So scared of carbs! HELP!

Options
Everytime I binge (which is always carbs!) I gain like crazy. I'd love to just be able to eat normal and only worry about calories but for some reason I am scared to death of carbs and weight gain! If I eat "good" carbs and limit calories I'm sure I'll start losing again but I can't wrap my head around this concept.

Please tell me carbs are not the scary evil monster that my brain is making them out to be!:sad:

Replies

• dominoid747
    dominoid747 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There are no good or bad foods. You've hit the nail on the head there yourself which is binge eating of them. If you were binge eating any other food, it would also make you gain. Eat and drink within your macros and move your body more and don't be afraid of food. You should remember that whilst it sometimes feels otherwise, you are in charge of the food, not the other way round.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Carbs have gotten a bad rap.

Carbs are good for you. Over eating anything is what causes weight gain.

Simply watch your calories and ensure you get plenty of protein. You'll be fine.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks. My typical routine is high protein, low carbs, and then I binge, gain weight from the carb binge, and start over again and again each week. I also eat under 1200 calories (which is bad I know!) and then I'm starving at the end of the day and end up binging, beating myself up and watching the scale slowly go up. I think I'll check out Tosca Reno's eat clean diet and go from there. So sick of beating myself up over this carb thing. :explode: :grumble: :cry:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Thanks. My typical routine is high protein, low carbs, and then I binge, gain weight from the carb binge, and start over again and again each week. I also eat under 1200 calories (which is bad I know!) and then I'm starving at the end of the day and end up binging, beating myself up and watching the scale slowly go up. I think I'll check out Tosca Reno's eat clean diet and go from there. So sick of beating myself up over this carb thing. :explode: :grumble: :cry:
    Carbs break down into glycogen and is stored in muscle cells and liver. If you low carb, chances are you are depleting these stores so that whenever you "carb up" you're restoring glycogen and water which is causing the weight gain. You want it to stop? Eat carbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I once did strict low carb for about 4 years and was very thin and fit. I know it works and i know some people can do it forever. I am not one of them. In recent years i have been on and off that wagon and gaining fast. I finally found a plan that gives me the very best of both worlds with Chris Powell's choose to lose carb cycling plan. he is the guy from Extreme makeover weight loss edition. I was kind of scared to add in healthy carbs because of my blood sugar issues. I now fully grasp that healthy carbs in the right amount wont shoot my blood sugar to the moon. I'm only in a few weeks but my blood sugar is very good. there is no need to binge on carbage because I do have a free day with a calorie spike on the plan. . It used to be i'd be on low carb a few weeks. fall of and gain 10 lbs of bloat in a weekend. I am so grateful to be off that roller coaster now. best of all i feel great with tons of energy and am sleeping like a baby with no self hate for falling in the carbage!
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Ninerbuff,

Excuse me for being ignorant but if I eat carbs and I have the glycogen stores then won't my weight continue to go up? The more carbs I have (even good carbs) then the more water I store, which means the more weight I gain?

Sorry this is just confusing to me. Maybe why I'm so afraid of carbs!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make you fat. Fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.

It sounds like you're binging because you feel deprived from going low carb. Have you tried a moderate carb plan? It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Carbs have gotten a bad rap.

Carbs are good for you. Over eating anything is what causes weight gain.

Simply watch your calories and ensure you get plenty of protein. You'll be fine.

This.

Carbs are energy. You gain weight when you binge because you eat over your TDEE (maintenance calories).
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Your brain runs on sugars you get from carbs... it can run off ketones, but usually that's not the case. You probably binge because your body is craving something it needs. Eat balanced meals problems solved. All my meals have protein fats and carbs.
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Carbs are delicious, I could never go low carb, but all things in moderation.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic, like me, carbs can be scary. But if you aren't diabetic, you are lucky. Enjoy your carbs, like all things, in moderation. :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    well, i am a CARDIO GIRL,,
    CARBS ARE MY FUEL!
    I NEED THEM!
    THEY ARE GOOD!
  • Candy1629
    Candy1629 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered that I crave carbs & binge when I'm not eating enough food. I found out I was truly starving myself (1200-1300 calories - not even eating my BMR) and that caused me to crave carbs & binge. Now that I'm eating almost 1700 calories a day, I don't crave anything bad. But I still always go over on carbs, and I'm fine with that. I just don't binge or overeat. Good luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff,

Excuse me for being ignorant but if I eat carbs and I have the glycogen stores then won't my weight continue to go up? The more carbs I have (even good carbs) then the more water I store, which means the more weight I gain?

Sorry this is just confusing to me. Maybe why I'm so afraid of carbs!

No. Carbs above and beyond your glycogen stores do not get turned into fat.

Calories above your TDEE get turned into fat - no matter which macro they come from.

If you are binging on carbs because you are restricting them, maybe you need to look at/consider a more moderate plan. Your current one doesn't seem to be serving you very effectively.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Everytime I binge (which is always carbs!) I gain like crazy. I'd love to just be able to eat normal and only worry about calories but for some reason I am scared to death of carbs and weight gain! If I eat "good" carbs and limit calories I'm sure I'll start losing again but I can't wrap my head around this concept.

Please tell me carbs are not the scary evil monster that my brain is making them out to be!:sad:

Seek professional help as fearing food or a macronutrient is abnormal behavior
  • ksova71
    ksova71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try a low glycemic index carb... there are good carbs and as you say bad carbs.. Always pair a carb with a protein and that will help sustain your energy levels as well as future cravings for carbs. You shouldn't ever be hungry.
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Carbs are usually full of sugar and sugar causes your body to crave more sugar, which is why you can't stop eating them. I eat low carb 6 days a week and fulfill my cravings on the 7th day (mainly pizza and beer) and will see a weight gain for 2-3 days after since carbs cause you to retain water.

Look into 4-hour body if you want to eliminate carbs, since that plan allows for good carbs (beens, lentils, etc). He doesn't allow cheese, which I do eat and have still had weight loss with.

Some people, like my husband, eat one carb-ful item and are in a "drunken" state from it. I however, get a sugar rush with lots of energy until I crash and feel hungover. Sugar and Carbs are not necessary in your diet. If you eliminate carbs, your body will fuel itself from fat and protein.

It's a balancing act. I never thought I could eliminate carbs, but having my one "cheat day" makes it so much easier and I've lost 18 pounds so far (without exercise).
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I eat under 1200 calories. I eat my TDEE - 20% = 1056 calories. It works for me and I am never hungry. As for carbs, if it fits in your calories, eat it. I have the same problems and try to make sure I am eating nutrient packed carbs. I avoid white food. Potatoes are the worst for me. Good luck.
  • Lisa1971
    Options

Seek professional help as fearing food or a macronutrient is abnormal behavior

LOL! I know right???! The evil carbs in the pantry give me nightmares. LOL!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Look to the reasoning behind your binges. Are you stressed? Are you restricting too much? What triggers it.