Beef Jerky

Options
Hi all,

Just discovered a delicious and low fat snack - beef jerky! Does anyone here eat it? I really like the Wild West Honey BBQ one.

One 25g serving has only 0.85g of fat (1.2% RDA), 10.3g of carbs (3.8% RDA) and only 78.5 kcal (3.9% RDA) - but a massive 7.5g of protein (15%)! Perfect for those on the Dukan.

I think the only downside to having this everyday as a snack is the levels of salt/sodium...

What do you guys think....?

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    use the search function to find more topics on this; it's been discussed before...mainly people saying that yes it's good on protein but way too high in sodium to be considered a core element of your diet. i don't really like the stuff personally, so i lucked out :-P
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I love a good beef jerky and turkey jerky. It is really high in sodium so I don't have it very often, but it's great as a high protein-low calorie treat. I sometimes eat some jerky and a piece of fruit to refuel after working out.

Trader Joe's has some great Turkey Jerky!
  • ShakeyMD
    ShakeyMD Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love beef jerky but only eat it every once in a while due to the sodium content. I just make sure I drink extra water on the days that I do have it. But definitely good for protein.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I eat it, but prefer to make my own with Venison Backstrap!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The jerky I get, Jack Links, is 80 kcals and 15g of protein. Only 3g of carbs. I really like it.

Jerky is a great snack!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I eat it, but prefer to make my own with Venison Backstrap!

mmmmmm - I love venison jerky!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    We make our own venison jerky. Delish, but yea, the sodium sucks.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Yes I do eat it. Makes a good afternoon snack. It is outrageously high in sodium, so I don't make it a daily habit. But then, all the processed crap I was eating before was also outrageously high in sodium and I certainly made it a daily habit!

It's like I always say. Everything in moderation. All things are permissible, not everything is beneficial...
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I LOVE jerkey, It's a great snack. I usually have to separate it into baggies or I'll eat the whole package. Sodium so it doesnt bother me or hinder my weight loss so it's perfect.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I love jerky! (I don't eat much these days as I eat very little meat)

If you are concerned about the sodium. It is easy to make jerky at home. And, a lot less expensive than buying it!

Just Google "Jerky Recipes". Tons of great sites and it can be done with just about any meat.
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love it but not worth the sodium versus the protein
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    We make our own jerky out of beef, pork, bison, elk, deer, chicken and turkey..............

I don't like the store bought stuff very much and 10.3 grams of carbs for meat is too high and I don't see how that fits in the Dukan plan of eating???? That stuff has to be loaded in sugar for the carbs to be that high. Outrageous.
  • MetSox129
    MetSox129 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i love jerky so friggin much, but its so dang expensive! high in sodium too, but nothing extra water intake wont be able to handle. i'm thinkin of getting a dehydrator and making my own low sodium jerky
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with sodium? For healthy individuals it's not a big deal especially if you're going to the gym and sweating it out.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    turkey jerky is really good to and even healthier lots of protein less cals and less sodium
  • healthy4heidi
    healthy4heidi Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I make my own jerky in the oven. It is delicious and not nearly as high sodium as the store bought kind. Here's my recipe.
    Serving size 1 oz, carbs <1g, fat 3g and protein 6g.

2 lbs bottom round roast
    1 teaspoons black pepper
    1 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (to make it spicy)
    1 teaspoons onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
    1/8 cup soy sauce (original recipe says you can use low sodium too)
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 cup Frank's red hot sauce

Directions:

1 Trim all fat off meat.
    2 Cut steak in to 4 inch strips.
    3 The steak should be about 1/2 inch thick.
    4 It's easier to cut meat partially frozen.
    5 Pound meat lightly, you don't want it too thin.
    6 Add all ingredients in a large bowl.
    7 Mix well.
    8 Cover and refrigerate overnight (8 hrs).
    9 Line large jelly pans with tin foil, put wire cooling racks on top. I used 4 cooling racks and two jelly pans to fit all the meat.
    10 Place steak strips on rack, don't overlap meat. Try not to let them touch as well.
    11 Set oven at temperature 170°F (or for me with two trays I set it at 180°F)
    12 Bake six hours, turning after three hours.
    13 Jerky is done when meat is dried out, depending on your oven.

Modified from Food.com
  • paulathoren1
    paulathoren1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many calories there are in one ounce?
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've just recently started making my own. Did it in the oven first, now I have a dehydrator. This way I have jerky the way I like it -- very little salt and no strong flavors. I eat it nearly every day now.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. All things are permissible, not everything is beneficial...

Love it!
  • cherberube
    cherberube Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of getting a dehydrator as I like homemade beef jerky too. What brand of dehydrator do you use?