Cabbage Soup Diet..

Options

Replies

• JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit is going to have a much higher success than any fad. Always.

This.
  • Loricaminiti
    Options
    I have done this diet several times, each time losing about 12 lbs. However, as soon as I go back to eating "normally" I gain it all back, plus. It's good if you need to look good, or fit in an outfit for a special occasion, but it's very temporary.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    No just no :grumble: :noway: That is all
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    I actually jumpstarted my whole "eat better idiot" with something that sorta resembled the CSD.

My way was lots of soup, fruit, veggies, and chicken, which I also calorie counted.

I worked out, too

It was great for breaking my candy / sugar cravings, and I lost around three pounds...mostly water :) But as a mental trick, worked well. I liked the soup! And added Lauries seasoning salt for a flavor change.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    There's only one thing I hate more than fad diets.

And that's cabbage.

This just seems like the WORST idea in the world.

Well put!
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I make the soup often, but don't LIVE on it. I kinda use it as my veggie or salad type side.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    A brothy veggie soup is a great start to a meal but you won't get the nutrients you need with such a limited diet. In weeks that I make a big pot of soup and eat it for lunch I do tend to lose weight. It keeps me full and if you make your own you control the sodium.
  • Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My aunt tried this for a few months and lost about 40 lbs!! She said that she really enjoyed it! (as much as you can enjoy cabbage soup haha!) but she struggled with keeping the weight off when she returned to a regular diet. So I would say it is probably worth a try if it is something that you are interested in, but make sure that you are maintaining all of the other things you are doing now during, and after, the cabbage soup diet!
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    does the soup have meat and potatoes in it? is the cabbage a garnish? so many questions left unanswered...
  • Zommbunny
    Options
    my mum tried it (not a good idea with IBS) she lost a couple of pounds but put on more when she came off cos she was starving lol
    xx:noway:
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I gave up after 1 day cause I thought the soup was disgusting. My mom did the whole thing, lost 9 lbs, and then went back to her old eating ways. Not sure why she even did it in the first place.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    why eat nothing but cabbage soup, when you can lose weight while eating what you want (including cabbage soup if you really like it), simply by eating less than you burn off and including enough healthy foods to nourish your body properly

see the "in place of a road map" thread, it explains how to calculate how many calories you need to eat for slow, steady fat loss without feeling deprived or damaging your health or slowing your metabolism.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HELL YEAH!, i have done it quite a few times, it WORKS!
  • witchieboo
    witchieboo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and lost weight, but when I went off it I gained all the weight back. I think cabbage soup is good along side other foods. By itself you are not getting enough of what your body needs. Fad diets work only short term but in the longer run you have to eat less and less to lose weight.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hope you have a lot of toilet paper handy if that's all you are eating....

Although, eating less and moving more seems like a better way to lose the weight..and it isn't something you give up and gain the pounds back :) BONUS!
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The cabbage soup diet is one of the many fad diets I have tried in the past. It left me starving. The soup is disgusting. Sure, you lose weight, water weight. But I quit after 3 days. Would never ever ever do that or any other fad diet again!

Eating at a calorie deficit and regular exercise has been the only thing that has worked and kept the weight off! Been in maintenance over 6 months :happy:
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I left in too much cabbage and got fat

Me too, or maybe it was the way I supplemented it with super-sized meals from McDonalds, no it was the too much cabbage.,
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cabbage and eat it regularly - as a side dish with lots of other foods. I would never recommend anyone eat just cabbage soup to lose weight.

The whole reason the cabbage soup diet (along with the Special K diet, grapefruit diet, and other gimmicky diets) work in the temporary is that they give you a very large calorie deficit along with some weight loss from water weight. That combination will give you quick results, but they won't last. They're not what many on this forum would consider "real" weight loss. That's because water weight returns quickly, and weight dropped rapidly from eating a very restricted diet is easily regained when you start eating the way you used to.

I'd recommend you take the basic principle behind the diet (calorie deficit - burn more than you consume) and apply it in a reasonable way. Learn your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and subtract 10-20% from that to figure out what you should be eating every day to lose weight. That method will give you sustainable results.

Good luck!
  • kayls__
    Options
    Although this may not be the healthiest alternative to eating healthy and exercising, the reality is it won't kill you, and if done properly you aren't lacking that much except maybe protein for the first 4 days, and vegetarians go their whole lives without meat. SO I am on day 6 of the cabbage soup diet and I am down 6 lbs. I started this diet not false hoping for long term effects, but short ones are fine because I am going to Mexico in 10 days and would like to fit into old bathing suites. I also have had small cheats along the way (ex: 1 tbsp of raspberry vinaigrette with my salads on days 2 and 6, spices on my chicken for day 5, and added probably more chicken broth to my soup then I should.) Even so, a pound a day is pretty good and I will take it! On top of the weight loss, my favourite result is that this diet has put my cravings in check. I have now learned to only eat when hungry(as I am a HUGE in between snacker, usually unhealthy) also I find I am rarely hungry anymore. My advice is to go for it! and GOOD LUCK :)
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    There's only one thing I hate more than fad diets.

And that's cabbage.

This just seems like the WORST idea in the world.

Isn't this the point of it? It's so revolting and boring you lose weight because you simply can't consume enough of it to stop losing weight.

OP, just eat at a deficit. No cabbage required, and it actually works.