

However, what they fail to pick up on, in the same article, is this:

"There has been a lot of research done on protein needs, although not much of it has focused specifically on the maximum amount digestible per meal. There have been studies where a large bolus of protein was eaten at one time rather than in small, frequent meals, and yet positive nitrogen balance was achieved. This would suggest that the 30 grams per meal limit does not exist and that 60 grams over three meals would allow your body to utilize the majority of that 180 grams.

30-40 grams per meal may be a pretty good rule of thumb for bodybuilding diets with an eating frequency of 5-6 small meals per day (slightly less for females). However, I have never found any research which says that the body has a "30 grams at a time" absolute limit and it doesn't seem likely that one fixed amount could apply to every person in every situation, with no accounting for body weight and activity level....

...Bottom line: Even large protein servings can be digested and absorbed, and it appears there is no 30 gram absolute limit. On the other hand, huge servings of protein at one time are not necessary for muscle growth. Beyond what is needed for growth, repair and energy, an excess of protein can get "wasted" if you are referring to being stored as fat or burned for energy."