any good exercises to target the lower abs?

Options
HI everyone, I joined MFP in June but kinda fell off of it due to summer plans, working two jobs and getting engaged! Anyways, I am 5'8" almost 5'9" and my starting wieght was 143lbs. I am looking to lose about 10 pounds but mainly I want to tone up. We are having a destination wedding in a year and I want to look good and feel good in a bathing suite in front of my family and friends. My biggest problem area is my lower abdomen and love handles. I was hoping people could help me out with some exercises they do that target that area and also an approximate length of time before I will see any difference. Right now, I go to the gym about 4 times a week, mainly for cardio and floor work for between 30mins and an hour and I try to do yoga twice a week. I am also pretty strick about the 1200 calories up to 1300 when I work out. I have only been serious for about 2 weeks now and I have lost 4lbs but I haven't seen any change in the tape measure, nor to I notice any difference. I know it takes time but I am wondering if maybe my workout routine isn't enough. Please help. Thank you!

Replies

• brajorie
    brajorie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I saw someone post this great quote on here a while ago "it takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice. Give it 12 weeks and don't quit.", something to think about.

It's really all about diet for those lower abs to show as it's usually the last bit of fat to go, it's almost like the sediment in a wine bottle, the old stuff sinks to the bottom and is the most difficult to get out/take off. Ab exercises are good but if you are looking for the six pack look it's just going to take diet and a lot of cardio to burn it off. Try doing squats, it's one of the best all around exercises for your abs, it doesn't hurt that it helps your gluets look good too. Try phasing out dairy as well for a couple months, that should help. I know a lot of people like yogurt for their daily snack, but try a bag of veggies or a grapefruit instead. Grapefruits are one of the best miracle weight loss tools.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I strengthen my lower abs by doing flutter kicks, bicycle crunches and reverse crunches. I also do side oblique crunches to work on the love handle areas.

Gettin good abs is really 95% about losing the fat covering them, and 5% exercise.
  • jenniferryanne
    jenniferryanne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I will try to hit the cardio even more and give the squats a try. I was also thinking of giving up dairy anyways so thanks for the info on that!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to spot reduce your fat, but resistance training in general should help, though I'd go with squats and dead lifts (I do dumbells not bar) rather than crunches.

My solution (no I'm totally serious I am going to Punta Cana in 2 weeks) is spanx swimsuits.

http://www.spanx.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=11597048

I've got a tankini and a skirtini.