Muscle stiffness

Options
Hey Everyone,

I'm sure everyone has heard about people being stiff after a workout.....My stiffness, however, I never encountered before....After I finish my 2 mile walk, I feel stiff in my shoulder blade area.....I'm not carrying anything while I'm walking...It takes a good hour or two before the stiffness subsides a bit so that I can move.....Any ideas why this is happening and how I can prevent it????

Replies

• kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Growing up I played soccer and basketball and use to experience killer tightness/pain between my shoulder blades. I figured out it was because my upper body was so tense while I was running. I have found now that I really have to concentrate on relaxing my shoulders while I'm running. Whenever I feel them tensing up, I will stop, stretch my upper body a bit and let them relax before I start again. I would suggest before you walk to stretch really good, not just your legs but your upper body as well.

Also, if you're walking on a treadmill and hanging on to the rails, that can definitely cause your upper body to tense up.
  • ccaruso219
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I usually do a full stretch before doing anything, I think I might have to stretch more upper body.