Sick...to spin or not to spin?

Options
Quick question for all of you...

after a very long burn out week at work, and babysitting 2 sick kids....the enevitable has happened & I am sick. Murphy's law, first day off (saturday) i woke up lil miss sicky...

so I am congested, waking up all filled up (gross i know) and that loose rattling - my lungs are filled with gross stuff - kind of cough lol. generally i feel worse in the morning and evening/night, but function well once i get going during the day...

would it be beneficial to go to spin and sweat it out so to speak ...i was looking forward to getting back to the gym today as my long days and no breaks last week prevented it.

OR

stay home and continue to rest up... if i feel better tomorrow i can do spin at lunch AND zumba at night, or one or the other if I'm still weak & sickl...

opinions please :smile:

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    Stay home, rest and push the fluids....
  • thegirl68
    thegirl68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I thought the rule of thumb was "if it's in your head, go ahead, but if it's in your chest, stay home and rest".

Feel better!
    beck
  • rocktinkerbell
    Options
    STAY HOME! Not only to let your body spednd time recovering, but to also not spread it to others at the gym. Rest up and drink lots of fluids! Really, stay home and take care of yourself. The gym will be waiting fthere for you once you feel better!

Stay home!

Hope you feel better soon!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    If you have congestion in your lungs you definitely need to take time off. Working too hard and pushing yourself when sick can only make you worse. I once got bronchitis and did not rest or go to the doc, (work was stressful at the time and I didn't feel like I could not be there - it was stupid) and it only got worse and worse. Even after I got better I was on an inhaler for months and my lungs have never fully recovered.

Get some rest. And all that huffing and puffing while working out - you don't want to get everyone else in the class sick too!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I agree with thegirl68. :) Get some rest and definitely drink tons of liquids... some hot tea with honey. Take a warm bath or shower.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Looks like everyone else answered the question, but I noticed your ticker...
    You can actually update it to reflect the 30lbs.
    Go to "Weight in"
    Then "edit previous entries"
    put your original weight as the starting weight and then click the green change button to put in a previous date.
  • EvelynnFaith
    Options
    The only reason I would go to the gym sick would be to sit in the sauna and sweat it out that way and then take a nice hot shower before going home and straight to bed!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    okies! thanks everyone, just didn't want it to be another excuse NOT to go. and i really enjoy spin :)
  • springgrl
    springgrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the consensus here. It is better to take a few days off now than to go and make yourself worse and have to take a few weeks off.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Looks like everyone else answered the question, but I noticed your ticker...
    You can actually update it to reflect the 30lbs.
    Go to "Weight in"
    Then "edit previous entries"
    put your original weight as the starting weight and then click the green change button to put in a previous date.

hi thanks :smile: I knew that....but I like my ticker to reflect this years loss since I've joined mfp
    the first 30 was lost like a year before i started again :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Wait until you reach the point where you're no longer getting sicker, and you're starting to feel better, and then you can incorporate some LIGHT exercise- like a daily fresh air walk. I'd hold off on the heavy workouts until you're pretty much better. Drink lots of water to thin the mucus and make it easier to expel.