HRM and volleyball question

Options
I'm getting ready to play in a semi-competitive volleyball league in the upcoming weeks and I would like to wear my HRM while playing, but it's a chest strap with a watch. I cannot play volleyball with a watch on my arm. The monitor I have is a cheap one, but it's functional and it's what I could afford. Buying a new one is out of the question. And I don't wear pants with pockets when I play and even if I did, the watch is pretty large so it would be really uncomfortable. Does anyone have ideas for what I can do?

Replies

• ThomasR099
    ThomasR099 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i've yeard of people playing with the chest strap without much trouble, even when "on the floor".
    The watch is another matter, you could try wearing it on your ankle if the strap is large enough (or adapt it to make it fit)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes. I suggest you you leave both the strap and the watch at home and enjoy your volleyball games. Your league sounds like fun. Have a great time without worrying about logging calories burned
  • atichnell
    Options
    I've playin this league for almost 5 years now and it is a lot of fun. I love exercise that isn't just running or working out on a machine. I do a lot better when it's something outside the gym. I have noticed that in the 6 months I've had my HRM I'm more inspired to try to work out. I'm still figuring out my exercises, the ones that benefit me the most and that's why I want to wear it if I can. If I can't make it work, I'm going to have fun either way. I just get a great sense of accomplishment when I check the watch after a good workout and see how many calories I burned.

I hadn't thought of trying to wear it around my ankle... that might be an option. I'll have to try it out and see if it's comfortable enough. :)
  • vb4evr
    vb4evr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I think you may have some trouble with that watch, and I know it is different, but I have a Zephyr Bluetooth Chest Strap which works with my phone. So it has a phenomenal range. (ie I was playing last night and left it on the stage on one side of the gym and it picked up my HR from the other side even from 6back). I play at a very competitive level (ex college players) and have had no problem with the Chest Strap at all with dives, rolls, blocks or otherwise.
    While DavPul is correct its more about the fun of it, but I understand where you are coming from. I am coming back after 4 years and after knee surgery. It is fantastic to see my progress.