Eating at night/ after 8pm

Options
I hear alot of people talk about this - that its key to not eat too late. I was wondering if there's any real basis for this? yes the food sits in your stomach while you are sleeping but, other than perhaps interfering w/ your sound sleep, doesn't it just get added up in your daily totals, or is there some magic to it?

I've also heard many (more strength trainer folk than others) say you should feed yourself some slow digesting protein (like casein, ie - cottage cheese) at night so you don't cannabolize your muscles.

any thoughts? lately, I've been going to the gym about 8pm, eating at around 9:30 and going to bed around 11pm.... is this bad?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    They dont know what they are talking about. Meal frequency and timing have nothing to do with weight loss. Eat when you want.

Btw, the protein thing has no merrit either. Just monitor total protein. Aim to get 1g of protein per lb of lbm
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    They dont know what they are talking about. Meal frequency and timing have nothing to do with weight loss. Eat when you want.

^This. There is nothing else to add.
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think as long as it fits in your calories it doesn't matter when you eat. I think some people stop eating by a certain time just so they don't binge. I know for myself some nights I can't eat until 8:30 or 9PM, but I try not to snack after dinner. That's when the calories get blown out of the water...lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There is no evidence to suggest that eating late at night has a direct negative impact on weight loss and in fact there is some evidence that it may be advantageous. However, meal timing should be looked at in a wider context - adherence, lifestyle, preference, gym performance and energy throughout the day - all these factors will differ between individuals and will have a far greater impact to goals than forcing meal timing without regard to these other factors.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    psulemon and sarauk2sf already said what I was going to say........:grumble:

(kidding of course! they're awesome!)
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    thanks guys - glad to hear the advice!!
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options

AMEN!! Lately my dinners have been after midnight. Not by choice.. Just everything else in my life was shifted. And there is no impact to my weight loss.