Just started...eat back calories or no? Help!!

Options
Hi All,

I realize that there are lots of topics for this but they seem to be mostly for people who have hit a "plateau" not for those just beginning. I just started to be serious with this last week and I am wondering if I should be eating back the calories I burn through exercise.

I have not been good about logging everything but I swore today I would start logging every little thing.

I have been doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred in the morning before work and I log it between 150-250 calories depending on my heart rate monitor.

Then I also do 60 mins of Zumba/Kickboxing 5-6 days a week. I haven't used my HRM in class yet but generally log it at 650 calories for the hour based on a website calculation. I will use it tonight for the first time to see what it reads.

I saw some weight loss when I started Zumba about 2.5 weeks ago, I dropped from 192ish to 185ish but nothing since then. In fact I have gone back up to 187ish. MFP gave me a calorie limit of 1200/day. I am terrible at math, even entering it into calculators and I am lost on what my amount should be. I am trying to get an appointment with a nutritionist to go over everything but in the meantime looking for some help!

I currently weigh 187 and am looking for 145-150. I am 5'7 and live a moderately active lifestyle(I am teacher so am moving all day long).

Thank you so much and sorry for bringing up this topic again!!

Replies

• Kiwi_09
    Kiwi_09 Posts: 65
    Options
    I say yes to eating them back. There are lots of opinions out there though. As long as you are recording EVERYTHING and being honest you'll see results.
    Having a HRM really helps since it's much more accurate.
    I'd say give it a month with eating back calories and if you don't see anything then maybe try only eating half.
    Why starve yourself if you don't need to!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP's system, then yes you are supposed to eat them back.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you are following MFP's system, then yes you are supposed to eat them back.

This. It's how the site was designed to work.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would. I always eat back most if not all of them, otherwise I am hungry :)
    I lost weight so far and keeping at it.
  • kpchefai
    kpchefai Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you...I just changed my goals from 2 lbs/week back to 1 lb/week and it upped my calorie goal to 1690. Now the challenge will be eating that much. I think I will try half first and see how it goes. Thanks again!