Double check

Options
My scale lies to me everytime I get on it. Not to say that I'm being unrealistic thinking I lost more when I haven't. It literally lies to me. I get on it & it tells me 1 thing. I get off it then back on. It tells me something else. I get on it a 3rd time to comfirm it. Does anyone else's scale do this? Or is my scale possessed?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    is it a digital scale? Is it on a hard surface? Are you standing still? If it is digital, are you letting it zero itself before you get on?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I bought a new scale when it starting doing that and it is now rock steady.

Alternative hypothesis: is the scale on completely stable, solid surface?
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The first time I get on mine, it tells me what I weighted the last time, then the second time is the actual weight. Maybe yours does this also? I do mine a third time every time, just to make sure. Also make sure you are on solid and even floor surface. If you are weighing yourself everyday, you have to be aware of the natural flux your body will do, I just do once a week weigh in, first thing in the morning.
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    Options
    is it a digital scale? Is it on a hard surface? Are you standing still? If it is digital, are you letting it zero itself before you get on?

Yes, it's digital. Yes, it's on the bathrooms hardwood. Yes, I stand still. Yes, I let it zero out.
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    Options
    I bought a new scale when it starting doing that and it is now rock steady.

Alternative hypothesis: is the scale on completely stable, solid surface?

It is a new scale. I just had it for a few months. Yes, its on a hard surface.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    I have a weight watchers scale that measures bf%, BMI, etc.... It's often wrong too. Sometimes, the first measurement it shows is three to four lbs off! It's always a great idea to take three measurements and take the average for a more accurate measurement. Plus always measure at the same spot, during the same time of day ie: in bathroom directly in front of sink at 6 am immediately after morning potty break :)
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    Options
    The first time I get on mine, it tells me what I weighted the last time, then the second time is the actual weight. Maybe yours does this also? I do mine a third time every time, just to make sure. Also make sure you are on solid and even floor surface. If you are weighing yourself everyday, you have to be aware of the natural flux your body will do, I just do once a week weigh in, first thing in the morning.

No, my scale isn't doing that. It actually tells me a higher weight of about 3 lbs sometimes. I weigh myself every other day, first thing in the morning. I do take in account the normal flucuations of my body. I just don't get it.
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    Options
    I have a weight watchers scale that measures bf%, BMI, etc.... It's often wrong too. Sometimes, the first measurement it shows is three to four lbs off! It's always a great idea to take three measurements and take the average for a more accurate measurement. Plus always measure at the same spot, during the same time of day ie: in bathroom directly in front of sink at 6 am immediately after morning potty break :)

yes, my scale does that. 3 or 4 lbs heavier. I do weigh myself at the same time roughly 6:30 am in front of the closed bathroom door, naked. LOL :)
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Faulty scale.
  • jgrode1984
    Options

yes, my scale does that. 3 or 4 lbs heavier. I do weigh myself at the same time roughly 6:30 am in front of the closed bathroom door, naked. LOL :)

I'm contemplating purchasing an old school scale (not digital) and body fat calipers to make sure my readings are accurate. Can't trust computers ;)
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    No, scale isn't faulty, just overly sensitive....
  • GauchoMark
    Options

Yes, it's digital. Yes, it's on the bathrooms hardwood. Yes, I stand still. Yes, I let it zero out.

I agree with DanaDark. Faulty scale. A digital scale should not be that far off given the answers you gave. Mine is usually within 0.2 lbs on consecutive measurements.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    I'm contemplating purchasing an old school scale (not digital) and body fat calipers to make sure my readings are accurate. Can't trust computers ;)

Unless you are going to a balance (like the doctors office) going to a spring type scale would be... backwards!
  • mandakins79
    Options
    My scale has been doing that lately. Today the second time I got on was 1.8 pounds higher than the first time (and stayed that way the third and fourth time I jumped on). I feel your pain. But I noticed this earlier this month, so I always check my weight at least 3 times. And so long as the 2nd and 3rd number are the same, I figure that is more accurate.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    My suggestion, and something I have started doing, is start weighing yourself on a scale less often, and take body measurements once every week or two. That is the ultimate deciding factor on wether or not your loosing. Especially if your doing cardio and lifting. Muscle weighs more than fat. Scales don't know that....
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    if you take 3 measurements and 2 match and one doesn't, I'd probably throw out the one that doesn't. Especially if it is always the first measurement. Maybe the scale needs to "warm up" a little.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Carpet used to do that to my digital scale. Try a hard surface.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My scale does this also. I am also on a hard surface, let it zero out, stand still, etc. Mine can swing up to a pound and a half difference. Typically, I'll weigh myself 3-5 times, waiting a few minutes between each time, then average the amounts I got. I figure that's really close enough to accurate.

I have noticed that mine can be off depending on exactly where I put my feet on the scale. I've drawn little lines on mine where I put my heels to try and keep that accurate. It helps a little, but it's still off a lot.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options

I agree with DanaDark. Faulty scale. A digital scale should not be that far off given the answers you gave. Mine is usually within 0.2 lbs on consecutive measurements.

I agree as well. Mine is somethings off by 0.2 lbs. I do sometimes put my 25lb kettlebell on it to make sure it's accurate and it reads 25! Try that if you can.