Do you really need to drink whey/protein drinks?

Options
I have been trying to determine if I really need to add whey and protein drinks to my daily intake. I understand that it is released slower but, so far I have not had any protein supplements and my muscles have still been growing and I can tell i'm getting stronger. Is there anyone else that only eats right and does not take anything extra?

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you're getting 1 g of protein for each lb of LBM from your diet or not. If you are great you don't need to. If you arent you probably should. It doesnt mean you wont see results they just may not be optimal. You could always up your protein in your regular diet too.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are getting enough protein from eating chicken, eggs, steak, etc...then no you do not need to. I have protein powder, but I just use it when I need to get some extra protein in on a given day. A lot of people say that you are better off eating your protein than drinking it....

Are you getting about 1 to 1.25 lb of protein per body weight without protein powder? If the answer is yes, then you do not need protein powder. even if the answer is no, you just might want to eat more protein rich foods...
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    if you are getting enough protein from eating chicken, eggs, steak, etc...then no you do not need to. I have protein powder, but I just use it when I need to get some extra protein in on a given day. A lot of people say that you are better off eating your protein than drinking it....

Are you getting about 1 to 1.25 lb of protein per body weight without protein powder? If the answer is yes, then you do not need protein powder. even if the answer is no, you just might want to eat more protein rich foods...

I believe I am getting enough protein on most days, could you take a peep at my diary for the past couple of days and tell me what you think?
  • Absonthebrain
    Options
    It depends on if you're getting 1 g of protein for each lb of LBM from your diet or not. If you are great you don't need to. If you arent you probably should. It doesnt mean you wont see results they just may not be optimal. You could always up your protein in your regular diet too.

I have read that if you have too much protiem that's not a good thing either...is that true as far as you know?
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Too much protein being bad for you only applies to those with kidney or liver problems. There's no applicable evidence to say it's bad for healthy people.

that being said, whey digests super, super fast. as fast as processed sugar. If you want something slow digesting, I advise caesin protein.

no, as long as you are meeting your protein requirement daily, there is absolutely no point in taking any kind of protein supplement. they are merely a tool of convenience, if you find it hard to meet your protein needs.
  • Absonthebrain
    Options
    Too much protein being bad for you only applies to those with kidney or liver problems. There's no applicable evidence to say it's bad for healthy people.

that being said, whey digests super, super fast. as fast as processed sugar. If you want something slow digesting, I advise caesin protein.

no, as long as you are meeting your protein requirement daily, there is absolutely no point in taking any kind of protein supplement. they are merely a tool of convenience, if you find it hard to meet your protein needs.

Thanks! I think I will up my protien intake because I really love almost all protien rich foods and eventually I may add in casein at night since it is slower released. I may try whey in the future also, I have seen so many fun recipes that include it.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I believe I am getting enough protein on most days, could you take a peep at my diary for the past couple of days and tell me what you think?

unless you weigh between 60 and 80 pounds you are not getting enough protein. :)

if you 120 pounds then you should, at least, get 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. So in the 120 pound example you should get about 120 grams per day of protein...

I weigh about 174 and shoot for 200 to 210 grams of protein per day..

hope this helps..
  • Absonthebrain
    Options

unless you weigh between 60 and 80 pounds you are not getting enough protein. :)

if you 120 pounds then you should, at least, get 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. So in the 120 pound example you should get about 120 grams per day of protein...

hope this helps..

Yes this really does help, I understand it the way you put it. So im 130lbs and I should be getting 130 grams of protein per day. Got it! :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

hope this helps..

Yes this really does help, I understand it the way you put it. So im 130lbs and I should be getting 130 grams of protein per day. Got it! :)

yes...chicken, eggs, steak, greek yogurt, cottage cheese are best sources...good luck..!