Broken or sprained

Options
Hi, I just joined a gym a few weeks ago and finally got into an exercise routine then last night I missed the bottom two steps and came down on my ankle and either broke or sprained it. I know everyone is going to say go to the Dr to get xrays but I would like opinions of people who may have had the same injury. I dont want a big dr bill if it is just a sprain. So it is not very swollen at all, very slight bruise but I cannot walk on it....only if i turn my foot outward i can barely limp. I cannot walk with it facing forward. Anyone have any opinions on if it could be broken even without much swelling? Again, other than the obvious go to the dr please. Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a sprain can be worse than a break. Ligaments get torn, etc.

Go to the Doctor. Or not. It's your ankle <shrug>
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    yeah thats what I hear. I may just have to go if its not better by tomorrow
  • sjeagle30
    Options

um wow??? I was just basically asking if anyone had similar experience and if it turned out broke or if it could be broke if not swollen but thanks for the awesome answer.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I did almost this very thing about a month ago playing basketball. It's still sore, but I can run, etc on it. It didn't swell up that much, but walking was a chore. The thing with ankles is, it could be broken and you'd never know it. I broke a small bone in my left ankle about 6 years ago and went 2 years without finding it. It acted just like a sprain, except after it healed when I'd try to come out of my backpedal in football it would hurt like hell. Turns out there was a really small bone in the ankle/top of the foot that had a fracture in it.

Not sure if this helps, but good luck.
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Impossible to tell, I have had and seen breaks/sprains that defy conventional wisdom. I broke my ankle around the growth plate and you would never have known. No bruising or swelling. If it is a fracture you really want it to heal correctly, I would get X-ray ASAP.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    While blunt letjog gave the best answer.

We have no way of knowing. You need to suck it up and go to the doctor. I had a 'slight' sprain at 17 that was literally me falling over my shoelaces. At 29 I still occasionly have pain.

We can give you basic advice (RICE methodology) but I'd you want to know if your ankle is broken ONLY a doctor Dan tell you that.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    While blunt letjog gave the best answer.

We have no way of knowing. You need to suck it up and go to the doctor. I had a 'slight' sprain at 17 that was literally me falling over my shoelaces. At 29 I still occasionly have pain.

We can give you basic advice (RICE methodology) but I'd you want to know if your ankle is broken ONLY a doctor Dan tell you that.

I agree. Look the DOCTOR can't tell without X-rays. You really think we can tell with just a description? Sorry, but we all need a kick in the pants once in a while.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Uhm.

I landed hard on my ankle in high school and it swellled up to grapefruit size. Couldn't walk on it, nothing. Xrays showed nothing and within two days it was fine. However I have long lasting ankle issues that I still struggle to deal with because of that injury and that I didn't get it treated because it wasn't a break.

The problem with ankles is they can be delicate and they are important. If you can't walk on it, you need to go to the dr unfortunately. I can appreciate trying to avoid the bill but would you rather get it looked at now, or possibly have serious issues in the future that may cost you more time and money?
  • aimeev2
    aimeev2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain -- literally! I just tripped and fell earlier in December, totally rolling my ankle. Right after the injury it swelled up, and I could limp around on it a little but only to do what was absolutely necessary. I called a 24-hour nurse line for advice and was told since I didn't hear a pop and I could put a little weight on it, it was probably just sprained. But if I still felt bad in a few days, at least go to the doctor for some painkillers.

Fast forward a few days, and I'm sitting with my doctor looking at an x-ray showing a hairline fracture. What's worse was the ligament damage, and the fact that it was on both sides of my foot. I am now going into my 6th week in a cast, and hoping to get the okay to go into a walking boot for the final two weeks.

I guess my long-winded point is, it's nearly impossible to self-diagnose something like this. Believe me, I tried! I had no idea that damaging ligaments was such a big deal. My doctor said if I hadn't come in, I could have damaged my ligaments and bone further and could have needed surgery. I strongly suggest you get this checked out, because you want this injury to heal.

Best of luck and I hope you heal quickly, no matter what it is!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Can you put any weight on it?

If you answer in a very annoyed tone, “Yes, I can, but it hurts!!” then you probably have a sprain. If you try to put weight on it and your answer is “Oww!! Owww!!” followed by a collapse to the ground, then you probably have a fracture.

http://www.healingfeet.com/blog/foot-care/sprained-ankle-or-broken-ankle
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Can you put any weight on it?

If you answer in a very annoyed tone, “Yes, I can, but it hurts!!” then you probably have a sprain. If you try to put weight on it and your answer is “Oww!! Owww!!” followed by a collapse to the ground, then you probably have a fracture.

http://www.healingfeet.com/blog/foot-care/sprained-ankle-or-broken-ankle

I did that with my first one, but after a few minutes in the morning I could walk on it.
  • sjeagle30
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. I just made an appt for the doc. Hopefully just a sprain
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My father, brother, and ex-husband all have walked around on ankles that they were absolutely sure were "just a sprain" to find out as much as two weeks later that they were actually broken legs.

Only the doctor can tell for sure. Glad you are going.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    A sprain would likely involve more swelling than a break. That said, stop being silly and go to a doctor to get it checked out. The only way to know is to have it X-rayed.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's broken and can't be fixed.

I'm referring to my faith in the human race. As for your ankle, how the hell would i know? Go see a doctor
  • lisadiane41
    Options
    Listen I know you don't want to hear this but I fell and my foot was bruised and I did not want to go to the ER but I ended up fracturing my foot in 5 places and tearing the ligament. Do yourself a favor go to the ER before it gets worse. I am like you I do not want to incur bills I do not have to I actually had to be dragged to the ER but thank god I was. I was told if left untreated my foot would have healed all messed up. And this is not web-med. So we are not professionals so go to the doctor or the ER.
  • Hazel0096
    Hazel0096 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    These message boards are so unbelievably mean-spirited.

Why bother responding if it's not constructive?

Sorry you hurt yourself OP. In my experience with my own ankle injury - less swelling, less bruising mean a broken bone for me. I fell going out my front door with my daughter in my arms. The people at the hospital didn't even think there was anything wrong with my ankle because my back hurt far more. I had 2 broken ribs too.

One good thing with ankle injuries - breaks actually heal better than tissue damage. So as sucky as it might be, it would probably be better if you did crack a bone :(
  • sjeagle30
    Options
    These message boards are so unbelievably mean-spirited.

Why bother responding if it's not constructive?

Sorry you hurt yourself OP. In my experience with my own ankle injury - less swelling, less bruising mean a broken bone for me. I fell going out my front door with my daughter in my arms. The people at the hospital didn't even think there was anything wrong with my ankle because my back hurt far more. I had 2 broken ribs too.

One good thing with ankle injuries - breaks actually heal better than tissue damage. So as sucky as it might be, it would probably be better if you did crack a bone :(

Thanks! And you are right....people really can be mean spirited on here. I have been on MFP for almost a year and have only posted a few things for this exact reason. So easy to be an assmuch on here when they dont have to say it to your face. I was simply asking if people have had breaks that did not swell or bruise much. Thanks again for you honest opinion based on epxerience.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I gave you TWO opinions. Hopefully you take both to heart because they will both help you in the long run