Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Metabolism vs back problems = not losing it

Right, here goes. I have been the queen of dieting since I was a kid (my mum had me permanently on a diet from a very tender age). I have lost, gained, lost, gained and am fighting what seems like a losing battle. I was very active as a kid, sports, ballet and never kept still and was raised on fresh veg and road kill (my dad was a HGV driver and brought home his casualties). BUT, I was always solid, slightly chunky, muscley but with a light covering of fat. No matter how much exercise, I could and don't never lose that fat. I am at a difficut stage now where I have been diagnosed with 2 bulging discs in my back (where else?) and cannot do hard impact exercise as this affects my hips and walking but I do play table tennis for half an hour a day and swim twice a week. What with doing my utmost to stick to the 1200 calories a day, I am finding it hard to eat that much without resorting to a takeaway curry or a doughnut just to top up my intake which will soon get rid of the calories - slight exaggeration but you know what I mean! After 4 weeks of calorie counting, checking I am getting the nutrients I require, doing exercise that I can physically cope with I have only lost 2 lbs and to be honest, my scales aren't that clear and had to take a bit of a guess at that. Now, I don't want to sound like a sickly runt but eating too much fruit irritates my bowel too much and I can't bear the pain associated with that so I avoid it. I love salads and veg. The one thing though that keeps me going are those lovely carbs. Without the carbs I am hungry soon after a meal without any in, I get cold to the core, even in summer and cannot do without them but thats where the calories lie. My metabolism is shot and always has been but mentally I am finding it all too emotionally consuming. With all of this however, I am determined to lose weight, again, have every intention to, again but have body issues that are impeding me. Help me obi one......

Replies

• Wow. It took me ages to write that. I would have hoped someone would have said something.....:(
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Have you tried physical therapy? It did wonders for disc problems in my back, they gave me a routine to strengthen my core that is more gentle on the back than many traditional core exercises. That plus losing 20 lbs has reduced my pain a LOT and gotten me off muscle relaxers.

Biking and yoga are also great low impact exercises that can help. Good luck!
  • andreamarieroberts
    andreamarieroberts Posts: 34 Member
    I, too have metabolism issues (underactive thyroid) and 2 herniated discs, one of which was surgically addressed in 2007. Stick with the veg and protien, and DO eat carbs - you need them. Just make sure they are whole and clean. Start walking as briskly as you can and do it as often as you can. You will notice a great reduction in the pain when you lose a little. Also take time for gentle core exercises, get some physical therapy exercises that you can do on your own. Forgive yourself and move on if you make a bad choice, beating yourself up only perpetuates the cycle of poor choices, bad moods. I have been obese all of my life and also have body image issues. I am FINALLY starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, with self-awareness and having compassion and a gentle attitude toward myself. You can do it! Be patient and add me as a friend if you like :)
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    First your food intake: I realize that you are in physical pain, but try to eat those 1200 (or more). You have already admitted to having a messed up metabolism, perhaps that is where you should start. Fix your metabolism and address any eating disorder you feel you might have from dieting as a child to how you feel as an adult. The exercise can come later, just work on one problem at a time. Are you having your back fixed (is it fixable?), work on that after you get your food in order.
  • Thought I would revisit myfitnesspal and for the past 3 weeks I have been eating my calories, exercising, eating more healthy if not rabbit food options and have lost......absolutely bugger all. My metabolism must be completely shot. Feeling very despondent today and have lost my enthusiasm.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Wow. It took me ages to write that. I would have hoped someone would have said something.....:(

It took me even longer to read it....
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    2lb in 4 weeks is a good sensible loss...so, well done - keep it up.

Can't really help with the exercise question as I don't know anything about back problems but it might be worth asking your doctor if dead lifts (starting very light, with proper form) would be beneficial or detrimental (I have 0 back pain after doing these for months (but mine was not injured just wear and tear)).

As to having a takeaway, why not? Just be sensible about it. If I have Chinese or Indian now, I have a very small portion with a huge salad and actually enjoy it a lot more.

ETA: duh, just realised there is a year between posts - at least you haven't gained :)