Options
Hello everyone. I am new to FitnessPal, and I am hoping it is the tool that can help me succeed. I am looking to make myself healhier for my children and husband. I am currently weighing in at 281 pounds, and I am not happy about it. My goal is to lose weight at a steady pace while changing my eating habits. I currently work in an office, and have limited access to work out. I need some suggestions on office workouts to help keep me going. I also have a gym with limited equipment where I work. I have low confidence on working on a treadmill, we don't mix well. I appreciate everyone for reading this post, and I accept your suggestions.

Replies

• bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Hello & Welcome. I find this site really helpful for my eating habits. I was shocked at some of the things I was eating and grossly underestimating how many calories they were. The gym has also helped me a lot but if you don't have much access to one that can be difficult. Do you get a lunch, 30 minutes or 1 hour? Can you walk for that time or half that time? It doesn't have to be on the treadmill, just around the building or parking lot, or up and down a few flights of stairs. I work in an office setting too but there isn't much room for me to catch in a workout while there. Best of luck and feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Eunique25
    Eunique25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My name is Ivori and I am fairly new to the site. I joined a little while ago but I haven't been on here. Just having a hard time getting started and knowing where to start. Im not su re what to eat, what not to eat, what workouts to do. Looking for some motivation really!
  • Chris5138
    Options
    Commit to it and no matter what don't give up!!! Your worth it...
  • tlkrallman
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. In the beginning just take things slow, park your car farther from your office building, if you work on an upper floor and take an elevator, start with a flight of stairs or two before getting on the elevator. You can do crunches in your office chair. As far as the treadmill, just start at a very slow pace and work yourself up to a faster one. I use to walk around my building at lunch time or on breaks. You can do anything you want, if you want it bad enough! :)
  • grodi01
    Options
    Hi There!
    Good for you! You've made the first step!! I am a RN and on the days I work my 12-14 hr. shifts, it is really hard to get in extra exercise. I will do the stairs when I have time or just walk at a fast pace around the unit. I used to work in an office for 20 years before becoming a RN. I had a girlfriend there (Julie) that used to walk with me on our lunch hours. We would change clothes, walk at a fast pace for 45 mins. on the sidewalks in town, get back to the office and wipe down (with a towel we brought from home) and change back into our office clothes. We'd eat at our desks after our walk. We were committed to each to and it really worked. We encouraged each other. We were also good about encouraging each other to make healthy choices of foods and we discussed our weight loses and our struggles. Having a buddy is a really important part to this. When you are needing support, you can go to that person for encouragement and when you are doing well you can go to that person to be a cheerleader!! Good Luck. I know it is hard. No one said it was easy. But, I assure you that you will feel SO much better once you start exercising and eating better...both mentally and physically. Start out slow with the exercise. And if you don't like the treadmill...start out walking outside and maybe try the treadmill later on at a slow pace and then gradually increase the speed so you don't feel like you'll fall off!! Good Luck!! You can friend me if you want to and I'll support you!
  • grodi01
    Options
    Hello -
    First of all get your body moving!! Walking is a great exercise and walking outside helps make you mentally feel wonderful. Your brain releases chemicals in your brain when you exercising that gives the body a natural feel-good high! Plus the fresh air will feel good, too! Start with 15 mins. of walking and go up from there. You can even do stairs in your house. As far as eating. If you can grow it, it is good to eat, basically. Since you have the internet you have access to so many good websites that can help you with food choices. Try going to the readers digest website - they have a diet there that can help you. If you can afford it, you can join Weight Watchers--excellent way to learn about what to eat and what to stay away from. You can do the internet based WW or go to meetings around where you live. There is also alot of good info. on this website in the Community Forums. Good Luck to you!!
  • TMR001
    TMR001 Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi new here as well. Lost lots of weight (75 lbs) years ago with WW and then marriage and baby and here I am again :) Came from a paid food diary site that didn't offer aps for iPad and Android.

The single biggest reason for my success on WW years ago was logging my food intake. Weighing and measuring EVERYTHING. No guessing on serving sizes!!!! Of course what goes along with that is staying in recommended calorie intake.

When I did WW before I lost about 35 lbs before I started an exercise program so you can lose the weight with a modest increase in exercise.

Take baby steps... just start walking whatever you can fit in. Weigh, measure, and log everything. Don't forget about liquid calories...those add up fast.

We can do this!