Going Gluten free

Options
I'm going to try going gluten free, I'm looking for any suggestions or advice, since, from what I can tell, it's a real pain in the butt.

Also, while we're at it, has anyone had any luck with the gluten free diet getting rid of acne? The reason I'm doing this is because of persistent acne that I've had for ten years that I thought I would grow out of by now. Someone suggested that it might be a gluten allergy, so I'm going to try that out because I feel like I've tried just about everything else.

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Gluten is giving you face acne?
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Gluten is giving you face acne?

I'm told it's possible. We will see. I'm going to do this long enough to determine whether that's it, and if it doesn't help I'm going back to regular eating. I figure it's worth a try at least.
  • sethysgirl
    Options
    Gluten can cause many different health problems. I have a gluten intolerance and going off gluten stabilized my moods, got rid of my excema, I now have a migraine once a month (if that) instead of 2 a week, regulated my stomach issues...etc. It is great if the good results out ways the bad. I wouldn't do it to lose weight. It is more difficult than most people realize, once you decide to test, don't eat ANY gluten for the month. My best idea would be to eat rice, quinoa, potatoes instead of breads and pasta. The gluten free breads and pasta don't have some of the needed nutrients, so it is best to just eat veggies, fruits, rice, beans, potatoes, quinoa and the regular meats. Checking ingredients on everything is the biggest problem. Read the ingredients on everything, condiments, bacon and sausage, canned foods, etc, you will be surprised by what does contain gluten. Good luck!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I can't claim to be gluten free, but after I got rid of wheat in my diet I saw a good improvement.
  • tamikia87
    tamikia87 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat gluten free to try and loose weight, acne maybe? I have celiac diease and it has helped me out greatly eating properly with the gluten free items. However their usually higher in calories and fat content!!! If you haven't started yet you can always go to your doctor and be checked through blood work for celiac (Gluten intolerance)....