When did your weight loss slow?

Options
I started at 277 lbs and was losing pretty quickly. 3 lbs a week sometimes but never less than 2. Once i hit about 185 lbs it slowed down a lot. Im now 175 and the past 10 lbs has taken 10 weeks, so im about down to 1 lb a week. Thats normal, right? Mostly just curious when everyone elses slowed down.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal, the slower it goes.

When you are within 20lbs of your goal, you should only be aiming for 1lb/week.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    when I started eating more
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Those are my monthly weight loss results since I started.

This month is at 4 pounds lost... I need to start eating more.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options

Awesome, thanks. I have heard this a few times but wasnt sure if it pertained to me just because my goal seems to be higher than most peoples (155 lbs). Thanks.
  • dietpepsi100
    dietpepsi100 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    have you changed things up? When my loss changes I change my workout routine or bump up my protein ect. But sometimes we hit spots like that. Just continue and you will see it start to kick in again. YOUR AWESOME! keep up the great work!
  • LoraF83
    Options

Awesome, thanks. I have heard this a few times but wasnt sure if it pertained to me just because my goal seems to be higher than most peoples (155 lbs). Thanks.

Nope - it pertains to everyone. And just because your goal is higher than some doesn't mean anything. It's your goal. Mine is higher than yours.

Congrats on your success so far!
  • sweetpea129
    Options
    have you changed things up? When my loss changes I change my workout routine or bump up my protein ect. But sometimes we hit spots like that. Just continue and you will see it start to kick in again. YOUR AWESOME! keep up the great work!

Thank you! YOU'RE AWESOME AS WELL!

I havent changed anything. I think thats the problem to be honest. When i was 200+, i was able to lose a lot of weight just by watching what i was eating and going for short walks. I dont think that is cutting it anymore so i have to either step up my workouts or accept a much slower rate of loss. Does that make sense?
  • LoraF83
    Options

I havent changed anything. I think thats the problem to be honest. When i was 200+, i was able to lose a lot of weight just by watching what i was eating and going for short walks. I dont think that is cutting it anymore so i have to either step up my workouts or accept a much slower rate of loss. Does that make sense?

Accept the slower rate. At 200lbs+ you had plenty of fat stores to allow you to lose 2lbs per week. If you pursue 2lbs per week now, you'll risk losing muscle/lean body mass. You don't want that.

1lb per week may seem slow, but you'll be happier with the results.
  • sweetpea129
    Options

Accept the slower rate. At 200lbs+ you had plenty of fat stores to allow you to lose 2lbs per week. If you pursue 2lbs per week now, you'll risk losing muscle/lean body mass. You don't want that.

1lb per week may seem slow, but you'll be happier with the results.

Awesome, thats exactly what I was thinking. Im totally okay with the slower loss now that im happier with my body and just feel healthier. Thanks for the help! And congrats on your success thus far :)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Mine has always been slow :( lol
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    That's normal. It's the math of calorie deficits.

Take me as an example: At 319 lbs and sedentary it took 2633 calories a day just to maintain my weight. If I ate 1350 calories a day I'd be eating 1283 calories a day less than I needed to maintain my weight or 8981 calories a week deficit - that equals out to about 2 1/2 lbs a week.

Fast forward. I now weigh 136 lbs, which at sedentary (I'm not any more but for sake of comparison) it only takes 1633 calories to maintain. If I wanted to continue to lose (I don't) and ate 1350 calories a day, I'd only have a deficit of 283 calories a day, 1981 calories a week or a little over half a pound a week.

That's why weight loss slows down as you get smaller - it takes less calories to maintain your current weight so you're eating at less of a calorie deficit than you were before.
  • sweetpea129
    Options
    Thanks vypeters :) Totally agree that its what happens as you lose. I guess i just thought that 175 lbs was still on the higher side to slow down that much. But im totally okay with it. As long as i lose im fine :)
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    That number must be jinxed. I have been stauck at 185/187 for almost 2 months!! making me nuts!!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Mine came to a complete stop after I lost 55 pounds. I didnt know how to cope with the plateau (wish I was on this site at the time) Had no support so I slipped back into my old ways. I know where to come though if this happens ever again.
  • evdenapoli
    Options

My goal is 145-150.. feels like i'll never get there being stuck at 187
  • evdenapoli
    Options
    That's normal. It's the math of calorie deficits.

Take me as an example: At 319 lbs and sedentary it took 2633 calories a day just to maintain my weight. If I ate 1350 calories a day I'd be eating 1283 calories a day less than I needed to maintain my weight or 8981 calories a week deficit - that equals out to about 2 1/2 lbs a week.

Fast forward. I now weigh 136 lbs, which at sedentary (I'm not any more but for sake of comparison) it only takes 1633 calories to maintain. If I wanted to continue to lose (I don't) and ate 1350 calories a day, I'd only have a deficit of 283 calories a day, 1981 calories a week or a little over half a pound a week.

That's why weight loss slows down as you get smaller - it takes less calories to maintain your current weight so you're eating at less of a calorie deficit than you were before.

tks! makes sense!