Tips for adding protein to breakfast.

Options

Replies

• mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to add a protein serving to my breakfast. My usual breakfast is cereal - either oatmeal, or multigrain hot cereal, or shredded wheat along with fruit and milk. The easiest way to add protein has been to add a quarter cup of nuts (usually almonds or walnuts) but they are so high in calories. I'm not really awake enough in the morning to want to cook something like an egg, and it doesn't really appeal. I eat lots of eggs, but not for breakfast. Anyone have any suggestions?

Try to make protein balls- paunut butter ones- there is many reciopes on pinterest.

I also make oatmeal miffins- healthy ones and freeze them and have them with fruit. Just look for recipes that have high protein. check out pinterest!
  • kendaQ
    kendaQ Posts: 14
    Options
    I just eat boiled eggs and peanuts...
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Protein Powder gives you about 26g of Protein and if you mix it with unsweetend Almond milk it's only about 170cals and it's really tasty and filling.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what type of greek yoghurt everyone else is using, but my full fat shop brand version is not HIGH in protein. Or is this just me?! I do not class yoghurt as added protein, it is an addition to most other things, carbs and fat, oh it adds some protein, but I would have to eat a whole 500g container just to get 21g of protein.

Chobani - Greek Yogurt Plain Non-Fat 6 oz has 18g of protein.
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    Eggwhites! scramble em, or poach em. I had some myself this morning. Taste great with a blob of salsa on them.

Protein pancakes - or protein nibbles home made, have a look at the recipes I posed in the recipe forum. Really easy to do.

Protein shake - nuff said.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Possibly being thick here, but as long as you have enough protein the rest of the day why do you specifically want to add it to breakfast? I generally have cereal or porridge for breakfast, and have the protein the rest of th day.

Or if you don't want to cook in the morning how about a continental breakfast of cheese, ham etc. with a roll (not a croissant - they're just fat on a plate!!)
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    thx
  • saj06003
    saj06003 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean Original cereal has 13g protein 10g fiber. All of the other suggestions are great too, but if you like to eat cereal here is a list of high protein cereals: http://www.fitsugar.com/Cereals-High-Fiber-Protein-21137567
  • miniosiris
    Options
    I was having this issue with protein when eating cereal for breakfast. I am also vegetarian. I now batch cook a weeks worth of Quorn sausages and store them in the fridge. It takes 1 minute to warm a precooked sausage up in the microwave and another 45 seconds to scramble an egg also in the microwave in a morning. This with a small amount of low salt and sugar brown sauce gives me a 164 calorie breakfast with 8g carbs, 9g fat and 13g protein in under 2 minutes.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TamiSH2
    TamiSH2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    1 cup greek yogurt
    1 serving cooked oatmeal
    1 scoop any flavor protein powder
    1- 2 cups berries
    3 handfuls spinach
    1/2 cup water
    blend in a blender 300 - 400 calories depending on the protein powder used and amount of berries. you've got every food group in it and about 52 g of protein again depending on the protein powder you use.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyonne. Some really great Ideas here. I'm adding protein to breakfast specifically to regulate my blood sugar through the morning, since I'm a type 2 diabetic. I was previously diabetic during pregnancy, and I loaded on the nuts and seeds because I needed the extra calories to grow a person:wink: How much protein is there in almond, or soy milk? Maybe switching to that might help. Also recommendations for protein powders?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Fat free cottage cheese has 30 grams of protein per cup at 160 calories. Mix in 1Tbsp sliced almonds and 1Tbsp smucker's sugar free preserves, and it's more a treat than breakfast.

Fage yogurt has 23 grams per cup. Mix in 1 scoop of protein powder, Vanilla is my choice, and it's 35 grams of protein that tastes like cake frosting. And it's 230-280 calories total.

I don't eat oatmeal anymore unless it has protein powder in it. Usually chocolate. Makes me feel like I'm eating a mushy, delicious cookie. But it's generally only 16 grams protein with 1 scoop powder and the higher protein oat. And close to 300 calories.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of scrambled eggs up on Sunday night to eat during the week. 3 white 1 whole egg a day. Just scramble up a week’s worth and reheat. Add some veggies and they taste great.
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters and turkey sausage!!!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Love my coffee in the am, throw in 1/2 a protein shake and I have a yummy latte. Premier Protein drinks, from Sam's 30 gr of protein per box, so I get 15 easy, quick, and relatively cheap and 80 calories. You could also use it on cereal.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I like a tablespoon of peanut butter stirred into my oatmeal. The combination of protein, fat, and whole grain really satisfies!
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Love my coffee in the am, throw in 1/2 a protein shake and I have a yummy latte. Premier Protein drinks, from Sam's 30 gr of protein per box, so I get 15 easy, quick, and relatively cheap and 80 calories. You could also use it on cereal.

Thanks, love the idea of protein coffee!
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    sorry... egg whites added WITH the oatmeal... as in, next to them. Sorry!