Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels

Options
Hi I'm David and have enjoyed reading others success stories. Not sure where I first read the quote " Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" but it is my rallying thought anytime my stomach craves things that I shouldn't eat. This is my first time "ACTIVELY" trying to lose weight and while I'm mindful of everything I put into my mouth now, it's still a struggle not to succumb to past bad eating habits.

In high school, wore 32 waist 34 length jeans. College until mid 30s stayed in healthy happy form wearing 34 waist 34 length jeans for 15 years. I worked with my hands for much of that time and very active lifestyle. As my life and career progressed, it became increasingly sedentary as moved up from working on the line, to manager to CEO. Increased stress, decreased activities and poor eating habits set in.

Over the past few years I've known I needed to change my lifestyle/eating habits/fitness levels. Even joined a Gym that I visited 3 times in first 3 years being a member. :ohwell: In October 2012 during a routine visit, stepped on the scales at Doctors office and weighed in at 279! 15lbs over year before. I knew it was time to effect a change and Oct 4 determined NOT to ever see 280, I went to work.

With very little past willpower, and knowing I couldn't trust myself with "cheat days" I employed severe eating habit changes. Going from whatever and whenever to being very strict ( possibly even unhealthily so?)
Oct 4 2012 was the last day I had soft drinks, fast food, rolls, biscuits, fried chicken, candy bars or eating after 7pm. Yes, my body was in constant protest through the end of 2012. In addition to calorie intake, added riding bikes and racquetball in effort to increase fitness.

I've gone from 279 Oct 2012 to 241 Jan 2013 and well on way to dropping 85lbs. My pants size have dropped from 42 to 38 already and have shocked my body into submission. It is time to learn healthy ways to lose weight and increase fitness which is why I joined MyFitnessPal. The success stories and friendly support throughout the forums is terrific. I look forward to being an active member of the community, so please introduce yourself and let us do it together.

Replies

• epicshapeshift
    Options
    Hey David,

Sounds like you're doing a fantastic job so far and congratulations on your success! You recognized you needed to make a change, and now you're doing everything you can to make it happen! And in turn, you're seeing some great results.
    I also admire the strictness you laid on yourself in having no cheat days. I personally don't agree with having 'cheat days' and feel like the only thing being cheated would be myself.

Keep it up!
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Great work so far!!!! My husband is a CFO who works 12-14 hours a day in front of a computer or in meetings, so I can relate to your plight. Fortunately he only is about 15-20 pounds over what he should be.There just don't seem to be enough hours for him to go to the gym more than 1-2 times a week. I have loved the support on MFP and I feel it has helped me to lose weight and get moving!! Getting a handle on your fitness and weight now is great.....you really have more energy when you eat healthy and are fit. I wish you the best in reaching your goals and maintaining good health!
  • Anw1588
    Options
    keep up the awesome work you can do this
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Thank all of you for words of encouragement.

I've never yo-yo'd with my weight, just was a slow steady climb over the years as I ate/drank whatever/whenever. Id hate to think how high my calorie intake was most days.

Whenever tried to eat a "little" less or a "little" better, I was hungry ALL the time. So having very little will-power to eat a "little better" I just cut out most everything other than a breakfast bar or couple eggs for breakfast and small portioned lunch. 900-1100 calories a day, drinking nothing but water. Most days I net out 400-500 calories after exercise. Funny thing, Im a little hungry all the time, but do not get any overpowering urges to bing or snack as if I were eating more.

Are my actions unhealthy or unsustainable? Im 6'2 240 lbs down from 279 just a few months ago and losing just under 1/2 lb per day.