Which 'fad diets' did you buy into?

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever really done a fad diet, though I have tried some diet aids in the past like Slim Fast and Dexatrim. I did try the cabbage soup from the diet of the same name (a friend was doing it) but I didn't like it.

I did the Macrobiotic thing for while many years ago, which is not a weight loss diet and doesn't have any real rules, just guidelines and suggestions. I wasn't overweight when I did it, but I did lose a few pounds. I still incorporate a lot of the principles I learned on it, like eating whole local foods and enjoying nature in my life as much as possible.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Gee whiz. I think I have done just about every diet there is on the planet. Honestly, back when they had the ephedrine in them, they all worked fairly well, but since they took it out, nothing works. I'm not an advocate for ephedrine, but I personally did like it.

Dexatrim
    Alli
    Herbalife
    Herbalift
    Chromium
    Hydroxycut
    Hoodia
    Slimfast
    Zantrex

The list just goes on and on and on.
  • Missellaneous02
    Missellaneous02 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I never really tried a fad diet because I never had too much weight to lose. But once I noticed I started gaining weight I tried only eating salad for lunch every day and oatmeal for breakfast. Obviously didn't work because I followed that with tons of beer and huge portioned dinners, in addition to not exercising at all.
  • Naywifey07
    Naywifey07 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    OMG... I am the queen of falling for the "fad diets'.... I have tried a lot.... Sensa made so sleepy and tired all the time, I tried Colon Cleansing (GNC) it stopped me up... I tried Alli ( I didn't take it seriously which gave me a rude awakeing).. I have tried Tonalin (IDK).... I tried Nina Detox (wasnt working for me dry mouth)... I have tried Hydroxycut fo women regular.... Now with the Hydroxycut I can say that I do believe that it did help me because I actually felt more energized and I became regular :embarassed :grumble:, so after that I went Hydroycut Max... Now with that I became more constipated so I stopped... I had to learn the hard way (sad to say) the last few months I have been using this wonderful app (MFP) tracking and going to the gym a few times a week..... I am loosing weight and feeling much better....Oh last but not least I am drinking the Slim Fast Shake in the morning. Its not so much as a diet, it is for my breakfast and holds me until lunch time :) NO MORE FAD DIETS!!!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    The stupid 'raise your metabolism' patches. So dumb. I just walked around all friggin day wearing a sticker. Didn't do Nada!!
  • brighteyes124
    brighteyes124 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh, I feel like I've tried them all! Low-carb, grapefruit, master cleanse, juice fasts, some weird 3 day diet, the 8 hour diet, south beach, diet pills, etc.

I did weight watchers as well and loved it, but it's too expensive for me to continue on a regular basis. MFP has been the most "normal" eating I've had, so I think I'll stick with it and see where it goes
  • squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Atkins, soup diet (only ate vegetable soup all day long), warm water diet, 500 calories, some pills, Weight Watchers...
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Oh, I remember falling for that CICO bullcrap.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I tried the "ABC" (Anna Boot Camp) diet last year, fasting (which resulted in binges)… very unhealthy and only made me gain more weight. Turns out, I really love food :)
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Low carb
  • alsoagood1
    alsoagood1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers (back in the 70's)
    Jenny Craig
    NutriSystem
    Scarsdale Diet
    Weight Watchers (in the 80's)
    Mayo Clinic Diet
    Grapefruit Diet
    Weight Watchers (in the 90's)
    Cabbage Soup Diet
    several diet pills
    Cambridge Diet
    Atkins
    Weight Watchers (last year)

finally decided not to "diet" anymore. i eat what I want within my calorie limit every day. I am exercising and
    working to make myself healthy the old fashioned way - with hard work! If I could go back and tell my younger self
    anything it would be to stop trying to loose quuckly just watch what you eat and good things will happen.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My mother made me do the South Beach diet in High school which btw, was disgusting food.
    I am ashamed to say that I did the crazy, exercise like a maniac 5 times a week and eat very very little. (Lost 21 lbs in 2 weeks, but of course after that I stalled and I was sick of not eating after 2 1/2 months I quit and gained the weight back plus way more)
    And finally some magical "diet" pills. Now I ate what I wanted, weight lifted 5 times a week with the exercise bike but I took some type of vitamins. Lost about 16 lbs doing that.

I JUST WANT TO MAKE THIS VERY CLEAR! *** I do not have an ED and any of this crazy s*** I did was because puberty shot my weight up fast. The last time I did anything stupid to lose weight was at least 4 years ago and they never lasted long...