pounds per week question

Options
kayla_larsen
kayla_larsen Posts: 40 Member
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I was looking at my goals page and I had chosen to do the aggressive weight loss (2 pounds per week), but on the next page where it gives my summary, it says I will only be losing 1.3 pounds per week....how come it won't let me lose the 2 pounds a week? Do you have to be a certain weight in order to do that?

Replies

• kayla_larsen
    Options
    I was looking at my goals page and I had chosen to do the aggressive weight loss (2 pounds per week), but on the next page where it gives my summary, it says I will only be losing 1.3 pounds per week....how come it won't let me lose the 2 pounds a week? Do you have to be a certain weight in order to do that?
  • tessa681
    tessa681 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this site and was wondering the same thing.
  • sanlin20
    sanlin20 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The program sets a minimum limit for the daily caloric intake around 1200 cals/day. So, what I think is happening for you is that your 2 lb/week goal is conflicting with that limit. So, the program is suggesting a different goal. Anyways, I think you can still override the program's suggestions in Home>Goals>change goals page.
  • tessa681
    tessa681 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • brife17
    Options
    I aslo chose to do the 2 lbs per week. I just went back and looked at my goals page, and went to the next page where it said if you keep going at this rate you will lose 2 lbs per week and 10 lbs by october 29th (just started yesterday) so i am thinking that the reason yours has changed a little is because the goals they have set or you have set for your self in the calories per day and such...are not matching with how much you are actually consuming. So take a look at the goal for calorie and carbs and change it if need be. Remember that you can gain calorie points if you exercise and burn calories. This weight loss system is based off of Calorie,carbs and excersice. so mainly stay low on calorie and carbs and high in exercise.
    best of luck to you all.
    Bailey
  • stupidrobot
    stupidrobot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen (I put 2lbs per week as my goal and the next page said 0.8 lbs per week) and I agree that it's because the site sets a minimum of 1,200 calories per day. I changed my calories per day goal to 900, which put me at 1.3 lbs per week. Last time I did a 900 calorie diet I lost more like five pounds in a week (I upped my calories to 1200 after the first week), so I'm guessing the accuracy of their estimates varies quite a lot from person to person.
  • kayla_larsen
    Options
    So is it okay to eat less than the 1200 calories? I've always heard that your body needs a minimum amount so it doesn't go into starvation mode.
  • brife17
    Options
    i dont think there is a starvation mode when you are overweight or trying to lose weight. as long as you are drinking enought fluids....mainly water!!! your body will live off the fat. but still you need some calories so for a short amount of time a very low calorie diet will help you lose weight fast, just dont lose too fast or you will get nasty scars.
    best of luck
    Bailey
  • sanlin20
    sanlin20 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting topic. I have read the following article at weightwatchers.com, which says the starvation mode is just a myth:
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501&sc=801

On the other hand, many nutritionists teach and people believe they fail to lose weight because they are in starvation mode. I think the truth lies in-between. I am not a nutritionist, but having studied energy conservation and laws of thermodynamics, etc., I can believe that a human body can go into some kind of a survival mode when not enough food is taken for extended period. In that mode, the body will try to allocate the scarce energy only for vital organs/functions just to stay alive. How will you know you are in that mode? Well, you will have no energy even to move around (forget about doing jumping-jacks), and you will look skeletonic, just like the pictures from years ago of kids and adults of a famine stricken African nation.

The bottom line is that if you are gaining weight (no matter how little you think you are eating), you are not starving, therefore not in starvation mode. On the other hand, if you are losing your muscles and willingness to even move around, you are probably in starvation mode. Just my two cents.
  • stupidrobot
    stupidrobot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    From what I have heard - and I'm not a doctor or anything - it is okay to eat less than 1200 calories for a short time, but it's unhealthy to eat less than that for too long. I don't know exactly how long that is though. Personally, I wouldn't do it for more than a week, and I probably wouldn't have the willpower to do it for longer than that anyway. I had never heard of starvation mode until yesterday when I started using this site - I gather it's the idea that if you eat too little your body will burn fat more slowly? I don't know if starvation mode actually occurs or not, but I do know that during the week where I had only 900 calories a day I lost weight so quickly that I changed my diet out of concern that losing too much weight in too short a space of time would be detrimental to my health. If doing an under 1200 calorie diet I would worry more about being careful to eat the right foods and get enough nourishment than about going into starvation mode.
  • brife17
    Options
    ok my mom, is a nurse and has been for over 40 years. it is fine to have very low calorie diet for a very short amount of time, 2-3 weeks. have no calorie or low calorie food.
This discussion has been closed.