Too much sugar in fruit?

Options
So, one of the things I log on my food diary on this site is sugar. I noticed I was going over almost every day, which I thought was strange because I don't really eat sweets. When I checked, I saw that almost all of my sugar came from fruit. I would literally have an apple and an orange and be over the recommended amount of sugar. But now I'm kind of lost... I don't want to stop eating fruit, but I worry that it actually is too much sugar. So, um... help?

Replies

• bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    keep eating your fruit. Don't worry about going over on that number, as long as you know it is due to fruit.

I've gone over on that number pretty much every single day since I started changing my diet back in Sept. This topic comes up pretty regularly, and everyone always says the same thing... eat your fruit.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    It's the added sugar, not natural sugar in fruit.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Loads of threads on this if you run a search, the topic comes up every couple of days.
  • kellapicola
    kellapicola Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My friend is a trainer and she just posted this on her fitness blog this morning--I am trying to keep my fruit and one or two per day tops:

Yes, fruit is healthy.. but watch the unlimited fruits. Our body converts certain carbs to glycogen for energy. Glucose (oats, sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa) can be converted to glycogen by our liver AND our muscle to use as energy. Fructose (fruit and HFCS) can only be stored in the liver, since our muscles are not capable of storing it. The liver can only store 100g and the rest goes to fat. So, long story short: Avoid HFSC at all cost as that will just go right to fat. Fruit has much lower levels of fructose so 1-3 servings are fine. If you have a lot of body fat to lose, then maybe just 1 serving.. and you will be fine. BUT, if you see fruit as completely unlimited, you WILL gain body fat. Google it yourself :-) It is science....