lost 16Ibs in 4 wks but....

Options
finished stict diet i was on ws delighted i was down 16Ibs now i am starving and extrememly thirsty :( havent excercised since before christmas (bar one day this wk went for walk) weather too bad atm. why am i so hungry and thirsty ? time of month too. (i have pcod doesnt help) polystic ovarian disorder)

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal? Height/weight? Mind opening your diary?
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Probably just your mentality after the diet and for sure your TOM. Load up on lots of water and LOTS of green veggies and then make sure to eat a balance of protein, grains and stuff like that to make sure you don't binge on bad stuff,
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Losing 4 lbs a week is a lot. Tie that into your remark about feeling "starving and thirsty," you may have lost that weight too quickly by not eating enough and your hunger hormones are going crazy.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    by strict I assume that you mean that you were on a very low calorie diet?

IF you really lost 4 lbs/wk of fat, you were at a 2000 calorie/day deficit. You are starving and thirsty now because you are starving and thirsty! What you are doings isn't sustainable and isn't healthy. eat something.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Well drink as much water as you want, if you're thirsty. That may also help with the hunger. But as my new favorite genius Amber so rightly points out, there's not too much help we can provide without some more insight into your general body composition and nutritional intake, targets, etc.
  • Lilihel
    Lilihel Posts: 53
    Options
    How strict was your diet? you're probably hungry and thirsty because you are starving.
  • Jiggle_all_the_way
    Jiggle_all_the_way Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you were on a very low carb diet, it could be glycogen depletion and dehydration. Neither of which mean that you actually lost any fat - mostly you probably just lost water weight and muscle mass. But the side effects are really hungry and really thirsty.

http://combatsportsclinic.com/2011/09/14/weight-cutting-carbohydrate-depletion/
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    IMO sounds like you lost a shed load of water and are really dehydrated.

IMO it is not good to `crash diet` to lose weight fast as you will experience what you are going through now.

You will probably find that once you start eating and getting back those fluids then you will put some of that weight back on.

See it as a good learning curve and try to moderate your eating, drink plenty and go for the long term sustainable goal.

We all would like to lose weight fast but what worked for me is taking it slow and steady and trying to keep it realistic long term x
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well drink as much water as you want, if you're thirsty. That may also help with the hunger. But as my new favorite genius Amber so rightly points out, there's not too much help we can provide without some more insight into your general body composition and nutritional intake, targets, etc.

:heart:
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    If you were on a super strict diet that severely limited your calories, no question as to why you're hungry. You could also be severely dehydrated. If you were in starvation mode, you may have been in Ketosis...it's a condition your body slips into when you're not taking in enough sugar and you start to put out ketones. This generally happens when you're not taking in enough food. I'm no doctor so I can't explain it all but when you are in ketosis, your hunger starts to fade, and your thirst as well. How do you know if you're in ketosis? Most pharmacies sell test strips that will determine. If that was the case, and you were in this state from not enough food, and now you're back to eating more, you may be experiencing higher than normal levels of hunger and thirst. I'd see a doctor for the right amount of calorie intake for you and to maybe have your blood sugar levels checked. We're all just a big chemistry set so be careful how dramatic you go with low calorie diets.