Morning Exercise

Options
I need help. I want so badly to get up in the morning and workout. Working out after work takes precious time away from my kids. Every day around this time I say to myself "Tomorrow is the day! I am going to get my butt up and work out." Well 5:30 comes around the next day I can't (okay won't) get out of bed. That last 30-45 minutes of sleep seems more important. I am so exhausted.

I know there are many people out there that started out this way. How did you do it? What made it click? I know the common answer is "Just do it". I say that to myself, but ugh.. I don't "Do it".

Please suggestions???

Replies

• rougecrayon
    Options
    I leave my house very cold at night, and drink lots of water. When I wake up to pee, it's so cold I need to throw on some clothes, and in the bathroom I do a word puzzle or sudoku.

By this time I am awake...motivated to work out is another problem, but I'm awake!
  • mkookies
    mkookies Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sleep is definitely important in being healthy, too! If you're not getting your 7-8 hours of sleep every night, then going to the gym probably isn't going to be very fun at all.

My only suggestion is to make sure you go to bed every night at a half decent time - get your rest, and once 5:30am comes and you've got yourself some good sleep, push yourself to get out of bed. Don't take no for an answer, and don't make excuses. Have something small to eat to get you going, drink some water, and get your butt out the door - you could even try working out at home if need be. Think of your kiddies - do it for them - I'm sure they want a healthy mama that's going to be around for a long long time!

I know you can do it. :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person. I work out after work.

If you really want to try to work out in the morning you could always try:
    - Laying out your work out clothes and shoes the night before.
    - Setting your alarm clock across the room so that you have to get up to turn it off.
    - Sleep in your work out clothes.
    - Just do it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    When it becomes important to you, you'll make it happen. Right now, the sleep is more important. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, good or bad, it's just where you are right now.
  • icgirl
    icgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's tough but the more you do it, the easier it gets!! I'm in the same situation as you - I choose the morning so I don't take time away from my kids in the evening hours. I wake up at 5:20am, all my stuff is packed the night before (clothes & lunch), take the dog out and I'm usually on the treadmill at 5:50. No later than 6am. And exercise on the treadmill for 45 min and I usually burn 500 calories (HRM). I do go to bed early - not much later than 9p. My goal is to exercise 6 days a week - it's usally 4 days. At my gym, I rent a locker with towel service so I keep all my shower stuff there which helps not lugging it to/from the house. You can do it!! Good Luck!
  • highflyer88
    highflyer88 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Is here any flexibilty in the wake up time? Can you get a 30 min workout in at say 6 versus 530 and still have the time to get the family and yourself ready for the day? This may help if you can make the wakeup call later. When I did this I would set the alarm for 630 and gave myself at least a half hour of me time to workout before waking the kids up to get them ready for school. It was hard at first since I work afternoons and do not get home until about 1115pm. There were days when I wanted to sleep in because I didn't get enough sleep but once I got going it made it worth it. Plus due to my hours and the kids school hours I had a chance to take a nap if needed while they were at school. Now I have worked out that I can drop my youngest at preschool then my oldest at Kindergarten then have almost an hour and half to work out before picking up my youngest. I'm not sure your schedule but see if you have any flexibility and maybe it won't be as bad. Or shorten your morning routime and do something as a family in the evening to finish your burn! Hope this helps!
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    I totally understand! I just started going of a morning before work - I count it as ME time. I am not taking away from anyone...kiddos..work..etc. Let me say, getting up at 5am isn't fun as I am not a morning person - BUT this is the only time I can really focus on myself and let me tell you - YOU will feel so much better once you start and make the committment. I go 4 mornings a week. Give it 3 weeks - it will become a habit. GOOD LUCK :smile:
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Get everything, absolutely everything ready the night before so you have no excuses or opportunities to not go when you wakeup. Put your alarm clock across the room if you have to. Find someone to keep you accountable - for me, I had a 50% or less success rate when I was doing it on my own, but now that I am meeting someone at the gym, I've made it over 95% of the time.

Also, it gets easier. :)
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    different strokes for different folks. I am a morning person too, but I just can't bring myself to exercise that early (mostly like cuz my morning routine/commute is stressful enough already...I don't need to add less sleep and more tension)...so I've been going at night and (as a side benefit) its helped me not watch TV (and snack), and has also has helped me get to sleep. I think there is not much if any research saying night exercise vs morning is better ... just do what you can do - leave the rest up to nature/god/luck/life!
  • BrittanyAnnL
    Options
    You sound like me! "Tomorrow, I WILL get up and exercise!" & then 6:00 am rolls around and I hit the snooze button. SOOOO, how I solved that is started working out at night. Once I get home from work, spend a few minutes with my son..I go run or workout. Some people are just not morning people and evenings workout better. I have been working out everyday for the last 2 weeks and I feel SO much better. I dont think about the workout of over analyze it.. I just put on my tennis shoes and go do it. The more you think about it the harder it becomes... :)
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    When it becomes important to you, you'll make it happen. Right now, the sleep is more important. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, good or bad, it's just where you are right now.

This! I wasn't ready to do it last fall and I tried to work out later in the day. Wasn't effective. I found it easier to put it off. When i got back to working out in January, I said I have to do it. I try to be in bed between 10 & 11 and I'm up at 7. Yes that's later than 530 but it's what works for my schedule.
  • ricklperry
    Options
    I work out in the morning because I know if I wait until after work I am more likely to blow it off. I don't have trouble as long as I go to bed early. In the beginning making myself go to bed early was no fun but I adjusted after awhile.
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30, leave the house at 6. Something I have observed over the years is that when you are in bed, you don't want to get up. BUT, once you are up for about 5 minutes, it's all fine, you are awake and ready to roll. Some have mentioned getting all your stuff laid out the night before, that's a good idea. Give yourself a little momentum building mantra, something like "all right, one, two, I'M UP!", then just get the hell out of bed straight up with no hesitation. Really it's a habit. Good luck.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you ever do it just once, you'll see how much energy you have afterwards and how much better your day will flow! That was enough to push me to keep it up. But make sure you are getting anough sleep too!
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to work out in the morning before work, but ultimately stopped because my schedule changed. When I was still doing this, I would sleep in yoga pants, a t-shirt, and a sports bra. When my alarm went off, all I needed to do was add socks, sneakers, deodorant, and a sweatshirt. I would brush my teeth, make a cup of coffee or tea in my Keurig, and leave. I packed my shower stuff and work clothes the night before, so I could just take it with me and drink my coffee on the way in. Made the whole process relatively painless, since I pretty much didn't need to think at all. Hope the tips help!
  • iMHoTeP70
    iMHoTeP70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought about recruiting the kids to help you lose weight?
    Maybe even taking a family walk in the evening before homework?
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no magic answer... you just do it. Treat it like work or any other important appointment. Most would not skip work because they did not feel like getting out of bed;-). After a week or so you will realize how much more energy you have.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I have tried and tried and tried to get my sleepy *kitten* outta bed in the morning before work but I just can't make it a habit. I will say that the few days I did get up and work out I felt great throughout the day. Sadly, that wasn't enough to make me continue to do it. I :heart: sleep.

I also know I won't work out after work. So that leaves one time: lunch. That seems to be the best for me at this time.

There is no right or wrong time, as long as you're doing it!
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Not going to lie, it was difficult to get into the routine, but now my mornings don't feel right if I have not gotten at least a short run done.

I started out struggling, so I would make sure I had everything ready to go the night before, get up, go to washroom, get dressed, leash the dogs and I head out the door (I can't eat before I go). The one main thing that helped for me was instead of trying for long hardcore workouts right off the bat I focused on getting out for at least 20 mins, once I was just used to getting up I gradually increased the time. I still have days where I struggle to get up, but if I at least complete a 2 mile run then I feel good.

Good luck!
  • tessaeve
    tessaeve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings now. The only way I was able to make the switch was when we did the last time change and set our clocks back an hour, I didn't change the one in my bedroom. In the morning when the alarm went off, I got up and around before I woke up enough to know that it was 5:30 instead of 6:30 and since I was up, I went ahead and did my workout. I know it's a long ways from that time change, but if your are still struggling then...