1200 Calories??? Are you kidding me...lol

Options
1235»

Replies

• sowrapl
    Options
    Tips to avoid pre dinner eating and after dinner smoking. Have a high protein snack around 4 p.m. When you get home immediatly change into exercise clothes and pour yourself a big glass of water and then set a snack bowl on the counter with baby carrots, apple slices or celery to munch on while you cook. Try to drink at least 16 oz. of water too. As soon as you are done eating brush your teeth andgo for a short walk or get in at least 10-15 min of other exercise. I quit smoking 12 years ago and I still maintain this routine. You are doing an amazing thing for yourself!!!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I’m also eating only 1200 calories. I find that I get the hungriest around 3:00. I don’t get home from work until 5:00 or after so by then I feel like eating everything I can get my hands on. What works for me is blueberries. There is only 15 calories for one serving (¼ cup) and they are great for you. I’ll put two servings in a baggie and keep it with me from 3:00pm until dinner.
    I usually get hungry at 3pm too. I've actually started trying to eat something every 2 hrs or so.
    So I have my coffee at 8:30, then I have my breakfast around 10:30, lunch around 12:30 or 1. Snack around 3pm, then dinner around 5:30 or 6. Snack again around 8pm. It seems to work best for me.
  • CM9178
    Options
    this might be a dumb question... but
    Is it better to eat, for example 1500 calories, and then burn off 300 with exercise, to net 1200.. or just eat 1200 with no exercise? Or are they basically the same thing, since you are still netting 1200??

This is why I'm asking... I'm currently eating 1200, no exercise.
    I should be eating around 1500.. but if I eat 1500 and then burn 300 with exercise, I will still net 1200.. so is that pointless to do?
    I don't want to eat back the exercise calories.

Let me further clarify - if I did exercise, it would strictly be cardio. But if I'm going to have the same result either way, I'd obviously prefer eating 1200 with no exercise.

it's better to eat 1500, burn 300 and then eat back 300 calories like we suggested in your thread, lol.

Ok, but I don't want to eat them back, I feel like that is pointless, because I worked out to burn calories and then I'm going to eat them. I just can't wrap my head around doing that.
    If I'm going to net 1500 either way, either by eating them back or not working out, I'd rather just not work out. I don't see the point.

to build muscle, look good, be strong, be healthy, live long, enjoy life, etc
    Ok, there are plenty of good looking, strong and healthy people who don't work out.

I guess that depends on your definition of strong and healthy.

I guess so..
    BTW - Love Never Ending Story!
  • shellsy1st
    shellsy1st Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking nearly 2 years ago and without me realizing it i replaced smoking with eating, every time i had a coffee i would normally have a cigarette so instead i would have a cake or biscuits and before i knew it i was 73kgs almost 13kgs overweight and for almost 2 years i'd been blinded by the fact that i was overweight.

It took me to start keeping a food journal before i finally realized how much i was eating, some of it was just out of habit not hunger and its a hard habit to break especially if its a replacement for cigarettes.

I found this site & now im on my way to a healthy lifestyle and weight loss, i did find the 1200 calories hard to stick to at first but it is a lifestyle change you have to make changes to the things you eat and absolutely no junk food, i find that if i exercise i really don't want to eat rubbish as its just undoing the hard work im putting in.

I bought Gillian Michael Master your Metabolism cookbook which i find has loads of great food to eat that keeps you with in your 1200 calorie limit.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options

BTW - Love Never Ending Story!

:smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    this might be a dumb question... but
    Is it better to eat, for example 1500 calories, and then burn off 300 with exercise, to net 1200.. or just eat 1200 with no exercise? Or are they basically the same thing, since you are still netting 1200??

This is why I'm asking... I'm currently eating 1200, no exercise.
    I should be eating around 1500.. but if I eat 1500 and then burn 300 with exercise, I will still net 1200.. so is that pointless to do?
    I don't want to eat back the exercise calories.

Let me further clarify - if I did exercise, it would strictly be cardio. But if I'm going to have the same result either way, I'd obviously prefer eating 1200 with no exercise.

it's better to eat 1500, burn 300 and then eat back 300 calories like we suggested in your thread, lol.

Ok, but I don't want to eat them back, I feel like that is pointless, because I worked out to burn calories and then I'm going to eat them. I just can't wrap my head around doing that.
    If I'm going to net 1500 either way, either by eating them back or not working out, I'd rather just not work out. I don't see the point.

to build muscle, look good, be strong, be healthy, live long, enjoy life, etc
    Ok, there are plenty of good looking, strong and healthy people who don't work out.

If what you think actually worked then you would have created several post asking about this stuff. I am not trying to be rude but stating facts. Every women i know who is successful is eating 1700-2100 calories a day. If you want to be fit and lean, you need to fuel your body. Its that simple.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If what you think actually worked then you would have created several post asking about this stuff. I am not trying to be rude but stating facts. Every women i know who is successful is eating 1700-2100 calories a day. If you want to be fit and lean, you need to fuel your body. Its that simple.

Ignorance is bliss.

Yes you can stick to your lower eating values instead of eating 1500, then burning 300, because it IS pointless. Cardio does just that, it improves your stamina, cardiovascular performance, conditioning, and helps with your agility, and is a great tool for fat loss, if you find it hard to eat at a significant cut.

It should be noted that a calorie cut without exercise can slow your metabolism slightly, but only by a small amount (8-12%). Adjusting back to maintenance once you reach your goal will take several weeks of slowly upping your calories.

Personally, I think that if you consume enough protein, and make a head nod towards some kind of strength or light resistance training in your regimen, maintaining a cut like that is fine. If you don't care about looking rounded and muscular in places, then don't follow a regimen that will give you size and strength.

Although I would be one of the men in the camp who think that jessica biel's rock hard *kitten* is the stuff that dreams are made of...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Ignorance is bliss.

Yes you can stick to your lower eating values instead of eating 1500, then burning 300, because it IS pointless. Cardio does just that, it improves your stamina, cardiovascular performance, conditioning, and helps with your agility, and is a great tool for fat loss, if you find it hard to eat at a significant cut.

It should be noted that a calorie cut without exercise can slow your metabolism slightly, but only by a small amount (8-12%). Adjusting back to maintenance once you reach your goal will take several weeks of slowly upping your calories.

Personally, I think that if you consume enough protein, and make a head nod towards some kind of strength or light resistance training in your regimen, maintaining a cut like that is fine. If you don't care about looking rounded and muscular in places, then don't follow a regimen that will give you size and strength.

Although I would be one of the men in the camp who think that jessica biel's rock hard *kitten* is the stuff that dreams are made of...

+1 for Biel's *kitten*, and +1 for having a badass mfp username.

I have been in a 700+ calorie deficit for months (started at 245 lbs., now at 210) and my lifts have been increasing, losing inches in all of the right places, and I have seen a fair amount of increase in muscle size. Since I started as a total blimp, I had plenty of fat stores to run on while jumping in strength. It also probably helps that almost 60% of my daily calories come from protein.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options

It's like Captain Kirk is pissed off that the OP is eating so little. :laugh:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Ignorance is bliss.

Even with strength training, if its in conjunction with a lower calorie diet you will lose lean body mass.. only the obese can get away with a lcd. She is no where close to obese. Body needs fuel, if it doesnt have enough glycogen store it will go to the amino acids in muscle to create energy.
  • CM9178
    Options

See and I've read that a cut without exercise can screw up your metabolism and will be very hard to maintain.

I don't know if what I'm currently doing works in the long run, because I'm not there yet, that's why I'm asking.
    I do know that I have been steadily losing weigh without exercise, gradually decreasing calories and now I'm at about 1200.
    But I have 45 more pounds to go, so if I can't go lower than 1200, I have to do something else. Or I'll stop losing. THAT"S why I'm asking.
  • CM9178
    Options

Ignorance is bliss.

Even with strength training, if its in conjunction with a lower calorie diet you will lose lean body mass.. only the obese can get away with a lcd. She is no where close to obese. Body needs fuel, if it doesnt have enough glycogen store it will go to the amino acids in muscle to create energy.
    Actually, according to every calculator that I've ever used, I am considered obese.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you're starving, you're doing it wrong. :wink: Up your calories to a point where you can get healthy AND enjoy your days, instead of trying to suffer through starvation. :)
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I did the 1200 cals for 2.5 months.. lost steadily 24 lb. I then got pregnant lol. I was only two lb away from goal weight though so I thought that was great :) Now I eat at maintenance at 1590/day and have maintained my weight for the last 14 weeks. I am 5'6" and 125lb currently.

I just had a full blood work testing done because of the pregnancy and everything was perfect! I am not low in iron (like I was before I cut my diet down and started watching my macros and diet more carefully), and I was not low in anything.

So all you people who say it's so horrible to do 1200 and you can't stick to it etc. you are wrong, it works for some people and they can healthily loose that weight. Since my maintenance cals are only 1590/day based on my height/weight how else would I loose weight then by cutting from that? I of course also worked out and didn't eat my exercise calories back. I just cut out every bad item, only when I got back to maintenance I started enjoying something like a ferrero rochet at christmas etc :)

My blood workup proves to me that I am healthier now then when I first started, and I had so much energy until the pregnancy tiredness hit, but I am starting to feel more energetic and plan to start working out and eating my exercise calories back. I am also going to bump up my calories in a few weeks as I will need to gain about 20lb over the rest of the pregnancy and I feel excited that I can do that so easily with MFP's calorie tracker, it's really awesome!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    But it's not the same result. You will have better heart health, less risk of some nasty things (women do have heart attacks) in the next 20-30 years, and more overall vigor and energy to take on the day. You can do more, enjoy more activities like swimming or biking or walking or hiking, or anything that is not just sitting around all day long. (If you don't like outdoorsy stuff now you might find that you like it when it's not kicking your butt.)

Exercising also reduces stress hormones and produces all natural happy drugs. It may not happen the first time, but it's like sex: the first time was blah, but it gets better. Speaking of, women who work out have better sex. (It's a circulation thing. More blood to your lady parts = more pleasure.)

Strength training is also worthwhile and won't make you all muscular, search for threads on strength training for women.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Why do we only get calories back if we do cardio....but nothing for an hour of strength training? Also, why does it only add the time doing cardio vs. strength?

There is an entry under cardio. Just search for strength training in the cardio section, and add the minutes spent. It's there. I use it every day.
  • MelisaDonald
    MelisaDonald Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Not all calories are created equal - Eat a pile of veggies and/or a piece of fruit and a 3-4 oz portion of protein, and a source of good fat with EVERY meal, and you'll not tend to feel hungry. I can't eat refined sugars or starches without craving more and more. Some foods are satisfying and some are addictive.

Also, not all exercise is created equal. Cardio will burn calories during exercise and make you feel happy for the day. Strength training will burn calories during exercise, burn calories for up to 48 hours after exercise, and cause you to burn more calories at rest. I find both help me feel satisfied and control my appetite, unless I exercise a LOT and don't eat enough - then appetite goes crazy later or the next day.

This is about taking good care of my body so it will do what it was created to do, easily, with lots of energy to spare, to prevent sickness, need less sleep, be satisfied with good and healthy food, have a good attitude with my family, etc.
  • Nmira09
    Nmira09 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Cooking your meals really helps! I NEVER used to do that and when I started using MFP I had a hard time. My goal was to consume 1200 calories but I kept going over. I started walking every day and cooking so I felt I had a lot of energy and didn't feel as hungry as the first week. Now I find myself consuming less than 1200 and I don't feel as hungry as I used to. The cooking really did help though!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Cooking your meals really helps! I NEVER used to do that and when I started using MFP I had a hard time. My goal was to consume 1200 calories but I kept going over. I started walking every day and cooking so I felt I had a lot of energy and didn't feel as hungry as the first week. Now I find myself consuming less than 1200 and I don't feel as hungry as I used to. The cooking really did help though!
    cooking = awesome
    under 1200 = notsomuch.

do yourself a favor and read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

seriously.