I do well for a week, then go off the rails.

Options
I do well for a week, I may lose a couple pound... then I have two weeks of eating terrible and put it straight back on! I can't stop binge eating sweets late at night... Motivation and support? I'd be great full. Hope everyone else is doing good!

Replies

• sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    i know the feeling! i do the worst late at night. try to fill your time with other things. Or work out late at night so that when you get home, all you want to do is shower and go to sleep :)

You can do this! Stick with it!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Throw out everything you binge on. Everything. Then pay attention to any food you eat that triggers cravings and consider getting rid of that, too. Also make sure your caloric deficit isn't too large, that also triggers binge eating.
  • fwilson1031
    Options
    I have a hard time limiting my portions at dinner... I tend to over eat at dinner just because I am on my feet at work and don't get much time to sit down and enjoy a meal, so I tend to go all out in the evening. So, I have been doing my workouts in the evening, like an hour after dinner, this way I can remind myself not to eat too much because I will probably hurl! After my workout I may have a light snack, but then I complete my diary and I am done! Maybe you should try to set a time for yourself everyday that you stop logging and tell yourself once the diary is complete you cannot eat anymore... Just a though. Good luck to you!
  • wildechild74
    wildechild74 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    are you being too strict/giving up too many things with your food choices all at once?? i find i am that way. i too have a nasty sweet tooth, however my cravings are mid afternoon. i say screw it, i'll have a smaller portion of some full fat full sugar treat.
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A couple of things I find helpful:

--Do something in the evenings that make it hard to snack. I crochet. Not well, mind you, but it keeps me from snacking because my hands are occupied.
    --Brush and floss your teeth rather than eating something sweet. That discourages me from eating or drinking anything at all after dinner.

Remember that discipline is the difference between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.

Stay strong!
  • vmatya01
    Options
    I've been the same way, since I've gotten married. I used to be really good at sticking to healthy eating and going to the gym all the time, but I've fallen off the wagon about a year ago, and haven't been able to get back on, and also added 25 lbs. I'll do really good, clean eating, not eating out or anything, then my husband sabotages it by having people over, ordering pizza, and having my favorite snacks on the weekends... Then I start all over on Monday, it's a vicious cycle that I can't seem to break.
  • Thanks for all your replies. Well the problem is, I live with my parents. So their cupboards are full of treats, and even if they wasn't I would binge on cheese, or chocolate spreads, or marshmallows... Just silly things. I have been trying to stick to 1200 calories a day... As for work, I don't work during the winter very much (odd promotional jobs) so I am sat at home all day and during the summer I sell icecream! I can't win haha.
  • anotherYRwiser
    Options
    I have the same problem - because my husband is home and loves to snack on sweets at night. He WAS being good at hiding them for me so I wouldn't be tempted, but since I lost 20 lbs, it's like he's sabotaging me to gain it back :(

Eat HIGH FIBER at supper. It's more filling.

Chew Gum when you crave sweets. I love the "Dessert Delights" Extra gum.

Drink water!! A lot of times our body will tell us we're hungry when we really need to be hydrated! Plus water is also a filler!

Brushing your teeth after supper is a REAL help because toothpaste makes things taste horrible!

Maybe start a journal - when you start feeling as though you want to snack - write down what you are doing, what you are feeling. You may find that it simply has become a bad habit that needs to be broken! A certain television show may be triggering that snack attack!

Living at home with your parents definitely makes it hard - but you have to keep in mind that YOU are ultimately responsible for YOUR actions! Nobody is tying you down and shoving the stuff down your throat!! JUST SAY NO! Even if it's to yourself! When you reach for that cupboard door - say NO!! out loud!!

Assess WHY you want to lose weight - remind yourself how far you've come and how hard it was. It's way easier to GAIN 10 lbs than it is to LOSE it!! Stay FOCUSED!! YOU ARE WORTH IT!
  • macaya5
    macaya5 Posts: 75
    Options
    yep, I live with my dad and his wife and they eat crap. the pantry is half full of things I would not put in my grocery basket.

don't wait to long to eat when you're hungry and try to have an easy, healthy go to snack or two or three available. nuts, fruit, yogurt...I recently discovered sugar free pudding. :heart: it!

personally, I try to not eat after 8. If I'm really hungry, I'll have a little protein. if I still want something sweet, then I have it, but just a little and a full glass of water.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Check out the South Beach or similar diet that has an introductory phase. This introduction is designed to teach your body to function on fewer carbs and to break the sugar addiction. Once you have been through the introduction, which sounds like about your attention span, it should be easier to slide into healthy eating because you have fewer cravings for sweets. Sugar craves sugar, and processed flour converts to sugar very daily in your system. I once had to do a science experiment where you held a saltine in your mouth for a few minutes - your saliva breaks it down into sugar and it tastes sweet after awhile, so basically it is already sugar by the time it hits your stomach.

As for living with temptations, try to work it out so that you have a dedicated drawer or shelf in the fridge and the pantry. This is where you will stock up on healthy meals and snacks and be your go to place when you are hungry, rather than hunting in the temptation laden cupboard.