First Half Marathon

Options

Replies

• hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hey there...I just signed up to start training for my first 1/2 Marathon...training starts tonight the race is the Flower City marathon April 28th. I still don't consider myself a runner, up until recently it's been a chore, never something I've enjoyed. I just wish it was a litle warmer running in the single digit with fresh snow is a challenge. Geesh I'll be the ol' lady of the group.
  • n0bail02
    n0bail02 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am running my first on April 27th. I am running 4 days a week (Tuesday/Thursday - 4 miles, Saturday-long run and Sunday a short one like 2-3 miles). I am also doing some weight training the other days. I am both nervous and excited :) I would love to have running bodies!!
  • BRFMcKay
    BRFMcKay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half on April 28 in DC (Nike Women's). I would LOVE new runner friends! ADD, ADD!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Not my first, but I'm also running a 1/2 on 3/16 :)

Feel free to add me!

And that person wanting to run the 1/2 at Grandmas, that will be my first FULL marathon! yIKES... if you go, cheer me on at the end, LOL
  • n0bail02
    n0bail02 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good goal! I ran my first half on on 11/3 and have another scheduled 4/29/13. Finding I'm loving it! I'm also still new-ish to running having only been doing it for about six months. We have something called the Triple Crown of Running here in Louisville I signed up for. It is a March 5k, May 10k and April 10miler. I think you'll enjoy the half marathon. It was difficult, but worth it to complete.

Hello Louisvillian :) will you be running the Derby half marathon on April 27th? I signed up for that half marathon!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I am training for one on 2/24. Hyannis Half (Boston area)

Tuesday - 3 miles
    Thursday - 6 miles
    Saturday - 8+

I also cross-train M-W-S
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Hey why not? I have signed up for 2 half marathons previously....and never made the starting grid in both of them. If you want the full story you can look in my blog. However, I'm hoping 3rd time is a charm. I have a half marathon circled for 5/4. Right now I'm training for 10 mile trail race on 2/17. I am not light or fast, but that just adds to the challenge. I do 2 medium range runs during the week, and a longer run on the weekends. On the days I'm not running I lift weights.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Ran 2 half marathons and 1 full last year. Ran the Phoenix half last weekend. I have 5 more half's, a full and a half Ironman scheduled this year. Always looking for more running friends. Feel free to add.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first Half on 21st April, and surprising myself. After 44 years as a dedicated non-runner I caught the bug rather badly last July, and still haven't recovered :bigsmile: . I am also the world's slowest runner:laugh:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hey there...I just signed up to start training for my first 1/2 Marathon...training starts tonight the race is the Flower City marathon April 28th. I still don't consider myself a runner, up until recently it's been a chore, never something I've enjoyed. I just wish it was a litle warmer running in the single digit with fresh snow is a challenge. Geesh I'll be the ol' lady of the group.

Ohhh but you ARE a runner. and you are going to crush your half marathon just like all these other awesome runners :-)
  • bluefox9er
    Options
    I have ran several halfs as 'training' runs, but never entered an event. in fact, I have never ever entered any event, my first will be the toronto full marathon in may this year..a year to the day i started c25k and went from being out of shape and over weight into a runner :-) running friends always welcome!
  • bluefox9er
    Options
    Ran 2 half marathons and 1 full last year. Ran the Phoenix half last weekend. I have 5 more half's, a full and a half Ironman scheduled this year. Always looking for more running friends. Feel free to add.

seriously..add this guy..one of the most amazing runners I have ever come across ^^ ^^
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Trying to work up to a half-marathon now. I am kind of between 5K and 10k right now. Could probably do a 10K if I put my mind to it. There is the Santa Rosa Marathon/Half-Marathon in August 2013 that I was thinking of signing up for. Once I can run 10 miles, then I will sign up.

Feel free to add me.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yep! Just picked "the one" today, it's Oct 6th. I've got other races (including a sprint triathlon) planned before that and am looking forward to the coming season. See my pic? That my frozen hair from this morning's run in 1 degree weather. Bring on the training!
  • birdforbeans
    birdforbeans Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did my first in October, and was definitely undertrained. I had only done 1 run over 8 miles and it was several weeks before. I finished in 2:44, but had knee pain because of it. I am going to try again for the Salt Lake City Half, and be more consistent, but since I'm trying to take care of my knee, I am nearly starting from scratch. I have not run more than 3 miles at once since October.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first Half on 21st April, and surprising myself. After 44 years as a dedicated non-runner I caught the bug rather badly last July, and still haven't recovered :bigsmile: . I am also the world's slowest runner:laugh:

I had also always considered myself a "non-runner" until last July! I ran my first 5K on July 14th (Komen for the Cure in Aspen), and haven't stopped running since!!!

And like you I am fairly slow. I typically run at about a 10 min/mile pace. If I'm on the treadmill I can sometimes push myself to a 9:00 min/mile tops, but it's rough. That is why I started going for distance!!!
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options

seriously..add this guy..one of the most amazing runners I have ever come across ^^ ^^

You are waaaay too kind my friend!
  • Imeojeda
    Imeojeda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! Anyone running their first half marathon this Spring? I'm training for the NWM on April in D.C!! ADD ME! :)
  • rjh1975
    rjh1975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am running my first half marathon on May 26th :happy: I'm also training for a Mud Hero and a Spartan race this summer. I'm sure I'm in way over my head :laugh:
  • shanse21
    Options
    Hello! Anyone running their first half marathon this Spring? I'm training for the NWM on April in D.C!! ADD ME! :)

I'm running that race, too! It'll be my third half... second half is coming up in just FOUR weeks. eeeeeep