not sore = not a good workout?

mkoff32
mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I remember I used to get really sore after working out, but I haven't been getting sore at all. I will destroy my arms and chest to exhaustion and then either not be sore or am barely sore at all the next day. I'm confused by this...

Replies

• badbradclark
    badbradclark Posts: 47 Member
    This is normal. When you start up a workout on a muscle group, they will be sore for a day or two after. After you've been working those muscles for a while, you stop feeling the day after (or two day after) soreness. I don't know what the medical or physiological meaning is, but I can only report what my own experience has been. If you laid off the workouts for a month or two and then started back up, you would likely go back to feeling the soreness again.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    You may just need to try a different routine, or increase the resistance.
  • HawkeyeGuy
    HawkeyeGuy Posts: 183
    Switch it up. The body is amazing at it's ability to adapt - which is what causes those strength and size gains in the first place. You do something it's not used to, so it adapts and becomes able to accomplish those things quickly. Key is to never keep doing the same routine for a long period. That soreness can be a great indicator of when to switch.

Still work those body parts, but change the angle of attack using new exercises, and change the intensity by periodizing your max percentage weight lifted and number of reps. It's tough to convince yourself to do this sometimes, as you're probably lifting heavier weights with the "old" exercises, but you're not reaping as much benefit anymore.

If you need ideas of a new plan, let me know.
  • mkoff32
    mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
    I kind of thought that, but does the body's ability to adapt translate into negative results? Will you just not gain muscle, but not lose muscle if you stayed with the same routine?
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    If you stretch properly you should not be that sore.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    "No pain, No gain" is complete bullsh*t. You don't have to be sore after a workout to be getting a good workout.
  • sshultz
    sshultz Posts: 27 Member
    I agree with HawkeyeGuy, time to change it up. And although stretching is very important, it's not proven to prevent soreness after a workout. And remember to never stretch cold muscles. Always do some kind of warm up before stretching.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Stretching will not prevent soreness after a workout--not real DOMS anyway.

Introducing some variety into a workout can be a good idea, depending on your goals or routine, but a lack of "soreness" doesn't mean that a change is necessary. Even if you do change up your workout, you should do it in a way that doesn't elicit a high degree of DOMS.

DOMS is not evidence of a quality workout. It can sometimes be evidence of a dumb one, though.

Progressive overload and steady progress can be achieved without experiencing DOMS. Rather than randomly changing exercises to elicit muscle soreness, which has no value, you would be better off analyzing your routine, esp your intensity and periodization schedule, to make sure you are following appropriate training principles.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Actually if you warm up before and stretch after your body should not be that sore if you stretch properly. I'm not saying you won't be sore but not very severe. It was on one of my fitness videos or biggest loser can't remember. I didn't really stretch that much when I would go to the gym. I was severe pain. Now that I stretch good after I hardley am sore.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Actually if you warm up before and stretch after your body should not be that sore if you stretch properly. I'm not saying you won't be sore but not very severe. It was on one of my fitness videos or biggest loser can't remember. I didn't really stretch that much when I would go to the gym. I was severe pain. Now that I stretch good after I hardley am sore.

Ditto. I have been doing Power 90 (the precursor to P90X), and I am hardly ever sore after a workout, but over time I was seeing results, so I know it was working.

I think that while you are completing a set you should definitely feel it, but taking time to stretch is very important.
This discussion has been closed.