Does it matter when you eat during the day?

I've been fine staying under my calorie limit, but realize that probably close to half of my total calories come from my evening meal. Breakfast and lunch tend to be around 300 each, so I'm not skipping them. Does it matter when I eat as long as I am under?

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    I believe it does matter.

Like not eating high sugar/carb anytime before bed (eating heavy protein has shown to increase the amount of REM sleep when I tracked it with ZEO).

I tend to follow the nutrient consumption as described by VEGA - especially on workout days. That has helped me recover faster from workouts.

Your question will not get a definitive answer here though... Trial and error
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    It matters for your own satiation, energy levels, and ability to sleep.

It does not matter for weight loss at all, except if it interferes with one of the above. Whatever is most comfortable for you works best. I also keep a big percentage of my calories for the evening. Works great for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Not if calorie count is your concern. Some people react differently when eating then going right to bed than others do (I can eat right before bed with no issues).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lives21
    lives21 Posts: 78 Member
    Eating lots of calories and then sleeping on them doesn't give them a chance to burn off, so they get stored instead. It's better to eat lighter at night and more during the day. Try a snack in the afternoon so you'll eat a less heavy dinner. That's what I've been doing and it's seemed to work, but I'm also keeping an eye on my calories too. Dinner used to be my biggest problem, and even though it's still my biggest meal of the day, it's only about a third of my daily calories now.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    I think it matters if your sleep is affected by what you eat. For me, I tend to pack in the calories late in the day, and as long as I don't eat a ton of sugary stuff in the evening (which I've found keeps me awake), I'm fine. If I try to go too light on the calories in the latter part of the day, I tend to wake up in the night, hungry. NOT FUN!

Sleep is proving to be more important to weight management than was ever suspected before, so strategizing for a good night's sleep is imperative.

As for those claims that you can eat all you want as long as it's before 7:00 pm (or whatever random time)? -- I think that's nonsense. Really, as the above poster suggested, you need to go with trial and error and what works for YOUR body.

:smile:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    no
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No It doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done No it doesn't matter the research has been done
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Eating lots of calories and then sleeping on them doesn't give them a chance to burn off, so they get stored instead. It's better to eat lighter at night and more during the day. Try a snack in the afternoon so you'll eat a less heavy dinner. That's what I've been doing and it's seemed to work, but I'm also keeping an eye on my calories too. Dinner used to be my biggest problem, and even though it's still my biggest meal of the day, it's only about a third of my daily calories now.

It's super that you've found a method that's working for you, but that burning off at night stuff is an old wive's tale. For that to be true, we would have to digest and use our calories immediately. That's not how metabolism works. It's about long term deficit. If you have the calories left and it doesn't bother your sleep, you can have ice cream before bed every night if you want to.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    no

^^ this
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    I generally eat 900-1000 calories between 5 and 10 at night. I have lost about 18 pounds (well I lost 21, then my 3 weeks of christmas set me back a few pounds but I am back on track now, haha) It doesn't make a difference for weight loss, though if I am weighing myself the next morning I try to eat a little earlier so that food still isn't sitting in my tummy in the morning (or so it seems, haha)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    Eating lots of calories and then sleeping on them doesn't give them a chance to burn off, so they get stored instead.
    Not if you're within calorie deficit/maintenance limits. This is an old myth that won't die. You burn more fat at rest than any other time of the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • opal24
    opal24 Posts: 205 Member
    Oh, and I've lost my 29 kg eating a fair proportion of my calories in the evening, usually after 7.30 pm. So - no, with the proviso that others have given, that it doesn't affect your ability to sleep comfortably.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Nope
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    It doesn't matter, but If i don't spread the love throughout the day i eat too much at night.:explode:
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    I've read it doesn't matter but I try to equal out my meals and have a small snack about an hr before bed. Otherwise I wake up starving. I currently have 5 meals 2 of which are mini between or bedtime snacks. What you eat and burn off doesn't care what time it is. But eating heavy before bed could give you heartburn and maybe affect your sleep depending on what it is. Just make sure you are not eating to much calories/fat and not starving yourself all day. Your body needs fuel all day.
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    I've actually changed my dinner time to around 7-730 and I'm still loosing weight.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    If that way works best for you from an adherence, lifestyle and adherence perspective, no issues at all.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    It's never mattered to me. I've always eaten the majority of my calories at night and I've never been overweight. Everybody's different, though, so do what works for you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

It's super that you've found a method that's working for you, but that burning off at night stuff is an old wive's tale. For that to be true, we would have to digest and use our calories immediately. That's not how metabolism works. It's about long term deficit. If you have the calories left and it doesn't bother your sleep, you can have ice cream before bed every night if you want to.

Yes you can!