I'm at the halfway mark already!

atouchet
atouchet Posts: 24
edited September 20 in Success Stories
As of this morning it's been two months since I've started my new lifestyle. I would have never imagined that I'd already be halfway to reaching my goal (I started at 270, want to get to 199). It's seems crazy, but it's not. Who would have thought that it doesn't take gimmicky diets, pills, supplements and shakes to lose weight. All it takes is a little accountability and data recording.

I hope someone who is just starting out reads this. This stuff really works. I'm proof.

Here's how my life has changed so far (remember, this is just two months in):

I eat three well-balanced meals a day. I used to eat one or two fast-food/junk meals a day

I take in 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day. I used to take in 3,000 to 5,000 calories a day

I have a new sense of control. I was able to quit drinking and smoking as well. I have a patience that I've never had before.

I have a lot more energy. I actually jog 5 days a week! Before I could go 2 days without leaving the house...

Overall I'm just a happier person.

It wasn't that hard to get here, a lot of my struggle was just overcoming mental obstacles. That's pretty much the hardest part.

Replies

• Great inspirational story! You are doing a fabulous job! Keep it going and let us know when you reach the end.
  • Good for you!! Congratulations. Thank you for sharing!!
  • ReneDavidson
    ReneDavidson Posts: 86 Member
    WOW!!! All your hard work is paying off quickly! What a great thing! AND you stopped smoking and drinking, whew, what an added bonus to this whole journey of getting ourselves back to healthy bodies. Keep it up. And yes, I hope other "newbies" read this...it is great motivation!
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Congratulations on your success so far!! I have also been making great progress and cannot believe how much better I feel and how much energy I have. It is amazing that it is not gimmicks at all, but the simple process of keeping track of what we are eating and what we are putting out in energy! Good luck in reaching your goal!! :smile:
  • Brittany_Kayy
    Brittany_Kayy Posts: 262 Member
    Way to go!! That is truly awesome!!!!

It's amazing how a few little changes can turn your life around for the better and boy it does feel good!!

Congratulation's on reaching your half way mark and may you reach your goal in no time!

-Brittany Kay*
    :flowerforyou:
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Congrats! That's very inspiring! Keep up the good work!!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    I take in 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day. I used to take in 3,000 to 5,000 calories a day

Congrats to you, especially on giving up the drinking and smoking. Now I don't mean to take anything away from you, but you're a guy eating 1200-1500 calories a day? You really ought to consider upping your calories to 1500+ a day. The 1200 calorie minimum threshold is for women and it's 1500 calories a day for men. You might be losing weight at a good rate, but you're really not doing your body any good if you keep depriving it. Just something to consider if you want to get even healthier and maintain your goal weight once you get there.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Thanks for motivating others!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member

Congrats to you, especially on giving up the drinking and smoking. Now I don't mean to take anything away from you, but you're a guy eating 1200-1500 calories a day? You really ought to consider upping your calories to 1500+ a day. The 1200 calorie minimum threshold is for women and it's 1500 calories a day for men. You might be losing weight at a good rate, but you're really not doing your body any good if you keep depriving it. Just something to consider if you want to get even healthier and maintain your goal weight once you get there.

I agree, both congrats and that you should up your calories.
  • Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    "Who would have thought that it doesn't take gimmicky diets, pills, supplements and shakes to lose weight. All it takes is a little accountability and data recording. " I LOVE THIS!!! I have been amazed at how easy I have found it this way of "living" to be!!! Thanks for sharing your story...Keep us informed!! :happy:
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    That is fantastic!! You've done a wonderful thing for yourself, and I have no doubt that will continue :)
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Congratulations!!
  • enromero
    enromero Posts: 104
    way to go!!! keep up the good work!
  • atouchet
    atouchet Posts: 24

You're both very correct. I re-adjusted my profile this morning and it upped my calories to around 1,800. I have a really hard time making my calories for the day without going over in the Protein or Carb department though. Anybody else have this trouble?
  • sphinctress
    sphinctress Posts: 202 Member
    I have never not gone over in protein! : )
    I know you can adjust your %ages under your goals section if you want.
    Some people like the 40% carbs 30% protein, 30%fats... Other say, 50-30-20,...
    Up to you!
    : )
    GREAT JOB!!!
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    I have the same issue....I'm over in one or the other. Mostly it seems to be protein though so I actually went into the settings and upped my protein and lower my carbs. (Each by just 5%) It seems to be working ok and I'm consistantly losing weight every week. It might be an idea!
  • stephlw
    stephlw Posts: 18 Member
    Thank you so very much for sharing. And your right. It just takes a little bit of accountability and recording to get where you need to be. Anyone can do it! Your health will be better for it too!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    You're both very correct. I re-adjusted my profile this morning and it upped my calories to around 1,800. I have a really hard time making my calories for the day without going over in the Protein or Carb department though. Anybody else have this trouble?

I changed my protein goals because what MFP automatically gives isn't right for everyone. :smile: I take in 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat.
    If I'm too low on calories and on tummy space at the same time, I LOVE natural peanut butter. 2 tbs of it for 190 calories. Milk is another healthy calorie option for those days you just don't think you're going to be able to squeeze enough in.

I started at 270 and I recently hit a big plateau. Stuck for 3 weeks. I started eating more (I went from eating essentially no exercise cals to eating about 50% of them -- and I exercise a lot) and 2 weeks later, like magic, I started losing weight again.
    So, if your loss slows down or stops, don't get discouraged, just keep digging around to find what works for you and is somethign that will be healthy long term. :smile:

Congratulations on your success so far! You're amazing!
  • nebulas
    nebulas Posts: 49 Member
    great story, thank you for sharing
  • ErinSarah12
    ErinSarah12 Posts: 16 Member

I have that problem! I've tried several different diet plans over the past few years, and what works best for me is limiting carbs and sugars. I still eat both, but I try and get my sugars from whole fruit and my carbs from "non-delicious carbs" :laugh: like veggies. I find that if I stay under my carbs and sugar, I'm usually under calories. It's a tough balancing act.
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!