New (Old) Shoes causing strained calf muscles?

Options
My running shoes wore out so I broke out a new pair. Same shoe, same year, same color, everything. I wore them on a 6.5 mile run and my calf muscles were VERY sore for several days afterwards. I've never had that issue before. Any idea why that would be? My feet, knees and shins didn't bother me at all (my knees were really bothering me the last run with my worn out shoes).

I seem to struggling with my running lately, but this was a new issue. Thoughts on why?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Because wearing down your shoe will change your stride. I have similar problems when I am first breaking in new shoes even if they are the same kind I normally wear. You've been running with less support for X number of weeks or months..........so your gait is adjusted to that. All of the sudden you completely change your support, it might be a noticeable difference for a few runs while you break them in.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Because wearing down your shoe will change your stride. I have similar problems when I am first breaking in new shoes even if they are the same kind I normally wear. You've been running with less support for X number of weeks or months..........so your gait is adjusted to that. All of the sudden you completely change your support, it might be a noticeable difference for a few runs while you break them in.

thanks. I was wondering if that was the case!
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    yep...i totally agree with answer from above. happens to me every time i run in different shoes...changes my gait, which uses slightly different muscles. hurts!!!
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just started a new pair, different brand (Asics) because my toes were cramped in my beloved Brooks. I was amazed by how different they felt in terms of my gait and stride. I think they will work, just an adjustment.