Is it possible to eat low sodium and high protein?

Options
vsetter
vsetter Posts: 558 Member
Hi All.
About 4 months ago, I altered my macros and made my diet 50% protein (30% carbs, 20% fat). It didn't take long to notice that, as a result, my sodium levels increased (probably due to increased cheese and higher sodium meat products). On an almost daily basis, my sodium has been over the 2500 mfp limit. Since --- I have had a few doctor appointments. I have noticed that my blood pressure is high. Not high by a doctor's standpoint, but high for me personally. Today, the doctor told me to limit my sodium to 2,000.

Any suggestions for balancing a high protein diet with low sodium? I guess that I have to cut the cheese and breakfast sausage. Has anyone out there been successful with this diet? When my sodium is in check, my protein levels are too low. Please help me find a balance.

Thanks!

Replies

• vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It's actually pretty easy. Cut out most processed proteins - most of them use salt/fat to give added flavor. Then don't use sodium containing foods to prepare your unprocessed proteins. And presto.

Edit to add - just looked back through my diary. I get 115 - 150 grams of protein a day (admittedly some of it from a shake) and haven't broken 2000 grams of sodium in the last 30 days.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you'll probably want to cut out the breakfast sausage. Sausage and related meats (pepperoni, salami, etc) were preserved with salt originally. You may want to switch to fresh/unprocessed meats.

My mother had something similar happen and it was due to her ingesting large quantities of salted pistachios. She can only have the unsalted kind now, but they are much harder to find. So make sure you're not ingesting vast quantities of salted nuts as well.
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    subsitute some of your salt seasoned meat/pork with dash, basil,rosemary, etc (non-solidium) seasoned pork,chicken and eat more fish. I also eat raw almonds, and do protein shakes, greek yorgurt, and boiled eggs. I do love my Pb so I have alot of that - but I don't go other unless I have lots of soup, or chinese food, pizza. - but those aren't everyday meals.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Buy plain meat, fish and seafood not processed rubbish.