Am I cheating?

Options
2»

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My FitBit would log it as exercise. I disagree with changing your activity level. If it's only twice a day and the rest of it is spent sitting at a desk, it would be inaccurate overall.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    If it's part of your daily routine, I would include it in your activity level settings rather than logging it as exercise.

Agree.
  • cskalaj
    cskalaj Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think you're over thinking it. I've found that trying to log every single step I take and every single bite I take tends to make me not want to log at all as it is so time consuming. (As somewhat of a perfectionist, I have a hard time beginning projects if I can't do it AND DO IT RIGHT to completion...which sometimes hinders me from beginning things.) You're looking at, what, MAYBE 100 calories per day from taking the stairs? I'd say if you're that hungry for an extra 100 calories by the end of the day, then eat it, but don't log it so you don't feel like you have to eat it....and really try not to sweat every 15 calories. It takes 3,500 to make a pound, so even if you're over or under 100 each day, you're only looking at a pound over the course of a month! I've learned to allow myself 100 to "play with" so as to not be too overwhelmed to log :)
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    dude, who cares how you log it? It just rules that you're doing it..........

very true! good job on doing it...:smile:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It depends. It should be figured into your calorie count but there are two ways to do it. If this is part of your activity level (eg, if it's part of your otherwise 'lightly active' lifestyle) then don't worry about logging it. But if you list yourself as 'sedentary' then I would definitely log it.

Accounting for it is not cheating, it's accuracy! It's just down to how you account for it. And good on you walking up the stairs! Way to go!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would factor it into my general activity level. It's great you're doing it. I do similar things, for example, taking the stairs instead of the elevator.

The reason there is an "exercise" category is because people seriously trying to lose or maintain need structured, vigorous, consistent exercise.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies folks, loving that people are engaging and also explaining their reasons. Really apprciate that.
    I do have my activity level at Sedentary because from 9 - 5, I sit at a desk.
    I tend to go for a walk at lunch ( which I don't count. ) but that's it during the day.
    The only time I tend to include a walk etc is if I'm using it to "cool down" after training/working out. Like I'd maybe do a HARD hour or so then go out for a leisurely walk to relax before showering etc. I'd include that because my heart rate would still be somewhat elevated and I'd still sweat.
    So it's NOT a case of monitoring every step.
    I tend to operate on the theory that if it makes me sweat or breath harder - it's exercise.
    And as depressing as it might be, taking the stairs still leaves me sounding like Christian Bale in Batman.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The problem with MFP's "sedentary" setting is that it assumes you're going to log shopping, cleaning, and all that other daily stuff. Their sedentary means truly sitting on your butt all day.

If you don't want to log the stairs, walking around, shopping, cleaning, playing with kids/pets, and all that other stuff you do, set it to "lightly active". I started losing weight again as soon as I fixed my setting.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    get a fitbit and it will personalize your daily calorie burn based on what you have averaged in the past. I use my HRM during my actual workouts and i log that in MFP, then it feeds over into fitbit. If i burn more throughout the day than average after taking my workouts into account, it gives me a fitbit calorie adjustment on MFP. Plus then that tracks the steps you take, the floors your climb and miles you walk. Amazing little device that Fitbit is.
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Why not log it?...I mean in reality you are going out of your way to get in some extra exercise so I'd include it...keep up the hard work!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    If you are doing exercise, logging it and loosing weight, results prove its not cheating!
  • dtiapril
    Options
    I wouldn't log it personally because it's too small to make a substantial difference. Sometimes I don't bother to log the sugar free drinks I have that are about 5-10 calories either. As someone has previously said if I had to log every single thing that passes my lips and every step taken it would become too much of a chore.

I tend to only log exercise that is a deliberate 30 minute or more session. I don't log my daily dog walks because I've always done them, I only log them if I go out for an extra walk for my benefit or we go on a particularly big walk.

I figure not counting the 'small' bits of exercise means I can take it easy not logging the small things like sugar free drinks and a handful of cherry tomatoes.

It's working for me so far. If I hit a plateau or start to struggle then I may adopt a much stricter approach, but the key is not to get bored of counting and just inevitably stopping altogether.

I guess if logging the stairs makes you more motivated then do it by all means, as long as you are tracking everything you eat/drink. If you like tracking the exercise and you are losing weight then great! If not, take another look at it.
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think it's up to you. Do you feel like you are cheating? Does it motivate you? I think it's just awesome that you do that in the first place. I make an effort to take the stairs too but don't log it because I don't have a HRM.

I don't have source but my friend (med student) told me that we can burn up to 500-1000 cals more a day just by changing little things like: taking the stairs, parking further from the door, making more trips when bringing in groceries, etc.
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    Cheers again folks.
    The way I look at it is 40 - 45 calories per day is a minimum of 200 per week.
    Over a working month that's a minimum of 800 cals.
    That's basically 1 calories free meal a month.