Best Exercises for the Beginner with a Lot to Lose

Options
Over the years, I have been a member at Curves, bought an exercise video or two...never found anything that was either that interesting or that sustainable in terms of physical ability. Since committing to this new lifestyle, I have been trying to swim 3-4 times a week -- you get a lot of calorie burn for your buck and it is easy on all the joints, the back, etc -- which is kind of necessary until I get some of this weight off. Walking is good, I know -- but really BORING.

So -- for those of you who still have or had a lot to lose -- what exercises did you find to be the best and most interesting and doable to start with? I read about people biking and Zumba'ing and all this stuff -- and I mean, really, I know that my 400+ pound frame is not going to be able to bike right now -- and there's no way my knees (nor my ego!) will take bouncing around a dance studio at this point in time. Some day definitely -- I would love to add those types of activities to my fitness regime -- but let's be realistic for now and not risk injury to body or self-esteem! Because that will just keep me from sticking with any kind of fitness plan.

So -- do I just stick with swimming for now (and is doing just one activity okay for now in terms of future success) -- or do any of you have any other suggestions for getting started and building up?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and advice!

Replies

• sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Lesilie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds DVDs are great. Look for ones with some toning work too.

Have fun and take it one day at a time. Good Luck!!
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Where you swim, do you have access to a water aerobics class? It'll help break up any boredom you have from just swimming. Heck, my place offers Aqua Zumba.

Also, if you've joined a gym, do you have the money to invest in a personal trainer? You may not have the money for one every workout session, but seeing one once a week or a couple times a month and learning new exercises that you could do on your own may help as well.

Hope this helps.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about maintaining a reasonable calorie deficit. That can be done with diet alone, or with diet and exercise... which ever you prefer.

If you choose to incorporate exercise, strength training and cardio affect the body differently, but both have a variety of benefits. Seeing as you are just starting out, I'd do whatever you most enjoy, whatever you are most apt to stick with, and whatever you will work the hardest at. Strength training is great, but only if you'll actually put in the time and do the work. I'd rather see you do some cardio that you enjoy and will stick with than half-*kitten* a lifting program for 2 weeks before you quit.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    90% of your weight loss will come from your diet. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. Do whatever activity you like and that you can keep doing. As weight comes off you'll be able to do so much more.
  • minsch
    minsch Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I used to and have been thinking about doing them again.....Richard Simmons sweating to the oldies. LOL while they are cheesy they work and they are made for anyone to be able to do
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Best exercise is whatever you will stick to consistently. That being said, strength training will ensure you look good once the weight is off.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds lame... but I started with just simply walking for a couple of miles everyday. Just make a conscious effort to move more and have a calorie deficit everyday and you will lose weight.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I have been a member at Curves, bought an exercise video or two...never found anything that was either that interesting or that sustainable in terms of physical ability. Since committing to this new lifestyle, I have been trying to swim 3-4 times a week -- you get a lot of calorie burn for your buck and it is easy on all the joints, the back, etc -- which is kind of necessary until I get some of this weight off. Walking is good, I know -- but really BORING.

So -- for those of you who still have or had a lot to lose -- what exercises did you find to be the best and most interesting and doable to start with? I read about people biking and Zumba'ing and all this stuff -- and I mean, really, I know that my 400+ pound frame is not going to be able to bike right now -- and there's no way my knees (nor my ego!) will take bouncing around a dance studio at this point in time. Some day definitely -- I would love to add those types of activities to my fitness regime -- but let's be realistic for now and not risk injury to body or self-esteem! Because that will just keep me from sticking with any kind of fitness plan.

So -- do I just stick with swimming for now (and is doing just one activity okay for now in terms of future success) -- or do any of you have any other suggestions for getting started and building up?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and advice!

walking on a treadmill is probably boring, but taking long walks outside around your neighborhood is a good way to get some fresh air and be alone with your thoughts.
  • susanhadley1229
    Options
    Are you a music fan? Do you like to take photos? Do you need to catch up with family or friends?

While you walk, play your favorite upbeat music and move to the rhythm. Take your mobile phone or a camera and snap pictures of interesting or weird stuff along your path...create a daily walk diary of your pics. If you need to make phone calls to family or friends, use your walk time to do that, too.

Walk a different route, go with a friend...change it up, but keep it up!

Good Health!
    Susan
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    90% of your weight loss will come from your diet. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. Do whatever activity you like and that you can keep doing. As weight comes off you'll be able to do so much more.

that 90% number is pulled out of thin air.... for somebody 350lbs or 400lbs, cardio exercise is A LOT more than 10% of the equation during the first 100+ lbs.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you are enjoying swimming stick with that as your main exercise! If you vary strokes you can do a lot. Water aerobics or classes like aqua zumba can be good. Try doing some stretches, jumps and running in the pool on your own - I only do this if the pool is quiet.

A personal trainer is a good recommendation as they will be able to help you progress and work at your own level without injury. They are expensive though. I got a PT who I see once a week and although I don't like the cost it is worth it. I get to do stuff I could not do on my own e.g. boxing and throwing (medicine balls).

Don't dismiss walking just try to build up your daily steps and activity from your current levels by incorporating into your day. Consider using the striiv app if you have a smart phone it is fun with mini challenges. I have a fitbit and built up considerablely my step average over the last few months.

Good luck
  • bahhumbug2
    bahhumbug2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Here's what helped me - use whatever you can. First I gave in to my hubby's pleas to go to the Humane Society and "look at" dogs. Yup, came home with a German Shepherd/Australian cattle dog mix. That adorable, high energy puppy grew up into a cuddly, adorable, high energy 87 pound(!) dog who needs daily long walks to be a well behaved member of our family.
    But, despite the daily dog walking; my high stress sedentary job was allowing me to continue to rationalize my stress eating. Not to mention that a lipid panel test revealed I had dangerously high triglycerides, low HDL and high LDL.
    That's when I did something radical. I took this 5'2" (if I stretch), morbidly obese (per the Dr's chart - not that I'd EVER own up to that description) 53 year old body with bad knees, and joined the local YMCA. The first classes I tried were the water aerobics. (Congratulations to all you brave souls who are willing to take before pics in your bathing suits!) When I could do that without too much pain, I tried yoga, pilates, water tabata, and step classes.
    Now, after a year of working out - and going down 2 sizes, but not really losing weight - I'm adding into the mix this site to try and learn healthier eating habits and portion control.
    So now when those candy machines are calling my name - I look at all the wonderful, positive posts on this site and get motivated, again.
    Hope you can, too!
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Walking on a treadmill. 30 Day Shred. Jumping Jacks. Squats.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I too am having some difficulty with exercise.

I have a BMI of 41, which puts me in the morbidly obese category. I have half a century experience as a couch potato and have lost a great deal of muscle mass in the past 18 months due to other health issues. Now, I am ready to get my life back!

I started out with a pedometer. I wore it for several days and just went about my usual routine to get an idea of how many steps I walked in a normal day. (almost nothing) Then I gave myself a goal of more steps and did that for a week, upped my goal, then two weeks later upped it again. Same thing two weeks after that.

I also purchased a set of resistance bands (tubes) and started using them a few days ago. Again, I'm going really slow (itsy bitsy teeny tiny baby steps). I started with two exercises, doing just sets of 8. Next week I'll add one more exercise.

I hope to add some planks soon. Not sure if I'll be able to do one, but I figure the work it takes to get down on the floor and get myself back up will worth the effort. These days, I have a tough time getting up.

Give these videos a watch. These are exercises by workout hero, Rob Gralau. I found them while searching for "exercise for morbidly obese" on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBNYgsR_LTA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zIeLYy2Zts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxXdjAbqJp4

Also, I wanted to add that I'm trying to walk in place whenever I can. My pooch thinks I'm crazy because I walk in place as I brush my teeth and cook. And he thinks I'm insane when I walk up and down the hall, back and forth, back and forth, back adn forth going nowhere. But it works.
  • janecl
    janecl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am in my 50s and have arthritis which makes it hard at times. I do water aerobics and it is the best for our joints. If you do the swimming, drink the water and follow the logging and limits that MFP makes for you, you will definately see results. Then as you lose more, you can keep adding things that will make it more of a variety. You can always try something new and see if it hurts your joints. Let your body help you decide if that exercise is for you as you go along. You CAN do this! Good luck!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Congratulations on all the Steps (Strokes!) you have made already. You have gotten LOTS of Great Advice here.
    I started with Leslie Sansone Videos, and Curves. Later I added Walking when the Pain allowed it. I would have LOVED to do Water Aerobics but there is not an affordable Pool near me.
    If you enjoyed Curves, I would look into their New Curves Complete Program. I don't know much about it personally (My Curves closed in December) but I know several MFP Ladies are doing Curves. The main thing is to find an Activity/Exercise that you ENJOY. Whether it burns a ton of Calories or is a "Recommended" Exercise at this or that Gym is kind of irrelevant, in my opinion. The MOST Important thing is that YOU Enjoy It, and YOU Want to do it every day.
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the creative, honest, and encouraging suggestions so far -- I really do appreciate it!
  • kanncm
    kanncm Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest finding a partner to walk with, maybe someone mentioned this already. Walking with a friend makes walking not so boring. Of course, I agree with water aerobics too.
  • holdingon2faith793
    Options
    I think 30 day shred would be a good one. It's what I started today.
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    Aqua aerobics is fab and fun.. You can get ladies only sessions also ;-)