Plateau?

Options
Hey everyone! I have been working hard to lose weight this past two months and have successfully shed 10 pounds by the new year! Now, one month later, I have been working just as hard but haven't moved the scale. Talk about frustrating! I did hurt my back so was unable to exercise for two weeks or so- but I have been zealously staying under my caloric limit.

Is this normal? Do i chug through it and keep doing what I am doing or must I lower my calorie needs and up my exercise more? I am currently at the "fastest recommended weight loss caloric intake for my body" so I hesitate to go down further.

What are your thoughts? Anyone go through this before?

Replies

• Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at a plateau for several months now - I have about 10-15 lbs to lose.

(Let me correct that- I don't give a hoot about weight loss, I just want fat loss really.)

So two weeks ago I began changing up my macros. My TDEE is something like 1700 so I'd need to eat no more than 1400/day for something to happen. What I have done is went on a low carb, not Atkins or anything like that, but relatively low carb diet and keep my caloric intake the same.

In the first week there was massive water loss (which is expected when you go low carb) and now I can see the fat shrinking off my love handles and tummy. Of course I'm losing fat all over, but these areas I'm very conscious of! I will keep doing this until I reach my goal weight and then slowly start reintroducing carbs, but still keep things lower than I used to.

If you want to try it out, go to this site:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm

put in your daily caloric needs and then choose the option "low carb diet". It will show you your percentages and at the bottom, exactly how many grams of each macro a day. Then, you can adjust your macro goals for each day on MFP.

If you have any questions about it, just send me a message. Like I said, it has helped me shift the fat so far!
  • speedw1875
    speedw1875 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Your story is exactly like mine (less the back injury - that super sucks) Started on Thanksgiving, plateaued since January . Two days ago I felt like like I better change something or else I might be stuck in a rut for a while. This morning however. I woke up and I felt like I looked a bit better then before. I jumped on the scale and I was down two pounds, I had a good workout, and put my belt on one notch tighter without meaning to do so.

So my point is hang in there!

Unfortunately, I have done the weight loss thing before and this is how it goes. Fortunately my experiences have taught me a little more each time, and reading the posts from other people like us has helped my knowledge base a lot.

If you do decide after several weeks to make a change, make it small, make it healthy. Plateau's are your bodies way of making sure you are mentally committed before changing physically, at least that's what I tell myself.

Best of Luck, Believe in yourself!