Right Calories burned?

Options
My Husband bought me the Gold's Gym Twist N Step. I really like it but When I used it last night it said, 100 calories burned. I was on it for 22 minutes and pretty sweaty. Is That right? Is there a way to figure it better? Because I plan on adding weight to the routine like 5lbs in each hand. I do not have any of those heart rate monitors or anything. I just want it to be accurate (or close). I am at the point where I want to lose 13lbs. and I know it's going to be super hard. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Classyandra
    Classyandra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump anybody?
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my treadmill. It says I burn more calories than MFP does. I figure it's because it's set at a default, and MFP takes into account my weight, height, and all the rest. Is there a comparable exercise in the database that you could use? That would probably be more accurate for you.
  • Classyandra
    Options
    I have the same problem with my treadmill. It says I burn more calories than MFP does. I figure it's because it's set at a default, and MFP takes into account my weight, height, and all the rest. Is there a comparable exercise in the database that you could use? That would probably be more accurate for you.

Thanks! I see others in my news feed and think I worked way harder than leisurle pace, and my calories show lower. For example
    (SO AND SO) burned 174 calories doing 30 minutes of "Walking, 2.5 mph, leisurely pace. I felt like I burned more than it said.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I go to Golds Gym and their elliptical.... eventhough i enter my weight, age etc says i burn atleast 100 calories less than what MFP says after entering it. The only real way to tell is using the HR monitors and devices. I also have a bike at home thats "wheel" is shaped to cause wind resistance... i cant even last 10 minuites on there... MFP claims i only burned 5-6 calories... but i am sweatting..... and panting like a dog. I went online and found the calories burned for the exact bike I have and entered it manually. So your not alone. I usually just take what MFP says... if its more or less I figure Im still doing work :) And if you want to know the exacts take a look at a cheap HR monitor for better accuracy :)
  • Classyandra
    Options
    I go to Golds Gym and their elliptical.... eventhough i enter my weight, age etc says i burn atleast 100 calories less than what MFP says after entering it. The only real way to tell is using the HR monitors and devices. I also have a bike at home thats "wheel" is shaped to cause wind resistance... i cant even last 10 minuites on there... MFP claims i only burned 5-6 calories... but i am sweatting..... and panting like a dog. I went online and found the calories burned for the exact bike I have and entered it manually. So your not alone. I usually just take what MFP says... if its more or less I figure Im still doing work :) And if you want to know the exacts take a look at a cheap HR monitor for better accuracy :)

Thank you! I think I will do that! just find a happy middle or something! I'll look int a HR monitor down the road... as long as I keep it up!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So the calorie burn estimates from walking level on a treadmill are some of the most accurate calories counts you'll get without being hooked up to a gas mask measuring your O2 estimate. As long as you enter weight in. Total weight, with shoes and clothes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

So if you have access to a treadmill after doing this device a few times to get an idea of how hard it feels, you can then walk on a treadmill until you find a face that feels like the same level of effort.
    Now stop that session, start again at that pace, and see how many calories you get for nice round 30 min. Then you can do the math per minute and use it again for your device.

Don't need a HRM for this level of stuff, especially a cheap one for calorie burns will be much worse estimate than above method.