how to break habits

Options
How do you break a habit of going to the vending machine every work day for a snickers bar????? I wake up each day, determined to quit going to the awful vending machine, but sure enough, between 9am and 10am my sweet tooth goes into serious overdrive and it so hard to stay strong. I have a boring desk job, so it isn't like I have a lot of do to keep my mind off of it. Will power is just something I lack, horribly. If I can just make it to lunch. After lunch, my snacking desire just vanishes, but sadly returns at the same time, everyday.

Replies

• sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Mind over body. Bring healthy snacks for you to munch on. Do you have a fridge at your work? Bring fresh fruit for the sweet tooth. I plan everything for the week and time my meals with some extra wiggle room. Also to make it more difficult for yourself, don't have cash with you so you can't go to the vending machine. You have to remind yourself of your goals and what's stopping you. They say it takes 21 days to break a habit and seriously it works. I'm on my 23rd without any junk food or fast food. It was hard at first but now I barely think about it.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You have to replace it with something else.

Instead, bring a healthy snack like greek yogurt or fruit. Then, instead of getting up to go to the vending machine, get up and take the stairs to the top of your building, or walk all the way around your building if you don't have stairs, grab your snack and sit back down at your desk to eat it.

Make yourself do this for 2 weeks. It will probably take a lot of discipline. But, do it and see if it works.
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Agree with both of these ladies!! Bring healthy snacks to work. Don't bring change or $! Pretend the vending machine is broken. I'm sure if it really was, you'd have to stop going to it, right? Bring a picture of a skinnier self (if you have one) and keep it in your wallet next to your dollar bills...so when you go to get that 1.00 you can be reminded of how you want to look and feel.

You can do it. you just have to want it bad enough and be determined. Like Jillian Michaels always says, "there's nothing you cant do!" Good Luck!
  • imthejenjen
    Options
    You have to replace it with something else.

Instead, bring a healthy snack like greek yogurt or fruit. Then, instead of getting up to go to the vending machine, get up and take the stairs to the top of your building, or walk all the way around your building if you don't have stairs, grab your snack and sit back down at your desk to eat it.

Make yourself do this for 2 weeks. It will probably take a lot of discipline. But, do it and see if it works.

btw, WOW!! congratulations on your weight loss!! That is excellent! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • imthejenjen
    Options
    How do you break a habit of going to the vending machine every work day for a snickers bar????? I wake up each day, determined to quit going to the awful vending machine, but sure enough, between 9am and 10am my sweet tooth goes into serious overdrive and it so hard to stay strong. I have a boring desk job, so it isn't like I have a lot of do to keep my mind off of it. Will power is just something I lack, horribly. If I can just make it to lunch. After lunch, my snacking desire just vanishes, but sadly returns at the same time, everyday.

Also, are you eating a healthy, fulfilling breakfast? And are you drinking enough water? When I get the urge to snack, I drink at a MINIMUM, an 8oz glass of water. Sometimes 16oz.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    it would probably help if you don't have any cash or change on your person or in your desk.

i mean, who uses cash these days anyway. might as well use a check...
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    One thing to consider....That snickers bar is packed with peanuts so you may need to replace it with a high protein snack. Try cashews and grapes. Sounds odd, but they actually work well together.

I also have to get up and move around during the day - to break up the monotony. Stand and do some of the daily challenges found on the message boards (like today's which is 360 jumping jacks and/or 100 side knee lifts), or do as previous posters suggested and take a walk around the office - AFTER eating your snack so that you are not tempted!

Another idea is to stand while you talk on the phone. Helps break up the day!

Good luck! :happy:
  • tdkgirly
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions of bringing a healthy snack, going for a walk, and carrying no cash (if you feel vulnerable w/o any, leave it in your car so if you really need it, you have to go for a walk to get it, thus giving you time to think away your craving). But I also see that you know it is always between 9-10 am. Perhaps that is when there is a noticeable lull in your workday so the free time and mid-morning munchies all come at the same time, maybe you can also try to change up your work schedule so that you are more engaged in a project at that time, thus literally working thru your craving.
  • Tinker_and_Bash
    Tinker_and_Bash Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to Reeses cups. ADDICTED. I used to eat 4 a day, and they did nothing for me nutritionally or filling me up. So I took a single serving plain greek yogurt, mixed in half a pack of sugar free cocoa, and a little bit of PB2. So I had Reeses flavor, the same calories as 2 cups but would keep me full for about 3 hours. Maybe do something similar. Bring yogurt, half a pack of cocoa or chocolate protien powder, maybe six or seven chopped up peanuts or almonds. Mix it all together and maybe freeze for a bit to give it some texture. Or mayve even that chocolate mousse yogurt with chopped nuts mixed in.
  • imthejenjen
    Options
    I was addicted to Reeses cups. ADDICTED. I used to eat 4 a day, and they did nothing for me nutritionally or filling me up. So I took a single serving plain greek yogurt, mixed in half a pack of sugar free cocoa, and a little bit of PB2. So I had Reeses flavor, the same calories as 2 cups but would keep me full for about 3 hours. Maybe do something similar. Bring yogurt, half a pack of cocoa or chocolate protien powder, maybe six or seven chopped up peanuts or almonds. Mix it all together and maybe freeze for a bit to give it some texture. Or mayve even that chocolate mousse yogurt with chopped nuts mixed in.

that sounds delicious! NEED to try!
  • happywithme12
    happywithme12 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Breaking habits like that is hard I have a boring desk job as well and when I am not busy I just want to eat but I find something to do to keep my mind occupied so I don't think about it, this site actually helps I try to encourage people and go through posts to try to help people and it keeps my mind off of things until lunch time as I have the same problem. From 12-1 I sit at my desk and it is the hardest point of the day if I am not busy so I find something to do during that time so I don't even think about food. You should try that and it may help, the healthier snacks will help but the key is getting your mind off of wanting to go get a snickers. You can do this, I have a big peanut butter cupcake that has been sitting in my fridge for a week and I am determined to loose 10 pounds before I touch it and I LOVE peanut butter its all about mind over matter and if i can do it so can you
  • Rodderick89
    Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Do you have any good friends at work that you could 'confide' in that you're trying to eat healthier and to tell you to step away from the vending machine? Sounds silly, but I've been asking two of my colleagues (who are good friends) to do that if they see me going to get dessert or unhealthy snacks to tell me off and they do, jokingly, but it's enough to stop me!
  • Yaxomoxay
    Yaxomoxay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Read the book "The power of habit". It's truly amazing, it explains why we do what we do.
    In addition you will not look at a grocery store the same way you do now.
    Most intriguing book I read in a while... And I am a bookworm!
  • redheadedgal
    redheadedgal Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for all the replies. this site is actually becoming addicting and I am on it probably more than I should be at work. I have made it two days with no vending machine raid, so I am proud of myself for that one. I have also gone to the gym yesterday and today at lunch and it makes me want to eat better. The support from this site gives me strength, believe it or not.
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    Bring some protein bars and have them at your desk. (that's what I do! ) Save that change...it will add up and treat yourself to a manicure or pedicure!!
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to go from 100 to zero, so here's a highly successful retraining technique:

1. Buy a package of snickers bars and take one every day to work with you from home and eat it an hour after your typical snickers time -- do this for one week

2. Buy a package of snickers bars and take one every OTHER day to work and eat TWO hours after your original snickers habit time -- on the in-between days -- pack another delicious snack with sweetness (e.g. greek yoghurt, honey, berries) for your original snack time -- do this for one week

3. Buy only two snickers bars from the store -- have one on Tuesday, one on Thursday, AFTER LUNCH, and during your morning original snickers snack time, eat a HEALTHY but tasty snack (e.g. roasted chickpeas with honey) at the original snickers break time each day for a week

4. Buy one snickers bar -- you can have it whenever you like for that week -- prepare other healthier but tasty snacks to munch during your morning snack time, AND for a PM snack time

*optional to omit snickers completely from the following weeks except for occasional treat

You're now bad habit free, and have new healthier habits that still allow you to snack on yummy stuff that's lower cal and better nutritionally in between your meals to maintain a more even blood sugar. Well done!!
  • AdoraK
    AdoraK Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the money on you, you can't get it!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't take cash or change with me to work. Can't use the vending machine! (yes, our machines take credit cards, but I just can't bring myself to use a credit card for a vending machine - that just makes it seem that much worse to me!)
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Read the book "The power of habit". It's truly amazing, it explains why we do what we do.
    In addition you will not look at a grocery store the same way you do now.
    Most intriguing book I read in a while... And I am a bookworm!

That book is awesome!! That is the book that actually opened my eyes to why I kept doing things over and over again even though I wanted to change. It made me see that it is not about will power, but about my habits, and by changing my habits I could change my life. Love it.
  • sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Breaking habits like that is hard I have a boring desk job as well and when I am not busy I just want to eat but I find something to do to keep my mind occupied so I don't think about it, this site actually helps I try to encourage people and go through posts to try to help people and it keeps my mind off of things until lunch time as I have the same problem.

I think this is a good idea! I doubt very seriously that, if you get on here and read what we are all going through, the snickers will sound appealing anymore...

STAY STRONG!!