Is this possible? I'm confused... Again.

Options
I just got done a 2hr workout. I did Bob Harpers inside out method DVD and got on my treadmill. I got a heart rate monitor yesterday so that I could try to get a more accurate read on what I'm burning. I was definitely pushing hard and sweating... Out of breath, whatever. According to MFP and my treadmill I burned over 1000 calories. According to my heart rate monitor I only burned 616. Is this possible that there would be such a drastic difference? I believe I'm using it right, calibrated it with my age, weight and height. Everything I'm seeing is that the HRM sometimes shows more calories burned than MFP. Fanks in advance.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I would trust the HRM over the MFP database or machines.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Ya each depends on their own formula, I would go with the heart monitor tend to be more accurate cause it bases it on how hard your heart is working, MFP is using an average.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    That sucks. I had suspected that MFP overestimated but not by that much.

I know at least for the treadmill part my average heart rate was 158bpm
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Definitely go by the HRM. Machines always seem to overestimate.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I would just check the scale weekly to see if I'm progressing toward my goals and make adjustments based on that, not MFP, the machine, or the HRM.
  • SteelersFan7
    SteelersFan7 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My calorie count with my HRM is always about half of what MFP says it should be. I trust my HRM over MFP because it continuously monitors my heart rate during my workout. I know it sucks to burn less than what you think you've burned, but it will make you weight loss goals easier to reach because your caloric burns are more accurate.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    shockingly enough for me, my HRM burns and MFP burns are usually quite similar. sometimes my HRM estimate is a little higher, sometimes a little lower. your HRM is more accurate becuase it's measuring your intensity better at every moment - and not just how fast you're going or the incline, how hard your heart is actually working to fuel your movements. it can be a great way to make sure that you keep your intensity up during your workout...if you see your HR slipping down past a certain point, pick it up!!
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    shockingly enough for me, my HRM burns and MFP burns are usually quite similar. sometimes my HRM estimate is a little higher, sometimes a little lower. your HRM is more accurate becuase it's measuring your intensity better at every moment - and not just how fast you're going or the incline, how hard your heart is actually working to fuel your movements. it can be a great way to make sure that you keep your intensity up during your workout...if you see your HR slipping down past a certain point, pick it up!!

I'm the same, it's nice to know I'm not a weirdo.