Newest Passion: Cold Weather Running!!

Options
2»

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Running in terrible weather, including the cold, fills me with joy.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    I'm relatively new to running but have LOVED running in the snow recently. It's my favourite "non-extreme" form of exercise! Much better than pounding the pavements!

It's not cold if you're moving, and if it is, move faster!

I don't wear a hat, just my Ronhill leggings, long sleeve baselayer with either a lightweight windstopper or a short sleeve baslayer over the top depending on conditions. Oh, and gloves if it's really cold.

Also found my normal running trainers do just fine. Thought I'd have cold, wet feet and no traction but actually they grip well in the snow and it's not until I get home I realise how wet my socks are.

Love it, wish I could run it it all year, I hate being too hot and am dreading running in the summer. Suspect I'll be a midnight runner when the time comes!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I LOVE to run in the cold, hate the summer! I wish there would be more races in the cold, but I guess there aren't enough of us to make it worth it :) Running in the cold is so much easier, and it takes a lot less effort. If it is about 50 degrees your body has to start to work to cool itself down, that is extra energy that could go towards your running. I bet a lot of people would have a PR if they could run more races in the winter :)
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY love winter running!
    but yes, it hit -20 today, so I'll be taking spin class instead.
    & it does make training through the summer tougher!
    but hey, I've got my long run coping mechanisms in place:
    post-run epsom salt baths in the winter...
    &
    planning my route through little public kids "splash pads" in the summer!
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Love it! It was about -20C yesterday and it felt great. I'm happy to run through Canadian winters but I retreat to the treadmill in the summer!

This is my first year running in a Canadian winter, -29 with the windchill this morning and loved it. This ice some days has been interesting with the dogs pulling, but so far so good!

Only problem is that my butt stays cold all day, may need to put a pair shorts over my running pants and see if that works!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I was trekking in the Himalayas / Zanskar a few years back and we lived in -30C for a few days. Surprisingly, at that altitude and once we got going we got down to shirt sleaves quickly in the sun. My run last night was -12C and felt colder at first. I've gotten soft.

I love extreme weather for every sport.

Night runs in the cold test me. I like that.
  • LindaLou0802
    LindaLou0802 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am new to running (doing the C25K) but I enjoy running in the colder weather so much more than the humid heat! It is invigorating and helps me run farther. But just out of curiosity...what do you all wear running when it is 30 degrees outside? I went running the other morning and was really cold and realized I don't have proper running clothes for cold weather. I also realize you don't want something too warm either.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    I am new to running (doing the C25K) but I enjoy running in the colder weather so much more than the humid heat! It is invigorating and helps me run farther. But just out of curiosity...what do you all wear running when it is 30 degrees outside? I went running the other morning and was really cold and realized I don't have proper running clothes for cold weather. I also realize you don't want something too warm either.

Layers! Yesterday I pair of lined tights, a long fairly warm running top (long enough to cover my butt) and a running jacket (plus warm socks, mitts and a hat). It was perfect for me. I am usually cold when I start, but once I get going, I'm good.

I try to dress the way I would if I was going for a walk in weather 15 degrees (C) warmer. So yesterday was -20 (-4F), I dressed how I would for a walk in -5 weather.
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yaaay! Cold weather runners unite!!! I LOVE ya'll!!!! I'm not too sure what my cold limit is yet. This morning was 28F and I'm sure I could go lower. It's funny, 50 seems warm to me now and I don't know what I'll do when summer comes and it hits 100 degrees during the day and cools to 90 degrees at night.

@cmeirun -37C is beyond cold!!! I don't think I'd be running, either.

@jenniferg83 I haven't gotten a sore throat yet (I'm afraid to admit that, seems to invite it on myself :-/)...I just feel GREAT after running.

@Maryd523 I wanna to be a snow runner! I wanna be a snow runner!!

@AlethaMary and @416runner -27C and -20C and ya'll were out in it?!? YOU BOTH WIN!!! Ultimate-Cool-Cold-Weather-Runner-People!!!!!

@emanyalpsid "Running in terrible weather, including the cold, fills me with joy." Me too!!! I LOVE running in torrential rain storms, too!! My neighbors all think I'm crazy! Lol!!
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I tend to stay really cold anyway, so I wear a pair of tights on my legs, then leggings over them. Stirrup tights on my upper body (cut out the crotch for my head, keeps me WARM!!), a couple of Cuddle Duds long sleeve shirts, jacket, thin ski mask (If my face gets cold, I'm cold. When my face warms up, I'm good to go!). Regular socks. Gloves. I wear the same shoes, Merrell's, and they're great!
  • LindaLou0802
    LindaLou0802 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks for the ideas for layering clothes! It helps to hear what you cold weather runners wear. :)